• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Associate
Follow this guide by the man himself http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2263110.html.
You may not need the patch file.

On another note, a question: I've never been a huge believer in a drastic difference in TIM, but I'm open to suggestion here. IC diamond 7, MX-4 or something else for the gpu?
Has to be in stock at OcUK coz free postage rocks :)

Thanks, I'll try that now :D

It worked!

%D0%B6%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B4%D1%8C-%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%BD%D1%8F%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B8-149890.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
matt via email-

Also, where the hell would i get a vice from? Lol!

d98b459fe68e5fb64d4228d509038762.jpg

Unlucky folks, you probably don't have a clue, but matt does!:D

Then i found something called this "Phobya Thermal pad Ultra 5W/mk 30x30x1mm (1 piece)". Google will show you. That has a slightly better W/MK (whatever that means :p) than Arctic's G1. So i might get some of that, stick it on the vrm's with the permanent adhesive arctic sent me then stick the accelero heatsinks on the thermal pad and use more of the adhesive to stick the sinks to that.

No, no, no, no!

Just use the tape on it's own, you have it, try it, when the heatsink sets into the tape and gets bombarded with heat, the tape between the two contacts gets thinner, it looks quite thick at first, but when you strip it off after a while, it's about half as thick compared to the overlapping parts of tape.

Mmmmmmm:

http://filebeam.com/b4e2b10979e98da2d5d28b91ded8d003.jpg
It costs roughly £34, i say roughly as last I looked it cost ~£24, the other tenner is for me telling you who makes it!:D

56873961bb64ded07e7918907c83bb9b.jpg

Oh well I'll let you off with the tenner, it's Swiftech, you will find it on the USA site, although I have seen it for sale in the UK some time ago, but it might be discontinued although still sourcable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Petey get some gelid gc extreme from a well known auction site. Its great paste which ocuk no longer stock any more.

God damn tommy knows his heatsinks. Gonna hit you up on trust petey with some possible alternatives to vrm cooling.

Those enzotech heatsinks look great. Really temped to order the DRAM + VRM versions. Will they fit though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The moment of truth, or the refit of my accelero as i like to call it, is almost upon us.

With the help of my minions (Tommy+Petey) along with some other dude from another forum i have ordered some of these EnzoTech heatsinks. These will go on the VRM area and should cool much more effectively than the light weight accelero sinks.

Clearance is 14mm according to my calculations and these sinks are 12mm. So yes it will be tighter than a waddling ducks back door, but it should fit.

eKzx2UU.jpg

They even have some high quality adhesive on them so i shouldn't need to worry about using G1 on them. Hopefully all my goodies should be here wednesday at the latest. Expect pictures.

Pure forged copper
Easy installation by using 3M™ 8815 Thermal Tape
Multipack - Ten (10) piece set

Dimensions (mm)
6.5(L) mm x6.5mm(W) x12mm(H)
Material
C1100 Forged Copper
Weight
2g (Each)
Thermal Adhesive
3M™ 8815 Thermal Tape (Datasheet)

Caporegime
OP
Mine was perfect first time, na na na :p

I got a dud overclocker though :(

:D

No it wasn't you said some of the sinks fell off!! Don't worry though, happened to me on my first install. Every time you do it you get better and better and temps drop a few c. Can't wait to get it all taken apart and see how these new sinks affect the temps. I thought i nailed the second install but i had one of the heatsinks around the wrong way. Third time i will nail it. :D

How can you tell it's a dud?

Also, Matt where did you order those heatsinks? I'm tempted to get some for my first install! :D

Will drop you a trust if i post the link here the Dons will have my guts for garters.

Soldato
Unfortunately you can only tell it's a dud by overclocking it. My advice to you would be to overclock before applying the heatsink. Just to see how much juice it needs first.

Caporegime
OP
Unfortunately you can only tell it's a dud by overclocking it. My advice to you would be to overclock before applying the heatsink. Just to see how much juice it needs first.

I could only reach 1250 on the stock cooler and that was hot and in no way stable. The accelero allowed me to reach up to 1325. 1300 stable. I wonder what my card could do in the hands of a water cooling Locky, PGI or Scotty.

We'll never know. :p

Soldato
I could only reach 1250 on the stock cooler and that was hot and in no way stable. The accelero allowed me to reach up to 1325. 1300 stable. I wonder what my card could do in the hands of a water cooling Locky, PGI or Scotty.

We'll never know. :p

What kinda volts were you using though? That's what I would determine first :)

Associate

Right, I'll have a play today. I did have a quick mess about last night and nothing I did really affected my fps in heaven 4.0? Seeing as I've got the week off I'll stop being lazy and have a good read up on overclocking and try to get my head around it once and for all.

Thanks for that Matt!

Caporegime
OP
What kinda volts were you using though? That's what I would determine first :)

I can do around 1300 @1.275v. I'm temp limited at these voltages though. My high asic card means things really get toasty once you start adding a lot of voltage. I will run some thorough tests before i fit these new sinks so we can see how much of a difference it makes.

In other news...

I don't like the colour scheme of your sig. ;)

I'm thinking if I should get one of these for my his iceq 7950. Hmm...

No shame in it. We are always looking for new recruits.

Back
Top Bottom