• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900x vs 2950x

Soldato
Hi all,

I need some help discussing Which Chip to go for my new build after researching The 7900X is looking better in many use cases. Gaming/Visual Studio Work better with Clock/Core count of the 7900x

Current build is 1800x 16GB RAM

Use Cases: Gaming,Programming,Multitasking,Light room,Heavy Browsing usage

7900X
Pros

Better 0.1 lows in Games
Better In games Generally.
Consistent performance in any use (no switching between NUMA/UMA and such)
Better Memory Support (Generally)

Cons
6 cores less 12 threads less
Less PCI-E

Notes:
Not much difference in cost

2950X
Pro

More cores more/Threads
More PCI-E Lanes if needed
Better in multitasking

Cons
Not as good at memory support (higher clock)
Compiling Not as fine tuned as compared to Intel,
Compling not making use of the 6 extra cores.

anything you think you can add?

Caporegime
I just though of something, if you're considering the 7900X then the extra 6 cores on the 2950X are not important enough for you, why don't you go for the 8 core 9900K? its going to be about £300 cheaper and have better performance in low threaded workloads and gaming while being just as fast in high threaded workloads.

Caporegime
gaming wise any modern intel chip is better than a ryzen.so gaming side intel is better. if its for work look into what you need from both chips.i personally dont see any point in having a ryzen chip fullstop unless you get them cheap somehow or on somekinda of budget for multithreaded aps. if you got the money then intel have a faster option in literally everyway.

i will tell you 7900x runs hot with oc. so make sure you get good cooling.the other option is wait till october/christmas time for the new range of chips.which will be even better.

Soldato
gaming wise any modern intel chip is better than a ryzen.so gaming side intel is better. if its for work look into what you need from both chips.i personally dont see any point in having a ryzen chip fullstop unless you get them cheap somehow or on somekinda of budget for multithreaded aps. if you got the money then intel have a faster option in literally everyway.

i will tell you 7900x runs hot with oc. so make sure you get good cooling.the other option is wait till october/christmas time for the new range of chips.which will be even better.

Hahahhaha

OP get the 2950X if you can stomach the price.

Caporegime
i personally dont see any point in having a ryzen chip fullstop unless you get them cheap somehow or on somekinda of budget for multithreaded aps

Is that a joke? :D Ryzen isn't even the question. he's asking about Threadripper.

On a lot of levels Ryzen has far higher performance per cost, for example even my old out of production 1600 is faster than the current 5Ghz 8600K and yet cost £70 less so to take your proclamation i would only buy the 8600K is it was about £100, it never will be, its £220.

Its replacements (2600) sales reflect how much performance you are getting per cost vs Intel, the 2600 is #1, the 8600K is #4

In this case Smogsy should get the 9900K over "Threadripper" 2950X because it doesn't look like he needs the cores or the features of the 2950X.

iIeWuQo.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that a joke? :D Ryzen isn't even the question. he's asking about Threadripper.

On a lot of levels Ryzen has far higher performance per cost, for example even my old 1600 is faster than a 5Ghz 8600K and yet cost £70 less so to take your proclamation i would only buy the 8600K is it was about £100, it never will be, its £220.

Its replacements (2600) sales reflect how much performance you are getting per cost vs Intel, the 2600 is #1, the 8600K is #4

In this case Smogsy should get the 9900K over "Threadripper" 2950X.

iIeWuQo.png

Has to be a joke or the view of someone with an interest in Intel. It's completely backwards thinking of the most special kind.

Intel maybe make sense if the price is right....

Last edited:
Associate
You are correct in your analysis that the 7900X is faster for gaming at 1080p, although it’s just 5% on average at 1440p.
Looking at the price tag between the two, it’s hard for me to justify the high price of the 7900X vs 2950x so that alone would lean me towards the 2950x.

It’s also worth noting the security issues like Spectra/Foreshadow that is plaguing intel CPUs.
I know most gamers do not consider this an issue but Intel has not just lost performance in specific workloads but also in gaming. I believe it’s only 1-2% on average but what happens in the future… that’s the issue!

Soldato
You are correct in your analysis that the 7900X is faster for gaming at 1080p, although it’s just 5% on average at 1440p.
Looking at the price tag between the two, it’s hard for me to justify the high price of the 7900X vs 2950x so that alone would lean me towards the 2950x.

It’s also worth noting the security issues like Spectra/Foreshadow that is plaguing intel CPUs.
I know most gamers do not consider this an issue but Intel has not just lost performance in specific workloads but also in gaming. I believe it’s only 1-2% on average but what happens in the future… that’s the issue!

That's the average FPS, if you look closer you'll see the minimums are considerably lower and that can be quite jarring.
It depends how much time smogsy spends gaming and if his software runs better on TR or intel.
I would make a list of priorities and from there look at benchmarks of which runs it faster. Pick the overall winner.

Caporegime
He's right ^^^ its not true for all game, i think BitWit deliberately chose games where he could make this point to help get him clicks, other reviews don't show what he does, but the 0.1% lows in some games are significantly lower on Threadripper than the 7900X, it will be those few games that don't respond well to the high latency between the separate CPU dies Threadripper has.

I still think the 9900K is the best option.

Associate
That's the average FPS, if you look closer you'll see the minimums are considerably lower and that can be quite jarring.
It depends how much time smogsy spends gaming and if his software runs better on TR or intel.
I would make a list of priorities and from there look at benchmarks of which runs it faster. Pick the overall winner.
Well yes it would be easier for us to help Smogsy if he gave us more details about what programs he runs.
An 8 core CPU might also be completely fine for Smogsy since 8 cores is at least more then enough for gaming.

Caporegime
@NinjaCool

This is the Video which has him worried, he only tested 3 games and one of those was Ashes Of The Benchmark, the other GTA-V where Threadripper does quite well and Metro Last light where the 0.1% lows are significantly lower on Threadripper.

Usually i'm pretty suspicious of reviewers who only select 3 games to benchmark but i think in this case its pure laziness.

I have Metro Last light, the Frame Rates, including the 0.1% low's as near as make no difference doubled in places on my 3.9Ghz 1600 vs the 4.5Ghz 4690K it replaced, but i can see how it can be one of those things where the CPU's compute threads being spread across multiple dies can have a negative effect.

In fact..... from another review.

dVhMuEw.png

Soldato
OP
I just though of something, if you're considering the 7900X then the extra 6 cores on the 2950X are not important enough for you, why don't you go for the 8 core 9900K? its going to be about £300 cheaper and have better performance in low threaded workloads and gaming while being just as fast in high threaded workloads.

Hahahhaha

OP get the 2950X if you can stomach the price.

On a lot of levels Ryzen has far higher performance per cost, for example even my old out of production 1600 is faster than the current 5Ghz 8600K and yet cost £70 less so to take your proclamation i would only buy the 8600K is it was about £100, it never will be, its £220.

In this case Smogsy should get the 9900K over "Threadripper" 2950X because it doesn't look like he needs the cores or the features of the 2950X.

iIeWuQo.png

Has to be a joke or the view of someone with an interest in Intel. It's completely backwards thinking of the most special kind.

Intel maybe make sense if the price is right....

I also think the 9900K would be the better option.
Will be a decent upgrade from the 1800x in my opinion.

Well yes it would be easier for us to help Smogsy if he gave us more details about what programs he runs.
An 8 core CPU might also be completely fine for Smogsy since 8 cores is at least more then enough for gaming.

So currently i already have 1800X. (8 cores/16T) its just not enough perf in Software workloads. so thinking 10 cores+ is best for me. But my software also loves clock speed too. sdo its finding that mix of COre/Clock

9900K is a nice idea but i would need at-least the 9950X (whatever it would be called)

So basically i need cores + at 3.6+ 99% of the time. again only think putting me off the 2950X is gaming.

