*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Picked up The great wall last weekend. Yes yes I know but I really like it lol makes me chuckle and has some great action scenes

This transfer is utterly breathtaking in places. The deatailing in the armour the colours in certain parts is fantastic. Not very consistent mind but when it's good it's brilliant.

Soldato
Not sure if other players have this feature but on the Oppo 203, a new mode in recent firmware has allowed forced Dolby Vision, so any 1080p bluray, 4k HDR10 discs get converted to Dolby Vision, and boy does it work wonders.

Soldato
Not sure if other players have this feature but on the Oppo 203, a new mode in recent firmware has allowed forced Dolby Vision, so any 1080p bluray, 4k HDR10 discs get converted to Dolby Vision, and boy does it work wonders.
how do you mean. -
samsung had functionality to try and hdr, sdr(1080 blue-ray) images with poor reviews, and you can't realistically add dynamic range that isn't there at source;
equally, if your 4k tv has dynamic contrast as, lg, panasonic do, they will already do scene by scene mastering, so DV seems un-necessary, versus hdr10.
(since the tv knows what the capability of the tv is, dynamic contrast aught to be better optimised)
what am I missing ?

Soldato
how do you mean. -
samsung had functionality to try and hdr, sdr(1080 blue-ray) images with poor reviews, and you can't realistically add dynamic range that isn't there at source;
equally, if your 4k tv has dynamic contrast as, lg, panasonic do, they will already do scene by scene mastering, so DV seems un-necessary, versus hdr10.
(since the tv knows what the capability of the tv is, dynamic contrast aught to be better optimised)
what am I missing ?

Basically the Oppo has a setting that can change HDR10 discs to DV as well as 1080p blurays and I assume DVD.

The feedback from everyone who has tested it has said it works really well, obviously you need a DV capable TV.

Soldato
OP

I thought that as well... I posted somewhere else and somebody said it had been recanted.... Need to find that

Ah.... Found it

"Updated July 16, 2018:Microsoft has reached out to Windows Central to clarify the initial statement reported by CNET was not accurate. For now, Dolby Vision Xbox One support is currently set to be limited to streaming. Here's hoping Dolby Vision disc support makes its debut one day! "

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-dolby-vision-hdr-support-extends-discs-fall?amp

Lol just realised its the same article. You obviously didn't read the update lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom