• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Well, I'm not even going to try and understand W/MK even after a bit of a google :o

In my mind, however, I'd say that a thin bit of thermal tape would transfer heat to a heatsink better than a thick pad.
After all, thermal paste works better when spread thinly right? Yeah, it's two different things...
Perhaps someone with a better understanding can help :)

Basically higher is better.

The reason for my trying a pad is ive seen reports of other people using them on vrm's and reporting better temps. Maybe i should play it safe and stick to G1.

Is it not worth giving the tape a go if it's bad you can then re-build using the G1 you have on the way ?

That is a possibility. I think if i want to use the thermal pad though ill have to use a bit of the permanent adhesive. I'm pretty sure that the Akasa tape will provide worse temps though so not sure its even worth trying that.

Caporegime
so what temps are you guys getting overclocked? or stock? and are the fans loud at full pelt?

im thinking of buying one of these coolers so watching this thread with interest,wonder when ocuk will have any back in stock?

Caporegime
OP
If you're going to try the pad, you may as well try the Akasa tape before you got to the trouble of applying a double layer of glue.

I could just use the tape instead of the pad i suppose. I could use the permanent adhesive to glue the heatsink to the tape then just stick the tape on the vrm. Good thinking Petey.

I saw a thread from you thinking about buying a 580gtx the other day Petey. Changed your mind again? I thought I'd convinced you to go with a msi 7970. :p

Caporegime
OP
I could just use the tape instead of the pad i suppose. I could use the permanent adhesive to glue the heatsink to the tape then just stick the tape on the vrm. Good thinking Petey.

I saw a thread from you thinking about buying a 580gtx the other day Petey. Changed your mind again? I thought I'd convinced you to go with a msi 7970. :p

Petey could you try something for me. Can you try using the glue stuff you have an putting some of that on the heatsink, sticking the heatsink to the akasa tape then sticking the tape to the vrm.

Soldato
You won't even need the glue if you use the tape.
Oh, and it's better to stick the tape to the VRM's and make sure it's thoroughly on and inbetween the gaps first imo. Then glue the sinks to it if you must.

That 580 was a good price and I thought what the hell seeing as it'd probably do me fine for a little while.
Now, I'm back on the 79xx path again :) Mainly coz it'll last a longer and also because I have to scratch that fiddler's itch. Stock just won't do... Besides, I can't let you have all the fun :D

There's also this, after having just tried the Akasa tape:
Edit: Right now, I'm even more set on going with the 7970 OC now since I won't have to spend a while removing thermal glue should the card ever go **** up again.
I need a 7970 pcb to make it easy to install the VRM heatsink due to it being oriented in a nice straight line, unlike most of the weird 7950 configurations. Since OcUk don't do the TF3 V2 anymore and afaik, the only other card with a ref 7970 PCB is the IceQ x2 (Only £10 less than the 7970 right now), the 7970 OC is the only other option.

Petey could you try something for me. Can you try using the glue stuff you have an putting some of that on the heatsink, sticking the heatsink to the akasa tape then sticking the tape to the vrm

No can do I'm afraid. That glue tends to dry up in the tube after a little while, so I have none to work with.
I don't really see the point either tbh. To me, it seems like just adding more obstruction between VRM and heatsink.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have hit the OC limits of my card which is 1100/1600 as my 7950 is a locked XFX I cannot go higher. I'm only at 1.1v it's a shame as the max temp is under 60.c.

I must admit I have been tempted to fit the Accelero to my launch 7970 and see what it will do but the hassle of Glue/tape has put me off tbh.

Caporegime
OP
You won't even need the glue if you use the tape.
Oh, and it's better to stick the tape to the VRM's and make sure it's thoroughly on and inbetween the gaps first imo. Then glue the sinks to it if you must.

That 580 was a good price and I thought what the hell seeing as it'd probably do me fine for a little while.
Now, I'm back on the 79xx path again :) Mainly coz it'll last a longer and also because I have to scratch that fiddler's itch. Stock just won't do... Besides, I can't let you have all the fun :D

There's also this, after having just tried the Akasa tape:

No can do I'm afraid. That glue tends to dry up in the tube after a little while, so I have none to work with.
I don't really see the point either tbh. To me, it seems like just adding more obstruction between VRM and heatsink.

