*** 4K Player Thread ***

Well this certainly got emotional; wasn't my intention by mentioning the Samsung! :-)

The 'audiophile' components in the Panasonic appeals to me as I do like my audio, but I suspect it's only relevant, as above, with the analogue outputs. My Yamaha blu-ray player is the same, it even states in the manual to use the analogue outputs when listening to CD's for better quality than over HDMI. The differences are always very subtle but you can't help but notice sometimes the differences the analogue components have.

But.. of course.. everything has a DAC in it.. The player, the amp, the TV.. it just comes down to which one sounds best _to you_. I certainly wouldn't be blinded by a spec sheet on paper - surely you want to listen to something you like rather than something you think you should have to like.

The cost, lol.

Some people dont want to compromise. Some people are happy to do so when you're saving a significant amount of money.

Exactly. Just because you can afford something doesn't make it good value for money. Many people who don't need the additional features of the Panny will balk at paying nearly twice the price for much the same playback quality.

Deuse, if you want to pay the extra then go right ahead, just stop posting inaccurate rubbish such as "Not a very good player by all accounts".

What sort of difference is there, anyway? is there a decent review i can have a read of? I'm not including whathifi of course, who seem to think that two two players sound significantly different even when bitstreaming the same content....:o

AVForums reviewed both and said their playback quality was pretty much identical.

Last edited:
The Panasonic has better up scaling of 1080p blurays also according to people who actually own it including people who tried the Samsung. Thought I'd just throw that in there. :)

Exactly. Just because you can afford something doesn't make it good value for money. Many people who don't need the additional features of the Panny will balk at paying nearly twice the price for much the same playback quality.

Deuse, if you want to pay the extra then go right ahead, just stop posting inaccurate rubbish such as "Not a very good player by all accounts".

AVForums reviewed both and said their playback quality was pretty much identical.

I paid the extra for the Better picture quality. All reviews\forums say the same.
And as for "Not a very good player by all accounts" reviews back it up.

But I do love the "much the same" being quoted here. That's like saying a Ferrari is a Ferrari.
And why do you think the Samsung has fallen in price? because no one wants it.. You could wait for the OPPO version to come out?

And as for "Not a very good player by all accounts" reviews back it up.

No they don't. far from it, you dont get a player with perfect playback that's 'not a very good player'.

=Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review

Should I buy one?

The Samsung UBD-K8500 is a great Ultra HD Blu-ray player that has been designed to offer a comprehensive set of features in an easy-to-use package. The player itself is nicely designed and reasonably well made and our only real compliant would be that the built-in fan can get a bit noisy. There's no display at the front and just a few simple buttons, whilst at the rear there is a simplified set of connections that includes twin HDMI outputs. These could prove very useful if your soundbar or AV receiver doesn't support HDMI 2.0a or HDCP 2.2, allowing you to still enjoy Ultra HD, HDR and lossless audio. The provided remote is a bit small and fiddly and there's no remote app but setting up and operating the K8500 couldn't be easier. The Samsung includes Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, which means it can be used as a single source for Ultra HD 4K video, and it can also access your home network to stream other content. We found that in general the K8500 proved a highly effective performer when it came to streaming content, with the emphasis again on ease-of-use. The player was also very capable in terms of digital audio, supporting an extensive number of file formats and including some useful sound features.

AVForums.

The only real downside is that Panasonic’s DMP-UB900 4K player offers a better video performance than the Samsung – as you might expect from a deck costing a good £170 more. But, judged on its own merits, the UBD-K8500 is a terrific player that gets Ultra HD Blu-ray off to a very encouraging start.
TRustedReviews. Which you posted.

It seems the reviews don't agree with you at all.

But I do love the "much the same" being quoted here. That's like saying a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

ah, you get it!

And why do you think the Samsung has fallen in price? because no one wants it.. You could wait for the OPPO version to come out?

Samsung are probably worried the xbox is going to leave little reason to buy it:p

Last edited:
Samsung has dropped in price because A) its summer - low buying point for such tech and B) sales of 4k players in general is possibly low. Panasonic is probably holding its price because its seen as the audiophile videophile choice and probably still has good sales. We must all be mad for buying one anyway its basically a blu ray player with better visuals for more than £300. Just wait till they drop to £150 or less, oh wait we cant thats why we're here ! :) Who in their right mind would buy one of these now ! :)

Anyway I`ll upset you technophile snobs I have a Panasonic 50DX750B and I went with the Samsung.... :)

What I found curious though was at the time, two weeks ago the price of both units were virtually the same give or take £20 or so or less. I searched high and low and no one had each one any cheaper than their competitors to warrant a "bargain".

No they don't. far from it, you dont get a player with perfect playback that's 'not a very good player'.

AVForums.

TRustedReviews. Which you posted.

It seems the reviews don't agree with you at all.

ah, you get it!

Samsung are probably worried the xbox is going to leave little reason to buy it:p

I do agree with the reviews I posted "Panasonic’s DMP-UB900 4K player offers a better video performance than the Samsung"

That's why I bought it. Better picture...better HDR. The sound I don't give a crap about.

And the GTC4LUSSO is no were near as good as a LA Ferrari..but they are both Ferraris ;)

I do agree with the reviews I posted "Panasonic’s DMP-UB900 4K player offers a better video performance than the Samsung"

That's why I bought it. Better picture...better HDR. The sound I don't give a crap about.

Right, so you cant understand why people would compromise on picture quality to save money yet you don't care about the audio. You say the samsung is 'not a very good player' despite linking to reviews which state otherwise. And You keep pointing out why the panasonic is better, despite having been told more than once that that isnt being disputed and isn't the focus of the discussion.

I just..There's nothing else i can really say to that.

BUUeY3v.gif

Last edited:
Right, so you cant understand why people would compromise on picture quality to save money yet you don't care about the audio. You say the samsung is 'not a very good player' despite linking to reviews which state otherwise. And You keep pointing out why the panasonic is better, despite having been told more than once that that isnt being disputed and isn't the focus of the discussion.

I just..There's nothing else i can really say to that.

No because I'm hard of hearing and use good headphones.
Even though the sound is better on the Panasonic it really doesn't matter to me.
The Panasonic is better in all departments. But if you can't afford one buy the Samsung and hope.

Picture quality has got to be the best for me. The Panasonic and my Sony 85X85 fits the bill.

why do you use good headphones if you dont care about audio? if you dont care about audio, why do you think everybody should care as much about picture quality as you do?

deuse you completely refuse to accept that other people have other priorities and i have no idea why.

Im confused as to why any player would be different when showing digital loseless content
Well, video is a complex business, especially with 4k and HDR thrown in. Its more about making sure the player understands the capability of the screen in order to get the best out of it and i guess the two players arent quite the same in that regard? also obviously player other content, 1080p blurays for example, and upscaling them will be different across the different players. Since the player has to do some processing there, there's going to be differences. same with dvd playback.

Audio, much simplier. Unless the player is spitting out decoded LPCM, then all it has to do is literally read the audio stream off the disk and send it over hdmi to the amp. That's called bitstream, and its impossible for it to sound different unless the player is actively processing the stream before it sends it on. I dont think any player is going to decode the stream, fiddle around with it, then reencode it and send it to an amp.

but none of that matters, apparently, because the panasonic is better.

Last edited:
why do you use good headphones if you dont care about audio? if you dont care about audio, why do you think everybody should care as much about picture quality as you do?

deuse you completely refuse to accept that other people have other priorities and i have no idea why.

**inappropriate**

Again if you can't afford the Panasonic buy the Samsung. I'm hoping the OPPO will be better then I'll buy that.

**inappropriate**
Also removed. Please don't rise to it.

Again if you can't afford the Panasonic buy the Samsung. I'm hoping the OPPO will be better then I'll buy that..

oh you still think it's about affordability. You've ignored everything you've been told in this thread unless you happen to agree with it and you seem desperate to demonstrate how much disposable income you have when nobody is really interested.

I'll leave this here, maybe if you read it again it might sink in:

james.miller said:

Last edited:
Ok guys, this is a friendly reminder to keep things civil and on topic.

If you have an issue with anyone, please click the RTM button next to the post and we can take it from there.

isn't differences between 4k blu ray players negligible in terms of PQ?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...created-equal-blu-ray-player-benchmark-4.html

i know that is referring to 1080p players but i don't see how the new ones make any difference.

the difference if any is so small it's not recognised. what is different is perhaps build quality, they should in theory last longer, be more smooth, not as noisy and load faster. however i still think the best way to buy into these is consoles (kill 2 birds with 1 stone) if you play them.

the original ps1 was regarded as one of the best cd players you could buy

http://www.retrothing.com/2007/07/playstation-1-a.html

http://musicalmusings.themindofgame.com/2010/06/original-playstation-audiophiles-dream/

https://www.destructoid.com/playstation-1-the-audiophile-s-dream--32269.phtml

sony certainly seem to know how to make quality consoles

i don't see the point in buying a seperate player i'll wait for the console revisions

Last edited:
isn't differences between 4k blu ray players negligible in terms of PQ?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...created-equal-blu-ray-player-benchmark-4.html

i know that is referring to 1080p players but i don't see how the new ones make any difference.

the difference if any is so small it's not recognised. what is different is perhaps build quality, they should in theory last longer, be more smooth, not as noisy and load faster. however i still think the best way to buy into these is consoles (kill 2 birds with 1 stone) if you play them.

the original ps1 was regarded as one of the best cd players you could buy

http://www.retrothing.com/2007/07/playstation-1-a.html

http://musicalmusings.themindofgame.com/2010/06/original-playstation-audiophiles-dream/

https://www.destructoid.com/playstation-1-the-audiophile-s-dream--32269.phtml

sony certainly seem to know how to make quality consoles

i don't see the point in buying a seperate player i'll wait for the console revisions

If i remember right, the ps3 was far cheaper than other blu-ray playes of its time.

Back
Top Bottom