• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Matt by the time you have finished you will be able to fit the cooler in the dark... :D

I know you don't even need to say it. I've already drawn up plans for what im going to do with my next refit. Seeing Frenzy's efforts has given me a second wind of energy to do it. As always though until i can find some paste my hands are tied.

Soldato
Yeah I was still learning how to use the software :p

I stuck longer ones on and tried to cover as much area as I could on the bottom ram chip, I was tempted to stick an L shape on!
The L shape on VRMs I got from you and the last large ramsink I just stuck on the far right chip.
I was tempted to get a spot cooler and stick it on the back of the card. I still have some heatsinks left which I'm tempted to put on the back too!

My ASIC is 59.5% :) What's yours?

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I was still learning how to use the software :p

I stuck longer ones on and tried to cover as much area as I could on the bottom ram chip, I was tempted to stick an L shape on!
The L shape on VRMs I got from you and the last large ramsink I just stuck on the far right chip.
I was tempted to get a spot cooler and stick it on the back of the card. I still have some heatsinks left which I'm tempted to put on the back too!

My ASIC is 59.5% :) What's yours?

78.9%.

I knew your Asic would be really low. That would explain your slightly lower temps. That is a really low asic card. Will be interesting to see how far you can overclock that one. Should be able to pump up the volts a lot and not suffer too much from extreme temps.

Yeah using the L shaped sinks on the VRM's really helped. I should have used a long thin one on the top vrm, instead i used the skinny thin one. Another bad call on my part but i don't think it makes a huge difference. Likely just a couple of C. Putting a long thin one on the left vrm might be a good shout and something ill do on my next refit.

I think at least two of your heatsinks (L shaped left side and one tall one below it) are doing nothing. But still better safe than sorry i suppose.

Soldato
Ok so I can get a clock of 1196 on the core at very close to 1.3v. Anything above that and I seem to start getting artifacting. The gpu is only 51c with vrms being around 60.

Do I need more juice and if so how do I get more? I tried trixx that was suggested in another thread but it only goes up to 1.3v...

This is all I can muster it seems.

0feIQ52.jpg ATloGYV.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Looks good frenzy. You have a good but not great clocker.

I'm considering buying this (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-059-AR&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=787) so i can get my hands on some more G1. Desperate isn't it? :D

I could then sell the cooler on the meat market or i could actually try to fit it to the bee-atches HD7770 OC card. It would be pointless really though as its Gigabyte card so the cooler on it already does a solid job, but still that would mean i have some more G1 to play with. I could also get these heatsinks (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-038-AL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=787) and give myself good reason for another refit.

Caporegime
OP
I found this from a french website.

tga8QJi.jpg

I don't know about other Accelero users, but my insulation strip is not there. Its resting up vertically against the black chips to the left. Have i done it wrong or have they done it wrong?

Caporegime
OP
I think they have.
VRM's-Insulation-Glue-Heatsink sounds wrong. Kinda like leaving the plastic bit on the cpu cooler contact plate imo.

That's what i thought Pete.

Well you'll be pleased to know Pete i went and bought another Aceelero. It was one of the cheaper ones. Got it off an auction site for around £13. So i should have my hands on some more G1 gold dust hopefully. If it comes with that permanent stuff then i will try and send it back as it clearly states G1 included in the link.

Then i found something called this "Phobya Thermal pad Ultra 5W/mk 30x30x1mm (1 piece)". Google will show you. That has a slightly better W/MK (whatever that means :p) than Arctic's G1. So i might get some of that, stick it on the vrm's with the permanent adhesive arctic sent me then stick the accelero heatsinks on the thermal pad and use more of the adhesive to stick the sinks to that.

I've tried to find something called a "fujipoly extreme thermal pad" which is supposed to be the daddy of all thermal pads with 17.0 W/MK but i can't find them in the UK.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Soldato
That is wrong. The insulation tape is to stop the bare contacts of the chokes from touching the heat sinks and shorting. Having it like they have will cause the VRM's to get ruddy hot.

Soldato
That's what i thought Pete.

Well you'll be pleased to know Pete i went and bought another Aceelero. It was one of the cheaper ones. Got it off an auction site for around £13. So i should have my hands on some more G1 gold dust hopefully. If it comes with that permanent stuff then i will try and send it back as it clearly states G1 included in the link.

Then i found something called this "Phobya Thermal pad Ultra 5W/mk 30x30x1mm (1 piece)". Google will show you. That has a slightly better W/MK (whatever that means :p) than Arctic's G1. So i might get some of that, stick it on the vrm's with the permanent adhesive arctic sent me then stick the accelero heatsinks on the thermal pad and use more of the adhesive to stick the sinks to that.

I've tried to find something called a "fujipoly extreme thermal pad" which is supposed to be the daddy of all thermal pads with 17.0 W/MK but i can't find them in the UK.

Opinions?

I dunno mate. If you're gonna stick a thermal pad on with permanent adhesive, you may as well stick a heatsink on with permanent adhesive.
Or do you reckon the pad would be easier to remove? You'd still have to get the glue off the VRM's either way.

Tell you what, I've still got my card lying around as well as some thin Akasa tape. If that manages to hold the slim Alpenfohn sinks to the VRM's, it'd easily manage the very lightweight Arctic ones.
I'll get back to you in a bit :)

Caporegime
OP
I dunno mate. If you're gonna stick a thermal pad on with permanent adhesive, you may as well stick a heatsink on with permanent adhesive.
Or do you reckon the pad would be easier to remove? You'd still have to get the glue off the VRM's either way.

Tell you what, I've still got my card lying around as well as some thin Akasa tape. If that manages to hold the slim Alpenfohn sinks to the VRM's, it'd easily manage the very lightweight Arctic ones.
I'll get back to you in a bit :)

Thanks Petey. I'm not sure if its worth it or not, but i figured that i would just put a very small dab of the perm adhesive and then use the thermal pad on that. I imagine that wouldn't be too hard to get off. Then i could add a heatsink on top of that. It probably sounds like madness but to me it sounds like another way to bring down those vital temps. :D

Maybe i should just stick to the G1. :p

Soldato
Well, after a quick test, I say get yourself some of this mate: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-AK&groupid=701&catid=27&subcat=
It held them rock solid :)
I pulled them off and stuck the massive VRM heatsink to it and have left the card sitting upside down for a bit. So far, it's looking good. Hasn't budged.

My previous attempts with sticky thermal tape were with the thick pad that came with the card. This stuff is thinner and so far, better.

Caporegime
OP
Well, after a quick test, I say get yourself some of this mate: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-AK&groupid=701&catid=27&subcat=
It held them rock solid :)
I pulled them off and stuck the massive VRM heatsink to it and have left the card sitting upside down for a bit. So far, it's looking good. Hasn't budged.

My previous attempts with sticky thermal tape were with the thick pad that came with the card. This stuff is thinner and so far, better.

I've actually already got some of that. I'm worried though that it will provide worse temps than the G1. The W/MK of that Akasa stuff is only 0.9.

Soldato
Well, I'm not even going to try and understand W/MK even after a bit of a google :o

In my mind, however, I'd say that a thin bit of thermal tape would transfer heat to a heatsink better than a thick pad.
After all, thermal paste works better when spread thinly right? Yeah, it's two different things...
Perhaps someone with a better understanding can help :)

Edit: Right now, I'm even more set on going with the 7970 OC now since I won't have to spend a while removing thermal glue should the card ever go **** up again.
I need a 7970 pcb to make it easy to install the VRM heatsink due to it being oriented in a nice straight line, unlike most of the weird 7950 configurations. Since OcUk don't do the TF3 V2 anymore and afaik, the only other card with a ref 7970 PCB is the IceQ x2 (Only £10 less than the 7970 right now), the 7970 OC is the only other option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom