• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900x vs 2950x

Soldato
Gaming at 1080p, I'd be going for an Intel CPU. If the other system was a work/productivity one then most likely an AMD CPU.

This, if it's pure gaming get the Intel 6 core non hyperthread CPU, or wait out the new 8 core one, lob on a 1080ti and it's job done

For the productivity TR rig just slap in the cheapest GPU you can as your not going to game on it.

Soldato
This, if it's pure gaming get the Intel 6 core non hyperthread CPU, or wait out the new 8 core one, lob on a 1080ti and it's job done

For the productivity TR rig just slap in the cheapest GPU you can as your not going to game on it.

Of buy a TR CPU, put a Vega 64 Red Devil on it and use Project Lasso to create profiles on games to force them on the first CPU chiplet, while you rendering on the other CPU chiplet.... :D

Soldato
OP
so im sticking with 1440/144hz
1 PC

So got decide my platform. need 8cores or more

one thing that pushing me towards intel at this point is it would be nice to get into MATX form factor

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
OP
AsRock do do a m-ATX X399 board https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...tr4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-165-ak.html the reviews else seem to suggest its fairly good (albeit there are only 4 memory slots and fewer expansions ports than the ATX versions).
yeh not a fan of Asrock BIOS/Qaulity

This is what i got i know, its not MATX but its hard on both platforms
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,344.48 (includes shipping: £14.70)

any advice or thoughts welcome

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,304.44 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
So currently i already have 1800X. (8 cores/16T) its just not enough perf in Software workloads. so thinking 10 cores+ is best for me. But my software also loves clock speed too. sdo its finding that mix of COre/Clock

9900K is a nice idea but i would need at-least the 9950X (whatever it would be called)

So basically i need cores + at 3.6+ 99% of the time. again only think putting me off the 2950X is gaming.

My Workload is 60% Gaming 40% work, but when i game i do also set stuff to run in the background also. Currently
when doing so my 1800X is hitting good 80-95% & 12-14GB RAM used.

visual studio for me uses 4.5GB-6GB on its own on its own

Typical day Multitasking Workload At the same time:
Gaming - Visual Studio Compile - Chrome/Youtube/Spotify - Discord - Msi Afterburner - Visual code

think of it as Gaming/streaming workloads but with much higher memory usage.

usage + % percentage of time open
Gaming 60%
VS code 40%
VS Studio 40%
Chrome 100%
Discord/MSi Afterburner 60%

I built a TR monster for a mate who has a very similar workload.

Does a lot of heavy photo and video workloads, and oftens has a game running at the same time.

So the setup was 1GB NVMe Raid for scratch drive, 10TB RAID6 array for fast mass storage, lots of ram, 1080ti. Used a Gigabyte Aorus MB, but wouldn't recommend where the he BIOS is a bit ****.

What is amazing is the ability to perform 2 to 3 intensive workloads and maintain smooth operation. An example is an export from Lightroom, processing in Davinci Resolve and then playing either Eve or PUBG completely smooth. Incredible!

Chose TR over X299 due to the platform being superior in every way, where longevity was also a big factor. Stand by this decision and it looks like 7nm TR will be an absolute monster.

If you constrain processes to sprcific processors and memory pools, you can really get great performance while multi-tasking. Also Ryzen master is pretty great once you know what workloads benefit from NUMA or UMA.

Would not hesitate to recommend TR for your use case.

Soldato
If you are using an AIO you might want to look at the Enermax ELC-LTTR360-TBP which is a 360mm unit that has a water block with full coverage for the TR4 heat spreader.

I'd also move the 250GB 970 Evo up to 500GB, or just dump the SATA drive and get a 1TB 970 EVO as they are only £285 from most places.

Soldato
OP
If you are using an AIO you might want to look at the Enermax ELC-LTTR360-TBP which is a 360mm unit that has a water block with full coverage for the TR4 heat spreader.

I'd also move the 250GB 970 Evo up to 500GB, or just dump the SATA drive and get a 1TB 970 EVO as they are only £285 from most places.

Ive been told that this Bequiet is better for temps than the enermax due to flow rate. not an AIO buff though.

THe 970 is just for the OS/Progs. but not bad idea. however i need to get everything from OCUK as getting them to build it. (970 1TB is £319!)

Soldato

Don't those have corrosion issues or have they fixed it? Hopefully I'm getting my wires crossed as I'm tempted by that cooler!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
so things have changed for me a little, im moved from
my main monitor being a 1440p gsync to 1080p gsync 240hz.
with 1440p gsync as my secondary and 4K gsync as my third.

Due to this my 1800X is 95% cpu usage in games too now. I think i might need to go Intel for 1080p high hz...

not to sure on 7000 or 9000 series now...

but 8700 seem lot less future proof & sidestep/back step

and if i get a different build for the GF i casn use the 1800X for Development

Soldato
so things have changed for me a little, im moved from
my main monitor being a 1440p gsync to 1080p gsync 240hz.
with 1440p gsync as my secondary and 4K gsync as my third.

Due to this my 1800X is 95% cpu usage in games too now. I think i might need to go Intel for 1080p high hz...

not to sure on 7000 or 9000 series now...

but 8700 seem lot less future proof & sidestep/back step

and if i get a different build for the GF i casn use the 1800X for Development

Wait out the 9900k first before buying anything else Intel, to see how it stacks up.

Soldato
ocuk dont stock many x399 anymore but swapped it for a rog zenith for the 2x 8 pin (maybe some ocing )

Yes I think there will be more refreshed boards incoming soon, most places are oos or list boards as eol. Can't go wrong with the Zenith. Should be good for any future 7nm upgrades too.

Soldato
That be quiet aio does not support the TR4 socket out the box. Need an adaptor in the form of bequiets bz007 adaptor as per their site.

I would as others suggested take a look at AIOs that have a larger cold plate and tailored for TR4 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom