*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
Is the cyberlink 4k playing software accompanying the drives clunky/unreliable ? used to have their poor stuff bundled on a sony vaio laptop.
otherwise I thought ripping (your own) 4K discs was a complex process - need particular drive firmware (look back at earlier posts)

Drives can be noisy too ... so, although I playback (multi-region) blue-ray on a computer w/dvdfab I would/will get a dedicated player if I want to collect 4k discs.

Soldato
OP
Anyone recommend a good 4k CD Drive for PC ?

If you're going down that route, make sure your pc meets the requirements.

" in order to play UHD Blu-rays, your system must support AACS 2.0 and Intel’s Software Guard Extensions (SGX). You’ll need software to play the disc itself (CyberLink has an updated software solution set to ship in the near future), and a GPU with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support. AACS 2.0 also has to be implemented within the GPU driver, and no current stand-alone GPU drivers have this functionality. Finally, you need a 4K TV with both HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 support as well. "

**. QUOTE from 2017 so it's slightly inaccurate

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone using the HDMI input on the Oppo 203? Wasnt sure if it had pass through or the player had to be on? I know that’s extremely unlikely but thought I’d check and the manual is crap

Associate
Where's good for well priced 4k films? I just got a player in the Zoom day sale and only have Blue Planet 2. Looked at the discs in the local supermarket and was surprised at the premium for the 4k version, then checked Amazon and saw some films are listed as £50! for a (possibly old) film, wtf?!? So, where are people getting discs from?

Caporegime
I think a few studios are just cashing in on the 4K hype train so be sure to do your research before buying 4K releases as some are no better than the standard Bluray releases, despite the price being significantly higher. There are websites which list if they're native 4K or not.

Soldato
Picked up an LG 970 for £70 shipped and satisfied so far as a 4k media player and disc spinner. No complaints. Does dolby vision and hdr10. Seems better than my xboxs. I've ended up with a Jan 2018 quiet one too which is good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where's good for well priced 4k films? I just got a player in the Zoom day sale and only have Blue Planet 2. Looked at the discs in the local supermarket and was surprised at the premium for the 4k version, then checked Amazon and saw some films are listed as £50! for a (possibly old) film, wtf?!? So, where are people getting discs from?

https://store.hmv.com/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray/4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-2-for-30

2 for £30

Reviews of 4K films https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

And as for real 4K intermediate, some 2K are better than some 4K.
And you have the discs that have 1000-4000 nits. Depends if your TV can do the nit count.

And don't forget that some films will have added grain :mad: I hate grain on digital films.

Soldato
OP

If you are prepared to play the waiting game on new releases then 4K films come up 2 for £30 on hmv and amazon all the time. You do get the odd amazing deal. Mission impossible 5 film set is £34.99 if you buy anything else with hmv atm. If you are a pure hmv member you can buy it alone in store st that price.

Soldato
I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread but what is the current recommendation for a 4k Blu-ray player? I know I could get an Xbox One S or an Xbox One X, but I have no desire to play games, so I was thinking of just getting a regular 4k Blu-ray player.

Soldato
Ive had a Sammy 8500 for about a year and its a decent machine but Im getting quite a lot of disc noise now, so when I got my OLED recently I ordered an X700 (for dual HDMI mainly) and so far so good although Ive only had it for a matter of hours (is a little plasticky, and find the remote a little small for my large hands - but the performance is so far decent).

for the price - these are merely observations rather than real faults

Back
Top Bottom