• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700X overheating

Associate
OP
Its difficult to know what the score is supposed to be, the 5600X is also a 65 watt CPU but 6 cores, it scores 11,000, the 5800X is 8 core but 105 watts, it scores around 15,500. So somewhere between that.

Your 12.172 run looks perhaps a little low but temps are excellent and its only drawing 62 watts on the cores.

The 14,579 was a higher? over 100 watts on the cores.

@locrieth what are you getting on yours, stock?

That was mine at stock (12,172), I think the other scores must have been when I had PBO enabled and PBO Fmax Enhancer set to auto. I dunno whether to just reset bios to defaults and turn DOCP on and see what i get, don't think I'd changed anything else but just to see what the defaults should be...

Caporegime
https://imgur.com/a/liQsrJD

this is my cinebnech screenshot

dont know why it dont show the screenshot and just the link lol

Sorry yes i @locrieth on the last page but meant you :)

13,500 seems about right to me.

At this point we have figured out what's what with your temperatures, it was pulling too much power to begin with, i feel like that Fmax thing is making a real mess of it, who knows what its doing but what i think it is doing is interfering with the natural state of the CPU.

AMD will have the CPU at a set volts and amps and power limits that are correct for the CPU, that Fmax thing looks to me is just throwing all that out of the window and applying its own values that are no where near optimal for the CPU, for example pushing more volts in to the CPU than it needs which is causing it to use more power than it should so its reducing clocks to stay with in the set power limits and that's why your scores are lower than @aachil

That was mine at stock (12,172), I think the other scores must have been when I had PBO enabled and PBO Fmax Enhancer set to auto. I dunno whether to just reset bios to defaults and turn DOCP on and see what i get, don't think I'd changed anything else but just to see what the defaults should be...

Did you do a run with Fmax set to disabled?

In your BIOS.

Fmax: Disabled
Precision Boost Overdrive: Enabled
Precision Boost Overdrive Scala: Auto
Max CPU Boost Clock Override: Auto
Platform Thermal Throttle Limt: Auto.

Caporegime
@aachil is using the same Motherboard i am, it does not have any of these vendor specific enhancements, and his motherboard seems to be treating his CPU exactly how AMD intended it, so he gets 13.5K scores and nice low temperatures, because AMD know better than Gigabyte or in your case Asus???? :D

Associate
i think pbo is also a problem if you have that enabled locrieth because that just raises everything and volts and brings up the temps
mine is just on auto.
and i have no fmax setting on my motherboard eiether

Associate
OP
So I've disabled (from Auto) the fmax setting and I did 2 tests one with PBO set to Auto, then set to enabled:

eKBcdAu.jpg
CPU PPT MAX: 76W

cIqOOsj.jpg
CPU PPT MAX: 120W

Associate
OP
With the PBO enabled doing Prime 95 smallest FFTs still goes up to 90C and 155W CPU PPT. So my options are leave PBO at auto and sacrifice a bit of performance or leave it on as the Prime 95 smallest FFT test is unrealistic in real world scenarios. I basically use my PC for gaming ...

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't worry too much about benchmark scores. With Speccy, you should be able to see the multipliers for each CPU core, when under load.

Just run a benchmark like CPUz in multithreaded mode, and check the multipliers (and clockspeeds) don't drop over time (more than they should).

Regarding the temps, you could just set a power limit, so that your CPU never uses as much as you currently see in Prime95, which tends to use more power than just about anything else, especially with AVX/AVX2 enabled.

Maybe try a power limit of 130w, with PBO left enabled? Since Cinebench was using upto 120w under load. Basically, what Ross said.

Last edited:
Soldato
Run it through clock tuner and set a hard overclock undervolt on it if your worries. My 5800x went from 80s at stock to high 60s at 4.65ghz at 1.35v

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, so I never really messed around with any of the bios settings for my 3600x, i just stuck DOCP on and done. Looking at my last pic the one with PBO enabled (not just auto)
cIqOOsj.jpg

I noticed that the max was:
PPT = 120W
TDC = 79.7A
EDC = 134A

Are these values anything to worry about, do they need to be limited or are they ok as long as my temps stay reasonable? With the TDP of the chip being 65W, do they relate in any way?

I'm not trying to OC the CPU per say, I just want to get the most out of it and let the BIOS make the correct call on the safety side of it (set it and forget it kind of thing)

Sorry if these are sort of noob questions.

Soldato
As far as I know, the TDP generally refers to the amount of power draw with a CPU at base clock (no boosting).

See if you can find a setting to limit the PPT.

Associate
As far as I know, the TDP generally refers to the amount of power draw with a CPU at base clock (no boosting).

That's how intel measure it and why a 125w chip pulls 240w

AMD measure at boost ie 105w but its just the power the cores are using the ppt is cores + soc +(some other things) and is 142w

Caporegime
That's how intel measure it and why a 125w chip pulls 240w

AMD measure at boost ie 105w but its just the power the cores are using the ppt is cores + soc +(some other things) and is 142w

Yup, the 142 watts is actually the socket power limit.

TDP is the measure for minimum cooler requirements and its supposed to be based on the vendors honest testing, what it is not is a measure of power consumption, in that AMD are providing you with accurate information, the hottest part of the CPU is the CCD, its 105 watts maximum + 15 watts for the IO die, in AMD's testing a 105 watt cooler is adequate, they provide AMD branded coolers up to 105 watt designed around that.

Intel are trying to pull the wool over people eyes because their power consumption is very high and they would rather you didn't see it like that, so they have this weird measure where "its 125 watts at 3.6Ghz" and so that's what they put on the box, because if you put a 125 watt cooler on it it will only run at 3.6Ghz and with that you can throw every review chart on the internet out of the window because none of them use 125 watt coolers.

Associate
OP
Yup, the 142 watts is actually the socket power limit.
So does that mean its a hard limit of the socket? i.e the 120W my PPT is pulling is well within the range for the socket?

I read this bit but the "at Least" confused me a little as that implies its a minimum usage

Default for Socket AM4 is at least 142W on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.

Back
Top Bottom