• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Good job and welcome to the club. Post back with your stock and overclocked temps for comparison. Include vrm temps as well plox.

If you leave it in a warm room like i did. Curing time only took 6 hours for me on my second attempt.

Soldato
what cases are you all using? this thing is HUGE id have to resort to the hacksaw if I wanted to fit one of these coolers

Silverstone RV03. Loads of clearance and no question of issues with "GPU droop" due to weight that some people with aftermarket coolers complain about. However my temperatures are a little higher than others in this thread, so this case might not be the coolest for this style of cooler (or my card may just naturally run hotter).

Soldato
this thing is HUGE id have to resort to the hacksaw if I wanted to fit one of these coolers

two will not without a few hacksaw mods....

I'll get the dremel out if I need to :p

Tommy knows all about dremels. :D

:D

(Warning-there are 4 large pics in the spoiler tags and I just snipped out the best bits from the post)

What It was like before cutting the case:

aea93ea25381379c498dc08aa35d6b1b.jpg

As you can see there was no way that the new cooler was going to fit.
Out came the trusty old Dremmel and I cut a hole in the tray and used some 'Blowhole Edge Trim' which OC don't stock so I had to source from elsewhere.

Tray cut out mod of my Antec P-182 case in order for them to fit:

Please note: First Take Everything Out Your Case When Cutting As Things Will Blow Up!!!

f947bd889ddf84491f148f312a824c01.jpg

I had to remove the bottom fan holder as well in order for the cooler to fit.

In the picture above, the mb was only in the shot in order to check that the card including cooler would fit!
All done and time to go into the case:

026023eea22723f97af8b30a5ac82c3d.jpg

(I have since hooked the top card up with ninja wire and it's straight now;))

As you can see, the fans protrude through the hole I cut.

A view from below:

4742cf36e09b644c229f3be787e6d6e8.jpg

Without a doubt my favorite cards ever, my trusty old AC Extreme 6950>70's with my home made custom voltage bios and unlocked CCC limits-no mucking about with ulps.

They were mental@1GHz+ for £40 less than the price of a single 580 when bought and they utterly demolished it without breaking a sweat.

Oh the mammaries!

Always love a good bit of dremel and the banter...

...Oh and they played BF3 on full ultra@launch, they never became redundant overnight!;)

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got in this morning and had a look to see if the glue had cured. It doesn't look like it has set fully.... The smaller L shape sinks can be moved very easily but nothing falls off if I hold the card vertically. Normal or not?

Soldato
So I got in this morning and had a look to see if the glue had cured. It doesn't look like it has set fully.... The smaller L shape sinks can be moved very easily but nothing falls off if I hold the card vertically. Normal or not?

They don't set hard mine still move after a month, The outside of a static bag is conductive so putting the card on that is not ideal. A piece of card would be better.

Soldato
If it has had an overnight to cure I would assemble the card and run a few games on it to warm it up and help it set. Just be careful assembling as the heat sinks will be loose and easily knocked off. Like I said mine are still wobbly after a month or so it's so you can remove them as it is not a permanent bond.

Associate
Mine took 24 hours to set properly, they don't move anymore but the stuff is designed to be removable, not like actual thermal glue where you'd pull the chip off the board if you tried to remove it. You can still move the pieces after a month, that doesn't sound right tbh!

Back
Top Bottom