• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900x vs 2950x

Associate
it is an i do game at 1440p 144hz Possibly 4K (have a 4K gsync too, but barely used)

just dont want to go down in performance from 1800x in any workload

Well if you game at 4k it will tax the gpu more than the cpu you see, there is hardly a difference in fps regarding the cpus for example 2700x vs 8700k will get roughly the same fps because it is taxing the gpu way more then the cpus.

Anyways for me i am happy with the 2700x i bought scoreing like 1759 at stock clocks in r15 cinebenchmark and you need a 8700k at over 5ghz to achieve the same result.

Associate
what software workloads to be precise? If mainly adobe + gaming then the choice seems obvious.
And about "stuff in the background", think about it this way, I have 8086K rig, normal I work with Matlab + dynare, 15-20 tabs of chrome including twitch stream or youtube, Textmaker + Latex, notepad++, microsoft word, 10 pdf files, spotify, 2 windows of paint3D, and a bunch of background apps like Asus Aura, etc. One may consider it "stuff run in the background", would I see an improved gaming experience switching to 2950X? I doubt it.
I think the merit of having HCC cpus like 1950X/2950X and above is when you can utilise it properly, tasks like rendering and folding would be great on those CPUs since they are predetermined to run in a certain framework, tasks like gaming, photoshop, lightroom, adjusting-on-the-flight-tasks mainly favours raw clock speed and IPC given a decent enough number of cores.
The upcoming 9900K is promising, granted 2 cores less than 7900X but the raw clock speed would compensate it pretty easily. Of course, wait for reviews and official price would always be my advice.

Soldato
So currently i already have 1800X. (8 cores/16T) its just not enough perf in Software workloads. so thinking 10 cores+ is best for me. But my software also loves clock speed too. sdo its finding that mix of COre/Clock

9900K is a nice idea but i would need at-least the 9950X (whatever it would be called)

So basically i need cores + at 3.6+ 99% of the time. again only think putting me off the 2950X is gaming.

My Workload is 60% Gaming 40% work, but when i game i do also set stuff to run in the background also. Currently
when doing so my 1800X is hitting good 80-95% & 12-14GB RAM used.

visual studio for me uses 4.5GB-6GB on its own on its own

Typical day Multitasking Workload At the same time:
Gaming - Visual Studio Compile - Chrome/Youtube/Spotify - Discord - Msi Afterburner - Visual code

think of it as Gaming/streaming workloads but with much higher memory usage.

usage + % percentage of time open
Gaming 60%
VS code 40%
VS Studio 40%
Chrome 100%
Discord/MSi Afterburner 60%

An overclocked 2950X with decent memory and cooling maybe? Pricey, but it will offer what you're looking for. The other option (I use) is two machines.

Soldato
I'd go with the TR's. I mean look at how small and girly those Intel Sky-X CPU's look in one of the video's above. Those arent masculine CPU's. :p

Serious hat back on, I suppose not an easy choice. I think a few options will be very good choices, there is no wrong option IMo, just that they may be better some areas than others. OP probably needs to decide what's optimal for them. If the dev work requires VM's then 16 core may make more sense. 8 Cores for host, 4+4 allowing the running of two VM's if needed.
The new Intel 8 core mainstream may be worth looking at too if 8 might be enough, as mention above. There's also talk of AMD having something else ready to better it too (2800X?) so would have to also look at that.

It's worth noting in another thread OP mentioned not overclocking either which edges me towards the 2950X option for them out of the two options. The boost would only be 100mhz lower than the 7900X -stock to stock, although I'm not sure for how many cores that's for on either. Having 6 more cores in reserve could be useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think in some games you will take a hit in performance on the 2950X because of the nature of its design vs the single die 1800X.

I think you can count the 2950X out, its just 7900X or 9900K....

9900K :)
I'd go with the TR's. I mean look at how small and girly those Intel Sky-X CPU's look in one of the video's above. Those arent masculine CPU's. :p

Serious hat back on, I suppose not an easy choice. I think a few options will be very good choices, there is no wrong option IMo, just that they may be better some areas than others. OP probably needs to decide what's optimal for them. If the dev work requires VM's then 16 core may make more sense. 8 Cores for host, 4+4 allowing the running of two VM's if needed.
The new Intel 8 core mainstream may be worth looking at too if 8 might be enough, as mention above. There's also talk of AMD having something else ready to better it too (2800X?) so would have to also look at that.

It's worth noting in another thread OP mentioned not overclocking either which edges me towards the 2950X option for them out of the two options. The boost would only be 100mhz lower than the 7900X -stock to stock, although I'm not sure for how many cores that's for on either. Having 6 more cores in reserve could be useful.
144hz + your software likes clockspeed.
I'd be looking at 9900K but as you have said your 1800x gets 80-95% utilised.
7900K would be my choice here.

Well if you game at 4k it will tax the gpu more than the cpu you see, there is hardly a difference in fps regarding the cpus for example 2700x vs 8700k will get roughly the same fps because it is taxing the gpu way more then the cpus.

Anyways for me i am happy with the 2700x i bought scoreing like 1759 at stock clocks in r15 cinebenchmark and you need a 8700k at over 5ghz to achieve the same result.

what software workloads to be precise? If mainly adobe + gaming then the choice seems obvious.
And about "stuff in the background", think about it this way, I have 8086K rig, normal I work with Matlab + dynare, 15-20 tabs of chrome including twitch stream or youtube, Textmaker + Latex, notepad++, microsoft word, 10 pdf files, spotify, 2 windows of paint3D, and a bunch of background apps like Asus Aura, etc. One may consider it "stuff run in the background", would I see an improved gaming experience switching to 2950X? I doubt it.
I think the merit of having HCC cpus like 1950X/2950X and above is when you can utilise it properly, tasks like rendering and folding would be great on those CPUs since they are predetermined to run in a certain framework, tasks like gaming, photoshop, lightroom, adjusting-on-the-flight-tasks mainly favours raw clock speed and IPC given a decent enough number of cores.
The upcoming 9900K is promising, granted 2 cores less than 7900X but the raw clock speed would compensate it pretty easily. Of course, wait for reviews and official price would always be my advice.

An overclocked 2950X with decent memory and cooling maybe? Pricey, but it will offer what you're looking for. The other option (I use) is two machines.

So Currently the project i'm looking into is Image/Video recognition. currently runs on the CPU could use CUDA but don't want to locked down to Nvidia.

1) i created some software that basically takes a image every x seconds from a surveillance screen (with only 0.01% cpu usage & runs on 10mb of ram)
2) then Encodes these 36000 screenshots into a video using as many cores as you have in the system.
3) then plan is Either
3a) to go through these 36000 images spilt these into Screenshot per camera (36000x32) then compare them against a ref images (possibly 1000+)
3b) or go through the video Comparing against ref images. & report where comparisons match.

so idea is i can set that running a test run (debug run) in the background whilst i game.

Soldato
So Currently the project i'm looking into is Image/Video recognition. currently runs on the CPU could use CUDA but don't want to locked down to Nvidia.

1) i created some software that basically takes a image every x seconds from a surveillance screen (with only 0.01% cpu usage & runs on 10mb of ram)
2) then Encodes these 36000 screenshots into a video using as many cores as you have in the system.
3) then plan is Either
3a) to go through these 36000 images spilt these into Screenshot per camera (36000x32) then compare them against a ref images (possibly 1000+)
3b) or go through the video Comparing against ref images. & report where comparisons match.

so idea is i can set that running a test run (debug run) in the background whilst i game.

What is the possibility of having x2 systems?
Keep your 1800x doing its thing, plus getting another system ie 8700k for your gaming.

Soldato
OP
What is the possibility of having x2 systems?
Keep your 1800x doing its thing, plus getting another system ie 8700k for your gaming.
the plan was to give the 1800x to my GF as she has no pc. & get something that can do both.

I think ideally maybe a 9920X if they come out would be ideal but when? anyone guess... dont fancy waiting til 2019...

Soldato
the plan was to give the 1800x to my GF as she has no pc. & get something that can do both.

I think ideally maybe a 9920X if they come out would be ideal but when? anyone guess... dont fancy waiting til 2019...

You kind of already have the answer then.

Caporegime
Interesting thread, and hopefully, sooner than later I'll be getting a new CPU (most likely AMD). The question that keeps arising in my mind is that aside from the odd situation, if that, would you even notice the difference if doing some gaming/video editing/Adobe work/programming at 1440p+? After all, it's a few percent here or there... :)

Soldato
OP
Interesting thread, and hopefully, sooner than later I'll be getting a new CPU (most likely AMD). The question that keeps arising in my mind is that aside from the odd situation, if that, would you even notice the difference if doing some gaming/video editing/Adobe work/programming at 1440p+? After all, it's a few percent here or there... :)
its just the 0.1% lows thats bothering me thats 50fps drop in situtations thats a lot!

Caporegime
its just the 0.1% lows thats bothering me thats 50fps drop in situtations thats a lot!

Hmmm.....I'll have to take a look at that. Fifty fps, as you say, is more than a 'bit'. :D

I'm hoping the 2920X will be at a tempting price, if not, then maybe the 1920 - 1950X's.

Is there any reason to get the 2700X over the 1900X? Apart from the cache and clock speeds, is there any real world difference? Quite a difference in price at the mo.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm.....I'll have to take a look at that. Fifty fps, as you say, is more than a 'bit'. :D

I'm hoping the 2920X will be at a tempting price, if not, then maybe the 1920 - 1950X's.

Is there any reason to get the 2700X over the 1900X? Apart from the cache and clock speeds, is there any real world difference? Quite a difference in price at the mo.
Metro last light at 1440p - 8:10 i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02-DlKaIIU
2700x has better boost intervals so around 5% better in games generally over the 1800x

Soldato

2700x has cheaper motherboards and doesn't require quad channel RAM to get the most from it.

Back
Top Bottom