What do you think i should do? :D

What plans have you got for your potential 7970 oc card?

I have hit the OC limits of my card which is 1100/1600 as my 7950 is a locked XFX I cannot go higher. I'm only at 1.1v it's a shame as the max temp is under 60.c.

I must admit I have been tempted to fit the Accelero to my launch 7970 and see what it will do but the hassle of Glue/tape has put me off tbh.

The tape is the easy method Moog. Tommy used tape and its a much quicker install and you can use it straight away. The glue method is the time consuming method.

Soldato
I think you should wait for the new batch of G1 and then try the Akasa tape before you re-glue stuff.
Buying thick pads and using glue on each side seems a bit much to me. I say use either pads, tape or thermal glue.

Me? I'm going to use the tape to start with. If temps are fine and in line with what I had previously, I'll leave it at that. If not, I'll use the glue again.
I'll still use a bit of thermal paste with a teensy-weensy dab of superglue or Thermal glue for the VRAM sinks.

Failing all that, I may just bung the dual-X cooler on it :p

Caporegime
OP
I think you should wait for the new batch of G1 and then try the Akasa tape before you re-glue stuff.
Buying thick pads and using glue on each side seems a bit much to me. I say use either pads, tape or thermal glue.

Me? I'm going to use the tape to start with. If temps are fine and in line with what I had previously, I'll leave it at that. If not, I'll use the glue again.
I'll still use a bit of thermal paste with a teensy-weensy dab of superglue or Thermal glue for the VRAM sinks.

Failing all that, I may just bung the dual-X cooler on it :p

What's the dual x cooler?

What thermal paste did you put on the vrms? Do you mean like IC diamond? I have some Gelid Solutions Extreme that i could try. It certainly lowered my cpu temps by a few C over mx-4.

I hope whatever you do you document it well, i know you want to.

Hopefully Tommy will come online soon as we were both looking at this.

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=72

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=13&id=62

Soldato
Dual-X is the cooler that came with the Sapphire card. It's not amazing, but it's gotta be better than a reference blower.
It's only if I can't be bothered to fit the Peter again, which isn't likely as it's easy.

I didn't use any thermal paste on the VRM's, just thermal glue.
I used thermal paste on the VRAM heatsinks and put a tiny dab of superglue in two corners to secure them.

I'll take plenty of pics for ya.
Was my first adventure not detailed enough? :D

Ed: That first link looks interesting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Dual-X is the cooler that came with the Sapphire card. It's not amazing, but it's gotta be better than a reference blower.
It's only if I can't be bothered to fit the Peter again, which isn't likely as it's easy.

I didn't use any thermal paste on the VRM's, just thermal glue.
I used thermal paste on the VRAM heatsinks and put a tiny dab of superglue in two corners to secure them.

I'll take plenty of pics for ya.
Was my first adventure not detailed enough? :D

Ed: That first link looks interesting.

That first adventure was great. That reminds me i never finished reading that. I started it once but even after a few hours reading i still wasn't finished. Will have to go back for a second look. Sent you a trust with details of that thermal pad i just bought. Had a change of heart. I just hope its sticky enough like the akasa stuff.

Soldato
Oh, don't worry about it. It's mostly out of date anyway with lazy edits providing vague update info.
I'll do a better one soon with less waffle. Well, maybe less waffle. I like waffle.

Well, if all goes swimmingly, it looks like you and me have a cooler war on the cards. (see what I did there? Yeah, I'll get me coat... :o )

Caporegime
OP
Oh, don't worry about it. It's mostly out of date anyway with lazy edits providing vague update info.
I'll do a better one soon with less waffle. Well, maybe less waffle. I like waffle.

Well, if all goes swimmingly, it looks like you and me have a cooler war on the cards. (see what I did there? Yeah, I'll get me coat... :o )

:D

Bring it on! Hopefully my gear should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

Soldato
Schweet. Me too hopefully.

Btw, do you get memory temp readings on this card? It's one I thing I didn't get on my last one.
After sticking on all those heatsinks, you kind of want to know whether it was worth it :D

Associate
Quick question matt, how high can you get on core clock sliding all the way up? Mine only goes to 1125, is that right? I swear I saw someone get higher on the same card.

OR.......OR! Do I not know left from right? Go easy though, it's my first gpu overclock!

Sorry i meant on msi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom