• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6950XT Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
See other thread for more than just control and cp2077 point, in fact those 2 games aren't even the hardest RT games to run anymore. RT is RT, the effects in those games aren't nvidia only, I can't recall, think it might have been @Wrinkly who had a link/source for cdpr saying that the reason for RT being available to amd later on was amds choice/issue, not theirs nor nvidias.

From memory it was an WCCF article which had a quote from Jenson stating that CP2077 didn't use proprietary RT effects, that it was all DXR and so there was no reason for AMD not to support at launch. I drew the conclusion that AMD wouldn't support due to CP2077 being one of the largest PC launches ever, launch timing being just before RDNA2, RDNA2's lack of a DLSS alternative and RDNA2's very poor RT performance, which all combined would obviously negatively effect sales of RDNA2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@LtMatt A good example of AMD's issue, or optimisation depending on where you stand, within BMI -
Precisely.

If it weren't an issue and was only down to the compression/recording, you would also be seeing it on the nvidia footage as well. Compression does not remove detail to that extent.... Plus you also had a few commenting on bang4bucks videos stating they noticed the same thing and listed titles like watch dogs legion as well.

Will be good to see if it is present in amds sponsored rt titles though.

I think we can add Dying Light 2 and Chernoblylite to that list.

Oh and forgot Minecraft RT.
Exactly.

Not to mention for "true" ray tracing ones, you also have mario, quake, serious sam, doom and probably more classics to come but personally I don't care for them, however, it is cool seeing the difference RT makes to them

Soldato
In the grand scale of things you are hardly looking in a car window reflection when you are blowing someone's head off and thinking that reflection is missing detail.
Same when you drive down the street knocking pedestrians left right and centre you dont think "nice reflections of the sky in that puddle".
:D

Associate
In the grand scale of things you are hardly looking in a car window reflection when you are blowing someone's head off and thinking that reflection is missing detail.
Same when you drive down the street knocking pedestrians left right and centre you dont think "nice reflections of the sky in that puddle".

I'm focused on how it changes the scene, not petty reflection. Real lighting physics will make any texture look real.

Permabanned

You don't? Good games rely on immersion. If you blow someones head off and the the responce was a beep and that someone simply disappeared you would be complaining how bad that game was. Equally true if you drive down the street knocking pedestrians left right and centre and your only feedback was beep while the pedestrians simply disappeared on contact.

Realtime raytracing adds immersion just as physics does by providing feedback within the scene. Indeed if we could break free of legacy, which includes static pre-baked raytraced shadow and lighting, then you could destroy the table holding the bowl of fruit with the proper feedback AKA immersion, games would be far more dynamic in nature.

Caporegime
Would be good for some comparisons in likes of chernobylite, cp 2077, control, metro ee to see if there are issues with RT lighting, shadows, AO etc. too tbf as can't say I've looked into it past the obvious issues with RT reflections.

Associate
If you blow someones head off and the the responce was a beep and that someone simply disappeared you would be complaining how bad that game was.
Doom Eternal?

Equally true if you drive down the street knocking pedestrians left right and centre and your only feedback was beep while the pedestrians simply disappeared on contact.
This one has to be cyberpunk

Permabanned
Doom Eternal?

This one has to be cyberpunk

It's not a view based on any specific titles, but an example of ignorance of the subject. Realtime raytracing can and does add immersion which is what we have all enjoyed an increase of with every other advancement in graphical fidelity.

Here's how 3D games looked when I was a kid -

Last edited:
Associate
Would be good for some comparisons in likes of chernobylite, cp 2077, control, metro ee to see if there are issues with RT lighting, shadows, AO etc. too tbf as can't say I've looked into it past the obvious issues with RT reflections.

It seem's a stretch to keep RT in the discussion when there consensus is so clear, you don't buy AMD cards to experience raytracing.. maybe next gen.

Soldato
Realtime raytracing adds immersion

I think we will just have to agree to disagree as at the moment Ray Tracing on doesnt for me. Thats just my opinion.

It's not a view based on any specific titles, but an example of ignorance of the subject. Realtime raytracing can and does add immersion which is what we have all enjoyed an increase of with every other advancement in graphical fidelity.

Here's how 3D games looked when I was a kid -

That game cost £9.99 in Boots and I could never afford it. £9.99 back then to a kid was like £100 is now.

Permabanned
That game cost £9.99 in Boots and I could never afford it. £9.99 back then to a kid was like £100 is now.

Boots, that's where my grandfather purchased my 1K ZX81 Christmas presant. A year later I added the 16K wobbly RAM pack. A rubber keyboard overlay came next along with some green film and black spray paint for the black and white portable TV. I think another year passed before I got the thermal printer just before winning a 16K Spectrum from WH Smith. The printer soon killed the Spectrum, which they replaced with the 48K version.

I didn't buy many games as I think pocket money capped out at 50p a week, mostly spent on Airfix, but we did 'share' a lot. Fun times.

Caporegime
Do you not have any of the other titles in bang4bucks video matt? i.e. the ones where this issue shows up in Bright memory infinite, cp 2077 etc.?

Btw, I just read that fc 6 reddit thread, I thought it was just in reference to FC 6 using lesser RT compared to nvidia RT games, didn't realise it was actually a problem with RT rendering in that too, low res. textures, must need more vram @TNA :cry:

IKnZBJR.jpg

uGSaZ5P.jpg

Read through the rest of the reddit post, fair few people posting about it, 3090 vs 6900xt (bang4bucks footage)

oh-my-george-takei.gif

Maybe a system/local issue?

Time to go back into the 10gb thread or the fc 6 one? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom