• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
How's the peter coming Matt?

Its not im afraid. Sadly one of the screws required for mounting was worn down so its on its way back to pete which he will rma it. I did try it but temps were significantly worse 10c+. I think that was because of the screw though so i don't want to slate the Peter too much. I have to say though, its an ugly beast compared to the accelero. I've now reinstalled my accelero but sadly my os ssd drive died so im using a temp drive for the moment until my new one arrives tuesday.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, sorry about that. It was never an issue when I used it. :confused:

I did say that when you use the GT's, core temps are around 6-7c worse than with the custom fan setup. Add a couple of degrees difference in ambient temps + the Accelero offering maybe 1-2c better core temps and it could well be around 10c.

Like I've said a number of times, the Peter comes into it's own when you get creative with the fan setup :)

How were the VRM temps compared to the Accelero?

About the same, maybe slightly better. Honestly i expected more. The screw issue didn't help, also irked me that it had the wrong mounting plate on one of the sides and with the screw heads worn down there was nothing i could do to change it. I know you could still fit it anyway even with one adapter on but that's pretty poor from Alpenföhn to send it out like that.

I guess you need a load of different fans like you had blowing in different directions to get decent temps. Or it was a case of one more install pushed that screw over the edge. Still you live and learn. Part of me wants to try out the Prolimatech Black Series MK-26 Multi-VGA Cooler next. :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-028-PL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=787

That will have to wait now i just had to fork out for a new 250gb Samsung ssd though.

Caporegime
OP
Yes i should probably leave well alone Pete but we both know that won't happen. I will keep my eyes peeled for new toys. Its a shame that the gelid kit doesn't seem to work out.

Caporegime
OP
I've just completely rebuilt my system today. Wiring and everything. I've even added a couple of ghetto fan positions to my case. I've screwed and cable tied a 1850 GT about 4 inches away from my accelero blowing directly onto the vrms and ive cable tied a 150cfm bitfenix spectre led fan onto the side mesh of my 600t to exhaust the warm air from the gpu. Once i've got windows fully reinstalled and updated ill see what difference its made.

Caporegime
OP
G1 beats tape all day long. However the permanent adhesive beats g1. If you want my two cents use G1 on the dram chips and use permanent adhesive on the vrm's for a better hold.

Caporegime
OP
If you want the best possible vrm temps you need to use the permanent adhesive which is like rubber sealant. It holds the heatsinks on very tightly. But with elbow grease and a lot of gentle wiggling they will come loose, and eventually come off. Just takes some patience. Put a coasting of the adhesive all the way along the bottom of the heatsink then place and hold firmly on the metal vrm chip for 20 seconds. Do that for all the vrms then leave for one hour to dry. After that you can use the card. Its not like g1 where you have to wait 6 weeks for it to dry. One other thing that really helps keep the vrm temps down, get a decent exhaust fan on the side of your case, ideally a 200mm bitfenix spectre pro fan. 150cfm exhaust, helps move a ton of heat away from the card when it gets warm and really helps keep temps lower once you start overclocking hard.

dHeAE9e.jpg

ExvAiRf.jpg

It might not look pretty, yes that is a cable tied fan to the side of my case but its effective. :D

I will add this picture below to the OP. This is the best possible heatsink placement for vrm cooling. The L shaped sinks are the key. You might have to wiggle/gently force the top left L shaped sink into position but it will fit.

e937Gvy.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well GPU stripped, fitted L shaped heat sinks to the RHS of the card and a longer thinner one to the top left VRM as unable to change the laws of physics and fit an L shaped one lol.

Curing now.

What card do you have? Maybe the layout is slightly different so a L shaped one won't fit on that left vrm.

Caporegime
OP
Just fired up my 7970 and the VRM's are hitting 106.c. I'm going to order the swiftech and make it fit. Just need to work out how to remove the heatsinks attached with permanent adhesive now.

Sure I have some Meths around somewhere.. :D

Use Swann Lighter Fluid. That's what i did to remove the permanent adhesive from the vrm's/dram chips. I know it sounds risky, but it works. Card booted up fine afterwards. Coat the the card with lighter fluid and eventually the adhesive will loosen then you can wiggle and eventually pull off. Just make sure you leave it an hour or two to allow the lighter fluid to evaporate. Or you can be creative and impatient like me and get a hair drier on there and start using it again within 40 minutes. ;)

Caporegime
OP
They just pulled off with little effort. Tbh the contact looked pretty crap with the permanent adhesive. I have cleaned the card up and now I'm pondering what to do. The swiftech is out of stock at most places. I might just try some thermal tape or Tbh the temps were ok without any sinks on the ram and vrm's I might just run the fans %100 and leave it bare and see how it does.

Moogleys i do wonder about you. The permanent adhesive does not just pull off, its bloody hard work. Are you sure you weren't using G1? Cos it sure sounds like it. I don't know how you manage to use it and get bad contact.

I won't even comment on your 7970 smoothness issue you mentioned in another thread, but seeing your vrm's at 106c its no wonder. :D

Caporegime
OP
Oh btw i took my accelero apart for the final time today to refit the vrm sinks again. I recommend the three L shaped sinks you use on the right vrms should cover 3 metal plate vrms each. This ensures even distribution. Otherwise you end up using 4 metal plate vrms on 2 of the L shaped sinks and 2 on the final one. 3+3+3 works out about 5c better than 4+4+2. Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom