• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Soldato
Hah, so went to fit the HSF and everything was fine. I then heard a "ting" sound... checked the sinks on the board and all the VRM sinks had fallen off.

The Non conductive tape was pushing the sinks off, this shows how much the glue was helping to stick the sinks on...

Lucikly I still had the tray of glue I used yesterday which seemed really really sticky. Applied that to the VRMs and pushed the tape further aside. They are sticking more now but still fall off when the card is upside down. I'm just going to let it set until around 4pm and then try the HSF again. Hopefully they'll stay stuck this time.

I can't help but feel the instructions for applying the glue is wrong. Perhaps you are supposed to wait for the consistency to become more "sticky" before you actually apply the stuff.

Soldato
That's not good. I mixed up the glue and then slapped it all over. I pushed each heatsink down for 10 seconds and then left it all overnight to cure.

Did you mix the glue really well ?

Soldato
I imagine that will do the job tbh. Just give it a few hours to set and carefully fit the heat sink. A few runs to get it all warmed up will hopefully help it cure and not make all the heat sinks fall off....:)

Soldato
So I got it home and the VRM sinks aren't falling off. I took the paste off the GPU contact and put AS5 on it instead.

I loaded up kombuster for a quick go on stock settings 1175mv/core1010mhz/mem1375mhz

The VRMs were hitting 77 to 83 and at that point I stopped kombuster.

UKyeoTX.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Were those at stocks speeds? I have to be honest i think with this G1 stuff if the heatsink falls off before it cures your temps will not be as good as they could be. That's what i found during my two installs. You really need to nail it the first time with this. Its so stupid how they don't give you more G1, or even sell it any more. Urgh, don't get me started on that again.

EDIT

I notice you have a quite a bit of sag as well. I used my pci-e power cables to help support the card. When screwing the card into the case push the card up and hold it there before you tighten the screws firmly, this can also help to remove the sag.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure the worry they are rated to 125.c so well within limits... ? Get the bugger cooking...:)

Are they really though? I looked this up, looked for an official data sheet and couldn't find it. All i could find was the CHL8228 temp and that was 85c. I even asked Thracks the AMD rep what the maximum safe values were for Core, RAM and VRM and he said "Generally speaking, we recommend 90C or less for everything.".

Soldato
I pushed the side up, something I always do. The right looks like it is sagging, I guess it is because of the large heatsink putting more weight on the right of the card... I'll figure out a way to support it, maybe, shouldn't be that much of an issue right?

Anyway quick test at stock

SyHXYRO.jpg

Soldato
Are they really though? I looked this up, looked for an official data sheet and couldn't find it. All i could find was the CHL8228 temp and that was 85c. I even asked Thracks the AMD rep what the maximum safe values were for Core, RAM and VRM and he said "Generally speaking, we recommend 90C or less for everything.".

I did find something that said all the OEM cards used VRM,s rated to 125.c but will need to try and dig it up. 3rd party cards might have 85.c ones but I would have thought most would be 125.c

Soldato
Card appears to be idling at 40c 100% fans.. think it was 33ish when I first put the card in.

Noob question, there are two power connectors for the fans, I've only plugged one in to the card itself... Correct?

Edit: LOL didn't actually have the fans running 100% above, not used afterburner before so I assumed thats what they were at. Hadn't created a user defined profile..

Caporegime
OP
Stop!! Do not use Kombuster/Furmark to test stability or temps. It puts unrealistic load on the gpu.

Use Unigine Heaven 4.0 for now. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2205/mirrors.php

Use these settings @ 1080p, then we can compare temps.

UOTOYNI.jpg

Put the accelero at 100% fan speed prior to running the benchmark. Will post back shortly with comparison temps from my 'good mount' of Accelero+G1.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fan profile for the stock cooler will not be good for the Accelero. You would be better off setting up a custom profile in Afterburner or similar. Mine is set to be %50 all the time which provides superb cooling and it is silent.

Soldato
I used v3, still want me to load v4?
Think those VRM readings are wrong cause I left gpuz running without restarting it.

edit: also I think people are going for ultra quality and extreme tessellation with 8 AA, should we stick to that?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I used v3, still want me to load v4?
Think those VRM readings are wrong cause I left gpuz running without restarting it.

edit: also I think people are going for ultra quality and extreme tessellation with 8 AA, should we stick to that?

Good idea. I copied these from Kaap's thread. Use 4.0 please.

Mode = 1920*1080 8*AA Fullscreen
Preset = Custom
Quality = Ultra
Tessellation = Extreme

Will report back in due course.

Soldato
I did find something that said all the OEM cards used VRM,s rated to 125.c but will need to try and dig it up. 3rd party cards might have 85.c ones but I would have thought most would be 125.c

I heard that, wasnt it something to do with an xfx cooler that wasnt cooling vrams properly or something?

Soldato
Ok same sys setup but with unigine 4, with fans on 100% the VRM temps are really low :D

Anway this is all stock, I'm going to get high and eat :p I will be back later to push the card but I want the compounds to cook in a bit first.

WucWPAN.jpg V0Ck5aT.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Ok same sys setup but with unigine 4, with fans on 100% the VRM temps are really low :D

Anway this is all stock, I'm going to get high and eat :p I will be back later to push the card but I want the compounds to cook in a bit first.

WucWPAN.jpg V0Ck5aT.jpg

Your temps look good to me, they are slightly better than mine. I guess the high's before were because you ran furmark and had the fan speed on 40%. :)
Interesting to note that you added a couple of extra heatsinks which i might try out next time i do a refit. One mistake i did make was using a small and skinny heatsink on the GDDRAM slot near the metal plate. Wish i had put a thicker one there now. Room temp was 26c.

What Asic is your card?

baDilhS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom