*** 4K Player Thread ***

Man of Honour
Oh really? I’d happily go for the Panasonic over the Oppo as it’s a brand I know and trust but all the reviews point to the Oppo for PQ.

EDIT - It’s down to £369 at Richersounds :eek: I’ll definitely get that if it’s no worse as it’s basically half price

Soldato
Oh really? I’d happily go for the Panasonic over the Oppo as it’s a brand I know and trust but all the reviews point to the Oppo for PQ.

EDIT - It’s down to £369 at Richersounds :eek: I’ll definitely get that if it’s no worse as it’s basically half price
Also depends if you want Dobly Vision.

The pana’s won’t ever support it.

Soldato
but all the reviews point to the Oppo for PQ.

I thought it was the reverse ?

At risk of linking another Vincent video 3 Reasons We Use OPPO 203 for TV Reviews + Pro Tips & Tricks
the chroma-upscaling and hdr->sdr are oppo 'problems' vs ub900, also he implies oppo is unique; for 1080blu-ray can let the TV do the upscale.

.... the 64k question on whether dv is worth it, versus better & dynamic tone mapping available on 2017 tv's, still stands

Soldato

Your LG OLED supports Dolby Vision the Panasonic player doesn’t.

Soldato
Does anyone know if the UV codes in 4k discs are redeemable as 4k streams on any site? To access via a smart TV app I should add.

I’ve tried reading up on it and it seems the VUDU app which I use to redeem my UV codes is not available without using a VPN and a console/tablet or a very small number of smart TV.

UV are just the distributor, they use another service to show the content.

If you have the VUDU app on your phone then you can use a chrome cast to cast to your tv.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking for a 4k uhd player as I've finally taken the plunge & ordered an LG55B7
Would an Xbox S be a worthwhile Uhd player as they can be picked up for £150 now or would a dedicated player still be the better option?

Dont really want to spend more than £200 for a player so the Xbox is tempting, however I'm wary of skimping after spending a decent amount on the tv & AV amp.

Soldato
Looking for a 4k uhd player as I've finally taken the plunge & ordered an LG55B7
Would an Xbox S be a worthwhile Uhd player as they can be picked up for £150 now or would a dedicated player still be the better option?

Dont really want to spend more than £200 for a player so the Xbox is tempting, however I'm wary of skimping after spending a decent amount on the tv & AV amp.
a dedicated will always be better.

The Xbox x and Xbox s were washing out blacks but that has now been fixed in the latest patch.

How ever after the patch the Xbox is still displaying incorrect colours.

I have the Xbox s and I haven’t been impressed with it from the start.

Noisy, clunky to use and mine like many others is prone to have the odd stutter in playback.

I think the Pana UB400 is around 200quid now And the flagship 300?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the replies, I'll have a read up on a few machines to see what looks good. May stretch the budget to £300 & call it a Christmas present!
TBH you give the best reason yourself to go with a dedicated player. You have just dropped some serious money on a cracking TV and amp. Might as well drop a few more quid to get the best truest picture you can.

I’m waiting for a few more Dolby Vision blurays reviews before picking a player.

Soldato
OP
I’ve tried reading up on it and it seems the VUDU app which I use to redeem my UV codes is not available without using a VPN and a console/tablet or a very small number of smart TV.

UV are just the distributor, they use another service to show the content.

If you have the VUDU app on your phone then you can use a chrome cast to cast to your tv.

Any TV app that supports UV? Rakuten only covers about 8 of my entire UV collection.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Cheers. I've been looking for a good/reasonably priced player to plug the gap until a Dolby Vision player that isn't rubbish or very expensive hits the market.

Back
Top Bottom