*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
... and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K from HMV.
not waiting for the reviews ?, saw it last night VFX are throughout, but I subsequently saw this had a 2K Digital intermediate, despite being a new film,
budgetary ? i did not try to research production.

Soldato
I'm holding off on Dunkirk as I'm anticipating the Nolan 4K boxset.

I'm not double dipping any more.

not waiting for the reviews ?, saw it last night VFX are throughout, but I subsequently saw this had a 2K Digital intermediate, despite being a new film,
budgetary ? i did not try to research production.

Yes it's a 2K intermediate but with no GRAIN!! I hate grain with a passion. I don't go to the pictures any more so I don't read the reviews.

Soldato
Spiderman boxset turned up its in a very nice presentation an interesting behind the scenes booklet at the beginning and each "page" in the book also hides the bluray or 4k. Just need to find time to watch it see how good it is by all accounts its a good picture. Also intrigued by the Spiderman 3.1 Editors Cut.

If anyone is interested Deep Discount have 10% off code GIVING expires 6/11

It <ahem> replaces my bluray boxset.... :)

Soldato
Presume you mean you already have some of the films in the collection?

I don't have any of them on 4K as I've been hoping for a box set. Still no confirmation of the 4K version yet though :(

I've got a couple, but I maybe buying interstellar 4K (which is due out next month) as long as they don't add grain.

Soldato
I have not googled it - but are they artificially adding grain to vfx material or original chemical/analogue film, and if so, is it not what the director/cinematograhper(Deakins etc) requested.?

Yes they are adding grain. Independence Day: Resurgence was shot in digital film but they added loads of grain to the 4K version.
Which to me is pointless.

Soldato
ID resurgergence appears to have been shot only at 6K digital and they used anamoprhic lenses and this appears what grain is attributed to.
edges of the picture will not achieve 4k ... maybe some photography folks will comment
The anamorphic effect apparently reduces depth of field, so gives a certain feel to films, and was also used on original ID and the original bladerunner.
New BR2049 did not use anamoprhic, I posted that here, before, and fans were disappointed.
Best anamorphic films :lol
Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner, Alien
Superman: The Movie
A Bridge Too Far
JFK, Snow Falling on Cedars
Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters
Thin Red Line, The New World
Heat
The Elephant Man
coincidental ?

amusingly saw a review that 4K streaming of the original BR shows grain versus the disk directly - additional motivation to get disks vs netflix/apple/amazon 15Mb/s streams

Soldato
jpaul said:
amusingly saw a review that 4K streaming of the original BR shows grain versus the disk directly - additional motivation to get disks vs netflix/apple/amazon 15Mb/s streams

When the quality improvement is at the margins (as it is for VUDU 4k films), I would still stick to a VUDU/Apple 4k stream over a BR disc, especially if the stream is dolby vision/atmos enabled.

Discs are going to have to almost half in price for them to be a consideration right now. I have found the presentations via Apple 4k, VUDU UDX and Sony Ultra to be absolutely outstanding at £6-8 a pop.

Granted Sony Ultra streams are £25 per film but who buys them direct ?

Soldato
Just FYI, you can redeem Sony digital codes through MA to get 4K in iTunes if available and using a 4K code.

Dark Tower was a Sony code but i redeemed through MA to get 4K in iTunes, only cost me $7, better than paying $20 through iTunes.

Soldato
I have my eye on Sony codes that can do that but all my Sony 4k stuff so far ($12-15ish per code) has come with a clear health-warning - redeem via Sony or you'll end up with a HD only flick.

Soldato
Redeem 4K through Sony then you get 4K via their app on the TV, redeem through VUDU and you get HD, redeem through MA to get 4K if using a 4K code.

308dfM3.png

Soldato
yeah, thanks Clovis. I did not have my UV library linked with VUDU which clearly, was not helping either.

I need to do some more Sony codes to see whats what. No dice so far with my current flicks.

Being an old git I tend to pick films that are not widely available on 4k e.g. Crouching Tiger, Bad Boys 1 etc.

Soldato
aren't 4k movies from Apple and everyone else streaming only, except Sony/Samsung/sky have special drives where can store a limited 4k selection

Back
Top Bottom