• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970/50 Arctic Accelero Users

Caporegime
OP
96c :eek:
Even if it wasn't causing problems, my mental block wouldn't handle it :D

Still, you are at 1225...

That's why im going for a reseat and going to try those larger L shaped heatsinks.

I've pushed the vrms up to 105c before, bottled it shortly after that. Seems my card doesn't mind hot temps. It was stable at those temps but no way id run it that hot for any length of time.

Sleeping dogs is always worst case scenario, it adds 15c+ on the vrms over other games.

Caporegime
OP
The ghz edition bios is crap, all it does is give you higher temps and in my case unstable memory overclocks.

I think a refit is a good idea for you stu. Your core contact cannot be that good as your core temps are much higher than any ive seen. Good luck.

What will you be using for adhesive?

Caporegime
OP
I've started my refit.

I decided to use one of the larger heatsinks on the CHL8228 voltage regulator. I also used the larger L shaped heatsinks on the VRM's. I hope my changes will bring lower vrm temps. Just finished gluing then all on. Now begins the long wait, followed by panic and night sweats.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've started my refit.

I decided to use one of the larger heatsinks on the CHL8228 voltage regulator. I also used the larger L shaped heatsinks on the VRM's. I hope my changes will bring lower vrm temps. Just finished gluing then all on. Now begins the long wait, followed by panic and night sweats.

6 Hour cure time in a hot room. I put it together.

Apart from the fact i missed off 1 of the tall thin heatsinks (which i applied with tape before i put it together) i think i did a pretty good job. This time i coated the card in G1, especially the VRMS. Swimming in the stuff, i also put G1 on all the heatsinks and held them down for 20-30 seconds each after applying.

End result? I've shaved over 10c off the vrm temps, possibly more. Knocked a few c off the core as well, i guess they put way too much MX4 on pre applied.

Before id tpically play sleeping dogs with stock voltage and clocks of 1125/1563. I'd see core temps up to 57c and vrm temps up to 83c.

This is what i just got.

The VRM was solid at 71-72 for most of the test. Before it would rise all the way to 83c before stopping, this time it creped up slowly.

1Mdzg.jpg

Absolutely delighted with that.

Accelero users, use the large L shaped heatsinks x3 on the vrm. Use one of the chunky memory heatsinks on the CHL8228 voltage regulator, oh and cover these in G1 head to toe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Good thinking tommy.

Trying to decide if its worth taking it apart and moving the CHL8228 voltage regular around so its side on. I only have thermal tape to attach it with. Will that have any effect on the vrm temps? I thought it was linked.

Is the CHL8228 temp different from the vrm and GDDR5 temp that hwinfo shows then?

Caporegime
OP
Just went to cancel the order on my Arctic Cooler to find it has been dispatched :o

Oh well! I'll leave it on 100% fan speed and hope for the best.

Expect a trust message about your paste Taken. Lets do business.

The 'mighty' Tommy recommends you use Akasa Thermal Tape. One things for sure, it turns a 5-10 hour (minimum install) into a 30-60 (maximum) minute install. ;)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-AK

Caporegime
OP
Why do you want my thermal glue? The 10 hour cure time will be alright. Just leave it overnight and all next day at work!

If you sell me your glue ill buy you some thermal tape. The tape is quicker and easier to use, plus the heatsinks have no chance of falling off. I'm sure tommy can confirm this. However im a strange fellow and use the glue, however i need a bit more but can't find any to buy. The only place you can get it is from new Accelero customers, or old ones who didn't use it.

Sadly arctic stopped producing it because it had bad feedback from the community saying that it doesn't stick and provides poor thermal adhesive qualities. I asked Arctic themselves, G1 is no more Taken. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It might, but then again, the tape may negate the effect, if temps are ok, then just leave it be, but I understand the willingness to find out as it gets like an irritating itch.:D

I don't know which one is which(vrm 1, vrm 2 in hwinfo.

Yes, the itch is exactly what i get. Its just like having crabs all over again.

If i can get my hands on some more G1 then i think ill have to take it apart and refit it. However i only need to do two of the heatsinks so it won't be a big job. It might only be a few c, but it all adds up. Its actually quite enjoyable all the tweaking, fiddling and building. :D I hated installing this thing first go, but now its almost like artwork. (especially using the notoriously fiddly G1)

Just need to convince Taken that Akasa tape is the way forward for him. :p

Caporegime
OP
I found a datasheet for the 7970 Voltage Regulator CHL8228, is that the same thing as the vrms or is that separate? :confused: Because the temp range on this says "+3.3V supply voltage; 0ºC to 85ºC ambient operation". Mind you, that says ambient operation. I get the feeling no one will know the answer to this question.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/pb-chl8225.pdf

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
May be worth seeing if you can get some Alpenfohn thermal glue. Ask them nicely and you never know. Pre-mixed and cures fairly quickly.

But its permanent, i want to keep my warranty in tact should the poop hit the fan. Its either G1 or tape, but seeing as i have it all covered in G1, id rather do the last two heatsinks that way as well.

Caporegime
OP
It's not permanent dude.
I'm aware of the of the one guy that bricked his 7970 when trying to remove the glue and then being told by Alpenfohn that it isn't supposed to be removed. But having used and removed the stuff myself, I can only assume that they've either since changed the formula or the guy tried to rip off the sinks like an angry ape (since he actually broke off one of the VRMs) and Alpenfohn covered their own arses in a pretty poor manner.

Like I said before, it dries like rubber sealant, not cement :)

So a bit of gentle twisting and it comes off like G1?

That's a shame they have stopped doing it.

Also you might want to amend those links in your post. ;):D

Family safe this time. :p

Back
Top Bottom