*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
There’s over 100 websites that sell digital US codes, it’s been going on for a few years now.

Doesnt make it right though does it.

Anyway lets get back on topic and forget the morals of buying this way and get back to discussing 4k movies and players. Using Apple products is selling out to the man anyway. (sarcastic jokey comment warning)..... :)

Has anyone bought the Samsung UBDM9000 or UBDM9500 players are there any improvements over the K8500 ?

Soldato
The abyss - Not 4k, but discussed earlier in this thread, and maybe an indication of its imminent 4k release;
seems the abyss is now on netflix anyone seen it ? if it is the newer 1080 cut then could look good.

For material only available in 1080p I do not see why netflix do not broadcast it with the 4K 15Mb/s bitrate - a half way house.

Soldato
Not the Special Edition version though so that could be why they are not broadcasting it in 4k its to create interest in an imminent 4k release. Although surprisingly its got the rat under water scenes that are usually cut on TV. Just watched a bit on the app but will check it out at home.

Just ordered the 4k Spiderman Trilogy special Edition from Deep Discount for £47. Blurays also contain Spiderman 2.1 and Spiderman 3.1 (this cut makes the film a lot better apparently) and are region free also.

Soldato
First hints about the forthcoming Nolan collection in 4K. Was up on a foreign site briefly but has now gone. Standard Bluray box is out in December so hopefully the 4K version makes an appearance at the same time.

Batman trilogy, Inception, Interstellar, The Prestige & Dunkirk - I'm all over that no matter what it costs!

Soldato
First hints about the forthcoming Nolan collection in 4K. Was up on a foreign site briefly but has now gone. Standard Bluray box is out in December so hopefully the 4K version makes an appearance at the same time.

Batman trilogy, Inception, Interstellar, The Prestige & Dunkirk - I'm all over that no matter what it costs!

I posted about it a wee while back :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/4k-player-thread.18728220/page-51#post-31106816

Definitely interested in Interstellar, Inception and Dunkirk. I enjoyed the Batman Trilogy but wouldn't rush out to buy that one compared to the first 3 I mentioned. Matrix is a classic but I have seen it a fair few times now!

Soldato
I posted about it a wee while back :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/4k-player-thread.18728220/page-51#post-31106816

Definitely interested in Interstellar, Inception and Dunkirk. I enjoyed the Batman Trilogy but wouldn't rush out to buy that one compared to the first 3 I mentioned. Matrix is a classic but I have seen it a fair few times now!

Yeah been news about individual films before but not the box-set itself.

Dunkirk is confirmed for Dec 18th and looks like all the IMAX stuff will be 16:9 which should be amazing as it accounts for about 75% of the film.

Soldato
Dunkirk is confirmed for Dec 18th and looks like all the IMAX stuff will be 16:9 which should be amazing as it accounts for about 75% of the film.
that was a joke ? that they will not be releasing the good 2.39 : 1 aspect ratio version, rather the 16:9 so 25% less ?
the comments on avforums do not seem to say what is planned

edit scratch that I was think of blade runner - although question about multiple aspects may still apply

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitively Pacific Rim for HDR - The movies you've listed above are actually 2k Digital intermediates upscaled to 4K.

Logan looks good - True 4k.

It is hard to beat Pacific Rim to be honest.

JFYI - I class the VUDU UHD version (Dolby Vision+Atmos) to be better than the 4k Bluray Disc. If you appreciate a bit of grain I can also highly recommend 'The Fifth Element'. Great quality from either VUDU or the Ultra app.

I also consider 'Sully' to be in the same band as Pacific Rim and the fifth element, just without the wow factor.

For shame I admit to paying the full $28USD for 4k 'Bad Boys' via the Sony Ultra app on my Sony A1, that is some upgrade in quality from the 1080p Bluray. I was blown away by it, almost full frame too.

I can also recommend 'Looper' 4k, also available via Ultra.

It is hard to recommend any Blu-ray 4k player apart from the Oppo or the Cambridge at the moment due to all the confusion and lack of support on decks regarding Dolby Vision support. I think I would stick with the Oppo as it has DACs. Neither are cheap.

Soldato
It is hard to recommend any Blu-ray 4k player apart from the Oppo or the Cambridge at the moment due to all the confusion and lack of support on decks regarding Dolby Vision support. I think I would stick with the Oppo as it has DACs. Neither are cheap.

The 2017 Lg oleds have dynamic tone mapping that seems to negate the need for dolby vision (you have a fast enough processor to evaluate the brightness frame by frame), and equally according to Vincents's comments it/DV is of less benefit than hdr on a higher nit lcd display (see qled thread) so choosing a player with dv may not be essential.
I understand LG player has DV too, anyway.

The oppo dacs, like the ub900 are just for 2.0 output, if you do not have a a/v processor too - afaik,
the lesser ub700 (similar build quality in tear-downs), with same colour processor, is the 900 without dacs and can be had for <£200, which is less than 1/3 of OPPO, so the oppo seems a big premium.

Have they now fixed the oppo's infancy problems (tone mapping ?) that had given negative comments versus the ub900 too ?

Soldato
Added some more 4K films to my collection, Blade Runner and starship troopers.

Also should be getting my IT digital code any day now, also pre ordered Blade Runner 2049 which should be available in the US 2 months before the UK.

Soldato
Have they now fixed the oppo's infancy problems (tone mapping ?) that had given negative comments versus the ub900 too ?

full disclosure, i don't own any deck at the minute.

as far as i know none of the LG decks currrently support DV if you want DV you will need an oppo or a ca.

the LG will get a firmware update at some point for DV.

if you don't want the oppo DACS you can always buy the CA deck which uses the same chipset.

i am a 2ch junkie so am leaning towards the oppo.

imho if there is problem with tone mapping it's probably down to the infancy of the format and Oppo will fix it.

Soldato
full disclosure, i don't own any deck at the minute.

as far as i know none of the LG decks currrently support DV if you want DV you will need an oppo or a ca.

the LG will get a firmware update at some point for DV.

if you don't want the oppo DACS you can always buy the CA deck which uses the same chipset.

i am a 2ch junkie so am leaning towards the oppo.

imho if there is problem with tone mapping it's probably down to the infancy of the format and Oppo will fix it.
The LG player got the DV update a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom