• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
Lol Amen Mike.

Ok stuck all the heatsinks on. That part was easier than i was expecting. The main trouble came from those little double sided adhesive things. Whoever decided to think of those deserves to be shot.

Will now leave it to set, finished just past 4pm. Will likely try and finish it off in the morning now.

If it doesn't work tomorrow, i will cry.

Just plugged my old x1650 into my pc, windows 8. Seems i can't go above res of 1280x1024 on my 1440p monitor. It hurts my eyes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It'll be fine mate. I get really worried when a PC installation of whatever sort goes a bit wrong or not to plan. Get frustrated and start hitting things (not the missus).

On the subject of missus I also had a delivery from Kevin at DPD today. Kevin arrived on time with her Xmas pressie and I am pleased to report he was clean as a whistle. :)

Yeah im sure it will, but a gpu cooler dismantle and a new gpu cooler install is a first for me.

Just hope it all works come tomorrow. :)

What did you get her? Seeing as its DPD im assuming its a computer part. I get shouted at if i spend money on a computer part for my mrs.

I just like putting new parts in to her computer. :D

EDIT

Just to clarify, when i say i put parts in, computer parts, not my (private) parts. :p

EDIT 2

Not that they'd fit, unless i went in through the drive bay of course.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks Greg.

Annnnnnnnnnd it works. Thank god!

Was a real pain in the ass though, wasn't helped by the fact i had almost no adhesive on the washers. Such a frustrating experience.

Then screwing it all together at the end was equally annoying, needed seven pairs of hands.

On to temps. Played far cry 3 as that used to get my overclock of 1125/1719 up to the 80c range on both the core and memory with a fan speed of 50%.

GPU went up to 59c at 100% fan speed which was almost silent. Kinda like a quiet case fan. Memory was at 80c.

Pretty good i think. Wish the memory was a bit lower, but farcry 3 does heat up the gpu more than most games once you used that compute HDAO.

Now for sleeping dogs, that heats it up even more.

Caporegime
OP
Sleeping dogs core 60c memory 86c.

The core is solid, 60c is the worst ill see on that.

Gonna install a silent case fan Spectre Pro to blow additional air onto the vrms to see if it can bring temps down 5c or so.

Caporegime
OP
I think i need to change my fans around. Before i had Intake at the front and on top of my 600t (200mm fans x2) and all hot air was exhausted round the back. Worked really well with the reference blower. That's not cutting it so much any more now the accelero dumps all the heat in the case.

Caporegime
OP
Changed my fans around, think this will bring the temps down.

Added two 120mm fans at the bottom of my case blowing up. Will see what difference it makes, they are silent Spectre Pro fans so noise wont be an issue. Have a feeling i wont need them though.

Caporegime
OP
Ok i took the two 120mm fans out as believe it or not they actually made temps worse. Guess it was interfering with the natural air flow or something.

Now i have 1x200mm on the front as intake. 1x200mm on the roof as an exhaust. Accelero and a H60 with a Push Pull as exhaust.

7970 @ 1.112 (stock voltage ) 1.6 Memory voltage (stock)
1125 Core
1719 Memory

Sleeping dogs, which is the game i have that heats my gpu up the most by some distance compared to my other games, even far cry.

GPU core 55c
Memory 80c.

I think ill call that a good game. :)

I will see 5-c lower in memory on farcry and 10c+ lower in other games id imagine. SSAA and HDAO heat the 7970 memory up nicely.

EDIT

Oh forgot to add as i was putting the final part together, attaching the base to the gpu i knocked one of the heatsinks off. I stuck it back on and it stuck firmly enough to stay on. Its easily done tbh.

Caporegime
OP
Mine runs at %50 constant. I cannot hear it and it remains under 65.c in any game.

They are superb coolers.

Its silent up to 60%, and even after then i can barely hear it. At 100% its like a quiet case fan running at full speed. I'm impressed.

Black ops 2 zombie mode vsync off

GPU 52c
Vram 65c

Caporegime
OP
Good stuff Matt. How bout dem VRMs?

Vrm cooling is definitely the weak point of the cooler.

My reference vrm cooling was better.

But this has superior core cooling.

I'm still experimenting whats best tbh.

There is no way i can take the card apart without starting again from scratch, at the moment im reluctant to do that as i have no adhesive for the washers or the heatsinks.

Maybe better heatsinks on the VRM's will help.

For now ive added two 120mm Spectre Pro fans as exhaust on the side of my 600t. This has brought the vrms down a bit.

If i run at stock volts 1.112, then the vrms don't go above 80. That's worst case scenario as well (sleeping dogs, SSAA) with the memory at 1719 stock volts. However any bump in core voltage seems to affect the VRM temps, whilst the core remains the same regardless.

I saw your post Petey about the extra fans you put around yours. Its a good idea, not sure how id get my fans in place like that though.

I'm very happy with it, but im not totally satisfied with the vrm cooling at overclocked volts on the core.

I'd like to keep it below 85c if possible.

Whacked the voltage up to 1.225, core at 1250. Stable as a rock, core nice and cool. VRM 100c, i backed out there. Core was around 58c.

With the two fans ive now added i expect that will come down a bit, but not enough for my liking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Slightly off topic, but it's so nice to see a thread reach page 4 with nothing but positive, helpful, friendly posts and the kind of spirit that makes this a great forum.

Back on topic, well done on getting the cooler on and in getting such great temperatures. Nicely played, sir.

Thanks Stuey.

I knew some guys here would be able to help.

Once i realised that this was an awkward install i knew id need some help. :p

Caporegime
OP
Yeah i tried the side fans as intake in the lower position, intake in the higher position. Exhaust in the lower position, then finally Exhaust in the higher position which gave the best results.

The 600t case can fit four fans on the side of 200mm. Wish it would fit 1x200mm tbh. However i only want 2x120mm on the side for now.

I saw very little difference in temps except for the Exhuast in the higher positon which knocked around 3-5c off.

However now looking at my case, the 600t just isn't the same without the see through side panel on. :D

Quite tempted to ditch the side fans, put up with higher vrm temps until i can get some better heatsinks.

Back
Top Bottom