*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Didn't know it had to be updated manually. Will see if it needs an update. Cheers.

Seems ridiculous that you need an app to play bluray films, surely it should come standard.

Soldato
I've got The Martian extended and Logan, no stuttering or sync issues here on the XboneS ?? Both playing 5.1.2 Atmos fine.

Any particular scene? I could do a quick recheck.

Don't have the Martian anymore but Logan skipped at the scene with Laura and Logan in the petrol station, can't remember the time though.

Soldato

(4K players encompass tv's too - so not a big derail)

so what's the deal with Curry's they are advertising deals on "4K Ready tv's" on tv - what is the word ready meant to communicate ?
they (seemed to be LG's principally) are 4K tv's full-stop - afaik
can they not just communicate clearly - HD ready had the connotation of being 720p and not 1080p but that ambiguity does not exist at 4k,
unless the are covering their backsides with respect to 8bit+2 frc and the TV not having a HDR premium certification.
If the BBC started terrestrial broadcasts with hevc and hlg they might not work, but otherwise good to go.

Soldato
(4K players encompass tv's too - so not a big derail)

so what's the deal with Curry's they are advertising deals on "4K Ready tv's" on tv - what is the word ready meant to communicate ?
they (seemed to be LG's principally) are 4K tv's full-stop - afaik
can they not just communicate clearly - HD ready had the connotation of being 720p and not 1080p but that ambiguity does not exist at 4k,
unless the are covering their backsides with respect to 8bit+2 frc and the TV not having a HDR premium certification.
If the BBC started terrestrial broadcasts with hevc and hlg they might not work, but otherwise good to go.

Actually it could in the same way as HD Ready is to 1080p. 4k is not UHD. Our "4k" tv's are actually UHD.

UHD is 3840 × 2160 this is the broadcast standard adopted by BBC, Sky, etc etc etc.
4k is 4096 x 2160

HD ready is 720p ergo
4k ready is UHD 3840 x 2160

so that ambiguity does exist at 4k because all TV's are not true 4k but UHD.

One place where you find true 4k 4096 x 2160 is at the cinema.

Soldato
Stop adding unnecessary confusion. Yes 4K may technically refer to the professional 4096x2160 resolution, just as 2K refers to 2048x1080 but it's become a generic term used to refer to any resolution with a horizontal resolution of around 4000 pixels. Every single domestic TV with a resolution of 3840x2160 is badged as 4K. Continually claiming this is inaccurate is pedantic in the extreme.

Soldato
I am not being pedantic I was giving an explanation why Curry's could be calling their TV's "4k Ready" and since when have I "continually" claimed this? Be accurate for gods sake when accusing someone of being "Pedantic"
If you want me to be pedantic then I could say you are wrong in saying every domestic TV is badged as 4k because if you look at the Samsung website they are badged as 4k UHD not 4k. LG call theirs Ultra HD 4k TV not 4k. Sony is 4k Ultra HD not 4k. If you want me to be even more pedantic no domestic TV has a horizontal resolution of around 4000 pixels its 3840 pixels exactly so who is adding to the confusion now ? Stick that in your pixel pipe and smoke it ! :p

Soldato
I saw Currys on Watchdog too. I went into Curry's just now at lunch to look at something else and asked a salesperson at the TV section what they meant by "4k Ready" and he said it just means "ready for a 4k picture".
I then asked about the 4k players and he said "yes they too are 4k Ready as in ready to receive a 4k bluray disc"

To be honest I was surprised by the range as they seemed to have most of the 4k players in stock bar the UB900. I actually bought my 4k UHD TV from them last year but that was only because a) they were in stock b) price matched Richer Sounds minus £50 and Quidco had another £100 cash back offer on too.

Soldato
If you want me to be pedantic then I could say you are wrong in saying every domestic TV is badged as 4k because if you look at the Samsung website they are badged as 4k UHD not 4k. LG call theirs Ultra HD 4k TV not 4k. Sony is 4k Ultra HD not 4k.

So you claim I'm wrong in saying every domestic TV is badged as 4K by listing three manufacturers who all have "4K" in their product names. Whatever :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom