4k Ultrawide Gsync 120Hz+ or OLED TV alternative

Associate
And yup that is why I m always mesmerised by people who are happy spending £700+ on monitors, just makes no sense :o (unless size is an issue....) when you can get a better TV for either cheaper, same or slightly more.

That is pretty much the only reason why I didn't go this route - size. I just think ANY 4K TV is too big for comfortable use on a desk, which is where I spend much of my PC time. Otherwise, it would have been a no-brainer.

So I've got an X34, and yes, expensive for what you get, but it is what it is, I couldn't live with having a large TV that close to me. Black performance is a bit of a weakness but otherwise I am very impressed with it still, and I own a 65" HDR 4K TV in the lounge so it's not like I'm a stranger to such things.

Caporegime
Yup there is no way I would use a 55" let alone anything bigger than 34" (even that is a bit big for my liking) for normal desktop usage, TV is set up just like you would a TV i.e. far back with a couch and then monitor/desk/chair for desktop usage and certain games.

I personally can't see OLED coming any time soon to the monitor market even if the burn in issue got "cured", too many other factors at play i.e. too expensive for the incredibly small monitor market, you just won't get an OLED monitor for anywhere near the price of the oled tvs in the next 1-2 years, possibly longer, only way this will change is if the monitor consumer base increases dramatically to tv market levels, which won't happen or/and manufacturers can find a way to manufacture the panels for a lot cheaper and the only way this is likely to happen is if they cut corners i.e. QC testing and so on.

You just need to look at the monitor market over the last 5 years, no progress has been made in panel improvements (outside of refresh rate and higher resolution + sync tech.) and even now all these so called "HDR" displays are still barely improving on the previous panels, only improvement for these "HDR" displays has been brightness levels and a few other things, they still fall short in every way possible in order to provide a true HDR experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
@tyler_jrb Nice purchase man!! You're using this for desktop use yes? How are you finding the step down to 60Hz, noticeable? Is the glossy panel reflecting much in general use?

Thanks! :D, I've just dug out my old 27" 1080p panel for desktop use where needed. Just use it for settings etc, overclocking, general browsing.

Rest it just loads up in big picture mode and it's easy from there. Plays beautifully and smooth at 60hz. Have not missed g-sync. Have not missed high refresh to be honest. It does feel smoother than desktop at 60hz. It's noticeable but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. 60hz was horrid on the monitor but TV it feels a lot smoother.

Plus you have the bonus of 1080p 120hz if required which I will be using for fps games with a mouse (bought a lap style surface) roccat sova, very good. And it still looks good, that's before upscaling the resolution in game which makes it look even better.

Glossy panel is fine even with light on directly above it doesn't reflect a huge amount. I'm quite picky when it comes to screen coatings and I like it.

I don't miss my old setup one bit. The colours, infinite contrast, hdr, 4k, pure blacks outweigh everything any current monitor can offer.

A lot of games just feel like a different world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, I'm going to skip them as they don't offer enough over the X34a to justify the upgrade.

The 200hz 35" 3444x1440 has 512 zone FALD, 3000:1 contrast and HDR. So that with Gsync and 35" would be a big upgrade from the X34. Not in resolution, but in everything else it is an upgrade.

Soldato
The 200hz 35" 3444x1440 has 512 zone FALD, 3000:1 contrast and HDR. So that with Gsync and 35" would be a big upgrade from the X34. Not in resolution, but in everything else it is an upgrade.

Yeah it is a decent upgrade from the X34 both specs wise and hopefully quality wise.

Me personally, I'm not a fan of the steep curved panels though. The X34 was perfect in terms of curve depth for me.

Won't be buying it myself but will keep an eye on it when it gets released. See if it lives up to the hype and ofc how much it will cost.

Soldato
Yeah it is a decent upgrade from the X34 both specs wise and hopefully quality wise.

Me personally, I'm not a fan of the steep curved panels though. The X34 was perfect in terms of curve depth for me.

Won't be buying it myself but will keep an eye on it when it gets released. See if it lives up to the hype and ofc how much it will cost.

Hm the X34 curve is perfect in that I do not even notice it is curved, more curve could be a problem.

Caporegime
Well so far it is looking like LG's 2018 OLEDs are going to be rather under whelming to say the least.... Only 120HZ via internal i.e. applications and via USB and as Vince predicted, no HDMI 2.1. Same panels as last year too supposedly.... This time the B will be different i.e. have a lesser chip than the others so this looks like it will be the true budget entry and may have quite a bit of an effect on the pricing across the range, I suspect future deals/discounts will be a bit disappointing as a result too.

So my advice, if you see any deals on the 2017 LG OLEDs for <£1300 buy one and enjoy :cool:

Unless LG have yet to reveal big news........

Soldato
Mmm, this is what I have come to expect... manufacturers doing the absolute bare minimum when it comes to innovation. They do just enough to make profits, knowing they can sell this to the uneducated consumer as something fancy and new when it is merely an incremental improvement on what's come before. The vast majority of consumers are clueless, and this is what they count on.

Caporegime
Got ASCO the other week and it is stunning looking on OLED, the colours pop so much and exploring dark tombs is amazing.

This is where OLED really shines, proper "black"!

k12UH8o.jpg

Can only just imagine how much better the game would look in HDR mode :eek:

Mmm, this is what I have come to expect... manufacturers doing the absolute bare minimum when it comes to innovation. They do just enough to make profits, knowing they can sell this to the uneducated consumer as something fancy and new when it is merely an incremental improvement on what's come before. The vast majority of consumers are clueless, and this is what they count on.

2018 sets are actually looking to have some nice tweaks now:

1. improved colour graduation i.e. smoother transitions
2. much bigger RGB pixels, which will further reduce the likely hood of burn in
3. BFI so less judder and less blur in terms of motion clarity without resorting to trumotion (although iirc, this is only applicable to 24HZ/FPS content i.e. films)

I'm sure there will be more things once the likes of hdtv tests get their hands on one.

Hopefully they will be able to sort out the biggest problem with oled, which is the lottery with regards to vertical banding and tinting on whites, essentially the uniformity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got ASCO the other week and it is stunning looking on OLED, the colours pop so much and exploring dark tombs is amazing.

This is where OLED really shines, proper "black"!

k12UH8o.jpg

Can only just imagine how much better the game would look in HDR mode :eek:

2018 sets are actually looking to have some nice tweaks now:

1. improved colour graduation i.e. smoother transitions
2. much bigger RGB pixels, which will further reduce the likely hood of burn in
3. BFI so less judder and less blur in terms of motion clarity without resorting to trumotion (although iirc, this is only applicable to 24HZ/FPS content i.e. films)

I'm sure there will be more things once the likes of hdtv tests get their hands on one.

Hopefully they will be able to sort out the biggest problem with oled, which is the lottery with regards to vertical banding and tinting on whites, essentially the uniformity.

BFI would reduce the sample and hold blur, but would not do anything for judder AFAIK. I was testing the B7 in the shop and it looked pretty good at "2" on trumotion, definitely better than the 2016 models anyway, anything more than "2" and you get the offensive looking "soap opera effect" but I really cannot tolerate OLED without any motion interpolation it looks extremely juddery. Does sound like the 2018 models could be good, because the main area that LG is lacking compared to Sony and Panasonic, is the image processing.. Sony has X1 extreme and panasonic has HCX2, which are both significantly better than LG's processing. Annoying how there will not be HDMI 2.1 to go with the 120hz on the 2018 models though.

Caporegime
BFI would reduce the sample and hold blur, but would not do anything for judder AFAIK. I was testing the B7 in the shop and it looked pretty good at "2" on trumotion, definitely better than the 2016 models anyway, anything more than "2" and you get the offensive looking "soap opera effect" but I really cannot tolerate OLED without any motion interpolation it looks extremely juddery. Does sound like the 2018 models could be good, because the main area that LG is lacking compared to Sony and Panasonic, is the image processing.. Sony has X1 extreme and panasonic has HCX2, which are both significantly better than LG's processing. Annoying how there will not be HDMI 2.1 to go with the 120hz on the 2018 models though.

I am one of the few who like the soap opera look :D :o

Used it on every TV I've had (even on my previous panny plasma). I rather have that over judder and blur any day of the week.

My settings for 24FPS videos are 10 for de blur and 3 for de-judder.

But yup, the judder without any smoothing tweaks for 24FPS video material is awful on OLED:

- madvr's smooth motion is very good for judder (but it makes the motion too blurry for my liking)
- Real cinema on the TV is very good overall, considerably less judder and motion looks clearer, iirc, Vince from HDTV tests rated it is as good as the sony for this
- tru motion, definitely soap opera but I personally like this as zero judder and the motion is extremely clear looking

I could have sworn that BFI is suppose to help with judder?

And yup, disappointing but hopefully they'll be able to add VRR without HDMI 2.1 as Samsung have done for one of their 2018 TVs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well BFI just puts a black frame between the other frames, which means you do not see the blur between frames, it definitely helps with reducing the motion blur, but interpolation is what reduces judder. Problem with BFI is that OLED is not particularly bright and BFI can drop the brightness by up to 50%. So not sure it will be that good, I saw it on the Sony A1 and it was poor, very dark and flickery, maybe the 2018 OLED's have higher refresh rate so can do BFI better than the 2017 models I don't know.

Which samsung TV has VRR?

Caporegime
Well BFI just puts a black frame between the other frames, which means you do not see the blur between frames, it definitely helps with reducing the motion blur, but interpolation is what reduces judder. Problem with BFI is that OLED is not particularly bright and BFI can drop the brightness by up to 50%. So not sure it will be that good, I saw it on the Sony A1 and it was poor, very dark and flickery, maybe the 2018 OLED's have higher refresh rate so can do BFI better than the 2017 models I don't know.

Which samsung TV has VRR?

Associate
This is the best news i've seen this year, hopefully it will drive down monitor prices a touch too. Really hoping there will be something in the 40-43" curved size space

Associate
it looked like they are supporting VRR, and not saying which or both yet. Would be nice if you could add an nvidia g-sync module optionally.

Back
Top Bottom