4k Ultrawide Gsync 120Hz+ or OLED TV alternative

Soldato
OP
I just wanted to update this thread, having created it almost 2 years ago now.

The conversation did turn to OLED TVs and I was very tempted, however after doing all the research I ended up buying a cheap 4k 43" TV to pair with my X34a just to see how I get on with it. I went for LG-43UJ630V for £330.

Pros:
  • 4k image looks great quality
  • Screen size is perfect for a small office environment
  • HDR looks nice and this isn't even "proper" HDR
  • Watching YouTube, Netflix, BT Sport etc is much better on the TV than the X34a
  • Ultra HD from content providers looks really good
  • Built in WiFi on the TV means apps are really convenient as opposed to browsers on PC
Cons:
  • No Gsync - seriously, I don't think I can game without it now.
  • 60Hz @ 4k - I just can't handle gaming lower than 70-80 FPS now.
  • Desktop use - there's just no way I could use a TV as my main monitor
  • Switching between primary display to game on the TV - it's a pain
  • 16:9 resolution - it's fine for movies & TV but not for gaming or desktop use

I'm really glad I picked this TV up as it's priced really well and is a great addition to my setup, however I would have been gutted if I'd spent the money on OLED as the TV use is so limited in this environment.

I definitely don't want to move from Gsync, high refresh or Ultrawide for PC use so I'm still looking for an upgrade in the 21:9 100Hz+ space. :)

Caporegime
What do you mean by that, Nexus? Wouldn't I want the TV to be native 16:9?

Edit: I also just tried the Big Picture Mode thing, but it just launches on the primary monitor regardless of which monitor steam is open on at the time.

If you want the benefits of 21.9 i.e. the wide FOV without fish eye effect. I do it with some games on my oled, not much of an issue having black bars at the top and bottom as 1. blacks are black and 2. it is still a huge screen area (same as what it would be with 21.9 films)

Check the settings for big picture mode, iirc, you need to set it so that the tv is the one big picture launches on and then have it so that your monitor returns to being the primary display when big picture is closed.

Soldato
OP
3 years after creating this thread and I'm still rocking my X34a! Is it fair to say that monitor tech has stagnated these past few years? Is there any news of higher refresh Ultrawide in the near future?

Associate
I think things have come a decent way regarding ultrawides. If I remember right, around 2014-5 there were only two 60 hz IPS 1440p ultrawides (Dell & LG) and one 60 hz VA one (Samsung). Then the overclockable GSync IPS ones appeared like your X34A and the Asus ROG Swift, along with the 75 Hz Acer FreeSync one. These often went for over £1k and I think that became the time of greatest stagnation, lasting perhaps as long as a couple of years.

The biggest relief is that ultrawides didn't end up just being a short-lived fad, but have fortunately developed real traction which has put developers under pressure to make sure the resolution is supported. That ultrawide would 'make it' wasn't a sure thing back in its earliest days and it could've gone the same way that 3D monitors/TVs did.

Caporegime
3 years after creating this thread and I'm still rocking my X34a! Is it fair to say that monitor tech has stagnated these past few years? Is there any news of higher refresh Ultrawide in the near future?
There are 144Hz panels out there but they're horrendously expensive. £1,150 for example. And that's not to mention the difficulty of running a monitor at that res at 120Hz+ in recent games. You'll need a 2080ti to do it.

Soldato
OP
3 and a half years on, I'm still trying to find a worthy replacement. What a buy this x34a was, TBF. :p

I didn't want to start a new thread, so have a slightly off topic question. Has anyone purchased a 4k TV that supports Gsync and Freesync? I currently have an LG 43" as a second screen for Netflix, BT Sport etc. But I hate gaming on it due to tearing. I'm thinking in the absence of a UW upgrade for my x34a then an upgrade to the TV would be good.

Looking ideally for 43" but could go to 50" if required.

TIA :)

Caporegime
Has anyone purchased a 4k TV that supports Gsync and Freesync?

Just a heads-up the 43" Acer and Asus monitors have a bit of ghosting, nothing horrific from my experience but it's there. I'd personally be waiting on the new OLED 48" LG's that should be announced next week, paired with the new nvidia card (with HDMI 2.1) they should be a nice pairing (if you can live with the size).

Soldato
OP
Just a heads-up the 43" Acer and Asus monitors have a bit of ghosting, nothing horrific from my experience but it's there. I'd personally be waiting on the new OLED 48" LG's that should be announced next week, paired with the new nvidia card (with HDMI 2.1) they should be a nice pairing (if you can live with the size).

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom