• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D now or wait?

Man of Honour
Why is 6400mhz better rated RAM for AM5, is that the suggested or your personal preference?

Personal preference really but memory speed compatibility is getting faster all the time and as this platform is going to be around for a good couple of years it could be that the next couple of generations of cpu's can manage 7000 or even 8000mhz memory so rather than buying twice I would buy fast now even if it has to be underclocked which is also why I have an eye on a 32Gb 7200mhz C32 kit. I heard that ram speed doesn't matter much with the 3d cpu's but the next cpu may be a standard cpu which is why I would never go with slow memory like 5600mhz. With a platform that has a positive lean towards future upgradeability you have to keep that in mind so that you don't get left behind or have to buy twice because you didn't buy correctly in the first place. I got caught out like that years ago and I promised myself that it will never happen again. The 6400mhz C34 is actually a Expo kit so it should be plug and play.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Personal preference really but memory speed compatibility is getting faster all the time and as this platform is going to be around for a good couple of years it could be that the next couple of generations of cpu's can manage 7000 or even 8000mhz memory so rather than buying twice I would buy fast now even if it has to be underclocked which is also why I have an eye on a 32Gb 7200mhz C32 kit. I heard that ram speed doesn't matter much with the 3d cpu's but the next cpu may be a standard cpu which is why I would never go with slow memory like 5600mhz. With a platform that has a positive lean towards future upgradeability you have to keep that in mind so that you don't get left behind or have to buy twice because you didn't buy correctly in the first place. I got caught out like that years ago and I promised myself that it will never happen again. The 6400mhz C34 is actually a Expo kit so it should be plug and play.
I'm just researching and getting closer to a purchase. What I'm picking up is that the 7200MHz kit below could be run at the speed and timings of the 6400MHz kit but would have the option to run at the "native" speed in future? Or, would I have to tweak the timings on the 7200MHz kit to make it run at 6400?

I've managed to pick up a 7800X3D in the MM for £285 so definitely doing the upgrade now, and I've also picked up a B650 GAMING X AX for £90 so I'll do a MoBo upgrade when I'm upgrading the CPU in future as the PCIe5 isn't a big deal for me at the moment - I've saved a few £££s going second hand so it justifies the newer kit later down the line, and for all we know there could be a hardware advantage in the later generations.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £293.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been following this thread and am going to upgrade from AM4 finally. I've 2 systems running 5600X/B450 and 5800X3D/X570 so I'll be going to 7800X3D/ Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard and as yet undecided on ram just know it'll be 32gig. Looking forward to it. Is there anything in the horizon I should be awkward of though?

Another reason for upgrade is I'm gaming at 4K 120Hz and don't think I'm using the full potential of my 4090FE and doing this will give me a good platform to last a good few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is the memory I ended up going for after doing a bit more digging. I think the only real change on the horizon is the release of the 8000 series X3D chips, expected around April - June. I have picked up the second hand motherboard in the knowledge that it won't be able to support 8000 series chips but I don't intend to buy one anyway as I'd skip at least one iteration. Your board does support 8000 series so the option is always there for you.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £132.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Soldato
OP
7800X3D now installed - and benchmark scores have lowered with the GPU not hitting 100% utilisation on Firestrike Ultra, which is 4k. :confused:

All I have enabled at this point is the EXPO profile on the RAM, so not sure if I'm missing something obvious...

Soldato
7800X3D now installed - and benchmark scores have lowered with the GPU not hitting 100% utilisation on Firestrike Ultra, which is 4k. :confused:

All I have enabled at this point is the EXPO profile on the RAM, so not sure if I'm missing something obvious...

what did you upgrade from, and did you reset bios.

remember X3D chips cant be overclock and setting PBO will lock them as base clock and not let them boost in any way

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
what did you upgrade from, and did you reset bios.

remember X3D chips cant be overclock and setting PBO will lock them as base clock and not let them boost in any way
I upgraded from 5900x.

It's a new motherboard and I've installed the latest BIOS, so the only thing I changed from default was the RAM EXPO profile enabled. I've used the same operating system that I used for the 5900x system so I think I'll need to reinstall Windows to rule that out.

I've also noticed an iGPU - I wasn't expecting that?

oAZUn53.png

Soldato
do in bios disable the iGPU just to be safe..

install the x3d drivers again just to be safe

there is no way you need a windows reinstall

in bios just to be 100% go to the AMD overclocking setting and set it to advanced, and change all settings are at auto.
and as your there set an offset at -15...(just incase its a temp thing)

you could always default bios and test, then enable EXPO and retest

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks.

BIOS defaults have solved the utilisation issue, so looks like I'll need to set the RAM manually as the EXPO profile is causing issues.
Did you test with default setting then setting expo.

when changing a cpu your system can get weird if you don’t default setting at the get go. If could just be something simple that carried over from the last cpu

Soldato
OP
Did you test with default setting then setting expo.

when changing a cpu your system can get weird if you don’t default setting at the get go. If could just be something simple that carried over from the last cpu
Yes, I had updated the BIOS so it had set default during the process. I grabbed some benchmarks that I'll post later, but I'm off to work for a few weeks so the tweaking will have to wait. :)

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've managed to nab a 7800X3D for £320 from the place that rhymes with sex lol. I'll be pairing it with Asus B650E-E and Gskill 6000mhz. Got a holiday coming up looking forward to building it. I know the gains are minimal over my current 5800X3D but that's fine as that gets to be my system number 2 now powering a Samsung G9 so happy days.

Soldato
OP
I have enabled EXPO on the Gskill set after loading defaults in BIOS as suggested by @Wing-Man and now the GPU utilisation is as it should be.

Here's some comparisons...

e6RejSd.png

2rGvIvS.png

MIJpWW9.png

iFcszBf.png

2G8p2Tt.png

RzozzRH.png

4k - slight loss in performance, no doubt due to the multi threaded aspect.

1440 - 2% increase

1080 - 10% increase

Last edited:
Soldato
I have enabled EXPO on the Gskill set after loading defaults in BIOS as suggested by @Wing-Man and now the GPU utilisation is as it should be.

Here's some comparisons...

4k - slight loss in performance, no doubt due to the multi threaded aspect.

1440 - 2% increase

1080 - 10% increase

i dont think that benchmarks show the full story when it comes to the X3d chips, as that tend to bench of raw performance, number of threads and core speed
i did tests going from a 3600 to a 5700x3d and there was only a little bump in performance in bench marks. but obviously in the real world it was massive

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont think that benchmarks show the full story when it comes to the X3d chips, as that tend to bench of raw performance, number of threads and core speed
i did tests going from a 3600 to a 5700x3d and there was only a little bump in performance in bench marks. but obviously in the real world it was massive
I'd describe it as smooth and snappy. Hard to quantify, I presume it's the cache doing its thing.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely agree with that. Even taking into account that I game at 4k, it's not really 4k when FSR etc gets utilised, plus for first person I game on 3440*1440.

The benchmarks are just a quick indicator, and it's a pity I've had to head off without actually getting a chance to game on the system. I think there's also maybe a wee bit of BIOS tweaking to be done yet, or is the EXPO profile the only real requirement for these chips - did you say PBO and the like is pointless?

Back
Top Bottom