• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Matt, have you tried testing the adhesive on something else? Maybe stick a spare heatsink to an old tin or something and see what happens when you try to remove it.

I did that with the Alpenfohn glue as I had similar concerns about it being permanent.
Turned out it was fine.

I tried the Thermal Adhesive they sent me, i stuck one of the heatsinks to a metal tin. In my opinion its nothing but Glue. I do not believe for one second that it has any thermal conductivity at all, especially after danielle said this.

kzaWg.jpg

I believe it will glue the heatsinks nicely to the card, but its just glue. Nothing more nothing less, as a result i believe a properly applied G1 will provide better temps. I will wait till they bring out their new version of G1 before i go for a third (and hopefully final) refit.

Caporegime
OP
I hereby declare never to fiddle again in public, er i mean never with my accelero... Until they bring out the new version of G1, then its open season on fiddling and i can fiddle till my hearts content, or i end up in the slammer. The one thing that eats away at me is the fact i have that 1 heatsink the wrong way round, the fat one on the CHL8228 voltage controller. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Just glue eh?... Might as well try the Alpenfohn stuff and get some better heatsinks into the bargain :D
I really should've made a little video to debunk the 'It's permanent!' rumours...

Here's what mine looked like after I'd removed it. Yeah, cleaning rubber-like stuff out of those little channels requires patience (especially if you're like me and do it without the aid of isopropyl achohol or something...), but you're not going to break anything when/if you need to remove the heatsink(s) :)
Untitled-14.jpg

I understand the fiddling need (not in a Japanese commuter kinda way :p). Once you stick an aftermarket cooler on your card, you get an urge to maximize the results even if the ones you already have are perfectly fine.
Half of us wouldn't be on here if we didn't enjoy buggering about with our machines after all ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just glue eh?... Might as well try the Alpenfohn stuff and get some better heatsinks into the bargain :D
I really should've made a little video to debunk the 'It's permanent!' rumours...

Here's what mine looked like after I'd removed it. Yeah, cleaning rubber-like stuff out of those little channels requires patience (especially if you're like me and do it without the aid of isopropyl achohol or something...), but you're not going to break anything when/if you need to remove the heatsink(s) :)
Untitled-14.jpg

I understand the fiddling need (not in a Japanese commuter kinda way :p). Once you stick an aftermarket cooler on your card, you get an urge to maximize the results even if the ones you already have are perfectly fine.
Half of us wouldn't be on here if we didn't enjoy buggering about with our machines after all ;)

Its tempting Petey i have to admit. If you ever do make that video ill watch with interest. (and possibly some popcorn depending on the length - thats what she said)

Looks like you did a good job of cleaning it all off. I normally use nail polish remover (don't worry, its not mine, honest) and cotton pads to clean cpu/gpu parts.

For now im going to leave it as it is, especially as i have no more G1. (if anyone finds some hit me up - just one more hit man, thats all i need, one more hit of that g1 goodness) I'm interested to see what the new G1 is going to be like, i guess that won't be ready for a few months though.

Soldato
Nothing to lose, apart from £11.99 :D
Grab some, do the tin test and see what you think. At worst, you'll have a nice set of heatsinks to use when you eventually get the new G1.
I get the impression that the Accelero is a bit of a pain to keep taking on and off though...

Caporegime
OP
Nothing to lose, apart from £11.99 :D
Grab some, do the tin test and see what you think. At worst, you'll have a nice set of heatsinks to use when you eventually get the new G1.
I get the impression that the Accelero is a bit of a pain to keep taking on and off though...

Yeah i probably will Petey thanks when the new G1 comes out, the AC heatsinks are kinda weak in every sense.

Soldato

Nah, not at all, it's fiddly(matts current buzzword:D) on initial installation, but after that it's easy as just removing the four screws on the gpu to get it off again, simple really.

:)

the AC heatsinks are kinda weak in every sense.

+1, AC using the cheapest metals they can get their hands on for the heatsinks now, they used to be of a much better quality on the first Accelero's.:(

Caporegime
OP
Yeah its not that much of a hassle if you don't have to reseat the heatsinks. I actually enjoyed it the second time around as i had a much better understanding of what to do. Just wish i could swap two of the heatsinks round though! :D

Caporegime
OP
Ah you've got me thinking now, just as i was about to pull out of the game forever. On the two yellow circles i have the smallest heatsink (see picture below, the heatsink at the end), however im thinking if i replace those small ones with the taller larger ones in the picture below that will help lower vrm temps even further. On the arrow i have one of the fat VRAM heatsinks, i need to rotate that 90 degrees as well so its facing to the side and will benefit from more air from my front 200.

All i need is the G1 gold dust. :D

tbm58.jpg

jIxBl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
You need four of these and the glue that comes with them :p

Liiiike a gloooove! :D
IMG-20121020-00322.jpg

Failing that, yeah, those L shaped sinks should be better.
I never put anything on the voltage controller chip at the bottom and never saw any temps issues, although that could be an explanation for artifacting at higher clocks/voltages despite great temps... I feel a facepalm coming on :o

Caporegime
OP
Petey they do look like a nice snug fit i must say and the heatsinks look like they have a lot more meat on them. I'm almost convinced.

Your theory is interesting and could explain why i was recently able to get into the top 10 in both the 3dmark leader board and the Unigine Heaven leader board. My 7970 suddenly became a better clocker.

Caporegime
OP
Consider my face well and truly palmed... Live and learn eh?

We all make mistakes. Some of our mistakes break the gpu, however others are minor. Mistakes ensure we get to keep fiddling. What we do behind closed doors is our business. This gives you an excuse to do it again, and this time, to do it right! :cool:

Soldato
Definitely. Also, acceptance is the first step towards rehabilitation I hear :D

Now I just need friends that don't screw up and make me lend them all my money and I may be able to get back in the fiddling game.

Back
Top Bottom