*** 4K Player Thread ***

Man of Honour
Got the Sony X800, sent it back the same day as it can't downmix so the Sonos Playbar wasn't having any of it (stereo only).

Picked up the Samsung UBDK8500 instead. It's curved which is daft, but it downmixes to Dolby 5.1 which suits me just fine. It was also over £100 cheaper and included a free disc, so happy days.

Until I persuade the boss that the Playbar needs relegating to the bedroom and an Atmos system installing in the lounge. And the 55" replaced with at least 65" OLED......I can dream :p

Soldato
Received my US-model Sony BDP-S3700 Bluray player and all working fine. Only issue is the power supply is US-only so I had to use the one from my UK model but you can get replacements for a tenner.

So I now have a means of playing Region 1 DVDs and Region A Blurays for the grand total of £68 which is a lot cheaper than buying a modded player.

Not directly 4K player related so slightly off-topic but the purpose of this was to allow the import of US 4K discs where the accompanying Bluray is region locked as the extras are often only on that disc.

Soldato
Not directly 4K player related so slightly off-topic but the purpose of this was to allow the import of US 4K discs where the accompanying Bluray is region locked as the extras are often only on that disc.

You do know that 4k discs are not region locked ? I have imported John Wick on 4k with a normal bluray and both play fine on my UB900.

Soldato
I thought the review was quite clear when it said the X800 would not be upgradeable to DV.

As neither my player nor TV support DV, I'm really hoping it fails :D

Yeah i read that about the DV
I thought the review was quite clear when it said the X800 would not be upgradeable to DV.

As neither my player nor TV support DV, I'm really hoping it fails :D

Haha then i hope it does not fail :p

Soldato
not much acivity on this thread - maybe amazon prime day will rejuvinate it, and offer some deals.
(if you know someone with Prime anyway, I dislike the Amazon themprimates and us marketting)

A question to UB900 owners - will this access 4K hdr services on Amazon/Netflix/Youtube ?
I am thinking this (well ub300 £189 RS) seems an excellent player and streamer, the manuals do not list vp9 as a supported usb 4k codec, just hevc, but otherwise, could be a sweet point.
Ub300 does not have all the capabilities of ub900, but tear down pictures show similar layout/circuit-boards/build-quality

Soldato
... along with Mathilda and the plant on 11July - an even better movie no ?
strong reliance on cgi in the 5th element may compromise its transfer though.

Back
Top Bottom