My Workload is 60% Gaming 40% work, but when i game i do also set stuff to run in the background also. Currently
when doing so my 1800X is hitting good 80-95% & 12-14GB RAM used.

visual studio for me uses 4.5GB-6GB on its own on its own

Typical day Multitasking Workload At the same time:
Gaming - Visual Studio Compile - Chrome/Youtube/Spotify - Discord - Msi Afterburner - Visual code

think of it as Gaming/streaming workloads but with much higher memory usage.

usage + % percentage of time open
Gaming 60%
VS code 40%
VS Studio 40%
Chrome 100%
Discord/MSi Afterburner 60%

Last edited:
Associate
@NinjaCool

This is the Video which has him worried, he only tested 3 games and one of those was Ashes Of The Benchmark, the other GTA-V where Threadripper does quite well and Metro Last light where the 0.1% lows are significantly lower on Threadripper.

Usually i'm pretty suspicious of reviewers who only select 3 games to benchmark but i think in this case its pure laziness.

I have Metro Last light, the Frame Rates, including the 0.1% low's as near as make no difference doubled in places on my 3.9Ghz 1600 vs the 4.5Ghz 4690K it replaced, but i can see how it can be one of those things where the CPU's compute threads being spread across multiple dies can have a negative effect.

In fact..... from another review.

dVhMuEw.png

Yeah i agree with your statements as have said amd is the king of bang for buck and intel is the performance king.

26220105_10156060460057375_3986139665378361776_n.jpg

Caporegime
It depends ^^^^^ red there is Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8Ghz, Blue 7600K @ 4.8Ghz, the 1600 in that is a lot faster ^^^^
The 8700K is the gaming King, no argument, it is.
---------------------------
@smogsy

The thing is the 9900K having 16 much higher clocked threads will be significantly faster than the 1800X, in high threaded workloads it will be just as fast as the 7900X because while yes it has the two extra cores i think the higher clocked 8 on the 9900K will make up for that.

As for gaming on the 2950X, yes but its still not a bad CPU for gaming is it? the performance is still good.

Soldato
My Workload is 60% Gaming 40% work, but when i game i do also set stuff to run in the background also. Currently
when doing so my 1800X is hitting good 80-95% & 12-14GB RAM used.

Work ? Do you mean work involved with a hobby, or proper work as in you are being paid ? If being paid and proper work, then surely it must 100% have precedent over any gaming considerations ?

Soldato
OP
It depends ^^^^^ red there is Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8Ghz, Blue 7600K @ 4.8Ghz, the 1600 in that is a lot faster ^^^^
The 8700K is the gaming King, no argument, it is.
---------------------------
@smogsy

The thing is the 9900K having 16 much higher clocked threads will be significantly faster than the 1800X, in high threaded workloads it will be just as fast as the 7900X because while yes it has the two extra cores i think the higher clocked 8 on the 9900K will make up for that.

As for gaming on the 2950X, yes but its still not a bad CPU for gaming is it? the performance is still good.
it is an i do game at 1440p 144hz Possibly 4K (have a 4K gsync too, but barely used)

just dont want to go down in performance from 1800x in any workload

Work ? Do you mean work involved with a hobby, of proper work as in you are being paid ? If being paid and proper work, then surely it must 100% have precedent over any gaming considerations ?
Bit of both. I do programming in my own time, sometimes for myself & sometimes for work too.

BUt you should see my post updated with typical workload day

Soldato
it is an i do game at 1440p 144hz Possibly 4K (have a 4K gsync too, but barely used)

just dont want to go down in performance from 1800x in any workload

Bit of both. I do programming in my own time, sometimes for myself & sometimes for work too.

BUt you should see my post updated with typical workload day

144hz + your software likes clockspeed.
I'd be looking at 9900K but as you have said your 1800x gets 80-95% utilised.
7900K would be my choice here.

Caporegime
I think in some games you will take a hit in performance on the 2950X because of the nature of its design vs the single die 1800X.

I think you can count the 2950X out, its just 7900X or 9900K....

9900K :)

Back
Top Bottom