• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 Vs 770 - Stock & OC Gaming Benchmarks

Associate
I would say it's plenty fast enough already, there are plenty of HD 7970s below whyscotty's lone GTX 770.

You have a HD 7970 and a better CPU than me for benching single cards, can you beat whyscotty's score.:D

I consider whyscotty's card an anomaly, a freak of nature :p I doubt I can beat it since I probs need at least 1300mhz on the core which I don't yet know possible since my card won't arrive till tomorrow. At any rate I'm thinking of swapping it for a 770 anyways cos I play Borderlands 2. I know its a fast card but it would have been nice if it was an obvious choice to the 7970 like how a 7870 is obviously faster than a 7850.

Caporegime
OP
Not bad considering it favours you side slightly

103% power target you numpty :p

Yeah fair play. Still a cracking card you have there mate. I wonder if your boy realises that you abuse it when hes not around Lol.

I consider whyscotty's card an anomaly, a freak of nature :p I doubt I can beat it since I probs need at least 1300mhz on the core which I don't yet know possible since my card won't arrive till tomorrow. At any rate I'm thinking of swapping it for a 770 anyways cos I play Borderlands 2. I know its a fast card but it would have been nice if it was an obvious choice to the 7970 like how a 7870 is obviously faster than a 7850.

Scotty has a golden one for sure. I doubt you'd catch it on the Valley/Heaven benchmarks but i bet you'd be more than a match for it in games though.

Soldato
Yeah fair play. Still a cracking card you have there mate. I wonder if your boy realises that you abuse it when hes not around Lol.

Scotty has a golden one for sure. I doubt you'd catch it on the Valley/Heaven benchmarks but i bet you'd be more than a match for it in games though.

What he doesn't know won't hurt him :D

Caporegime
OP
It's a miracle it survived as long as it did after all those suicide runs to artifact city :p

Oh, and 1250/1900. Almost, dammit...

:D

To be fair my card could run 1300 without artifacts so 1250/1823 was a breeze, if i could keep it cool enough.

Look at you with 1250 core, i thought you were limited to 1200/1800? Still impressive though you were still a good few fps faster than a golden 770 at 1200/1800.

Soldato
lol, I can run 1250/1900 24/7, I just stick with 1200/1800 as there isn't much of an advantage and I guess it might help the card live longer.
1300+ for benching does get a bit sparkly though :/

Soldato
No idea what my card can run 24/7, probably 1250/1800 as i have more than adequate cooling for 1.3v+ constantly. On certain benches i can run 1300/1800 without artifacts (3D11 being the only one :D) others i get artifacts so turn the clock down as i'm not a fan of benching a disco.

All i really want is either getting a pot for my 5850 or a waterblock and having a chiller give it 4c water :D Pretty sure i can get into the top 5 worldwide with better cooling, got 1.5v to play with :)

Caporegime
OP
lol, I can run 1250/1900 24/7, I just stick with 1200/1800 as there isn't much of an advantage and I guess it might help the card live longer.
1300+ for benching does get a bit sparkly though :/

Furry muff. Crank it up to 1300 and beat my score, come on. Probably the only difference between our scores now is my i7 @5ghz with HT vs your i5.

Soldato
40 MHz wouldn't have made much difference anyway. A FPS or two if you're lucky.

What is interesting for me is that the talk of a 7970 OC being close to a 780 was just completely false and that the 770 OC and 7979 OC trade blows with neither clearly winning.

LOL you obviously didn't read the charts because a HD 7970 OC is matching a GTX780 at most playable settings. Even though the GTX 770 OC loses more often than not against a HD 7970 OC it is so close as to be irrelevant in most games. The only time a GTX780 pulls significantly ahead against GTX770 OC and HD 7970 OC is when the settings are almost unplayable with FPS dropping into the 20s. Shogun is showing a massive GTX780 advantage, other than that it is not significantly faster than an OC GTX770 or HD 7970 OC.

Before anyone chimes in with an "But the GTX780 will OC as well" I am specifically referring to this statement. "talk of a 7970 OC being close to a 780 was just completely false"

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL you obviously didn't read the charts because a HD 7970 OC is matching a GTX780 at most playable settings. Even though the GTX 770 OC loses more often than not against a HD 7970 OC it is so close as to be irrelevant in most games. The only time a GTX780 pulls significantly ahead against GTX770 OC and HD 7970 OC is when the settings are almost unplayable with FPS dropping into the 20s.

No I don't think you read the charts properly. The 780 OC is a good margin ahead in all charts. And so it should be being a mini Titan :).

I was obviously talking about a like for like comparison as I don't see the point of comparing one card overclocked to another at stock other than for a point of reference.

For clarity I was on about 780 OC all along.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
LOL you obviously didn't read the charts because a HD 7970 OC is matching a GTX780 at most playable settings. Even though the GTX 770 OC loses more often than not against a HD 7970 OC it is so close as to be irrelevant in most games. The only time a GTX780 pulls significantly ahead against GTX770 OC and HD 7970 OC is when the settings are almost unplayable with FPS dropping into the 20s. Shogun is showing a massive GTX780 advantage, other than that it is not significantly faster than an OC GTX770 or HD 7970 OC.

Before anyone chimes in with an "But the GTX780 will OC as well" I am specifically referring to this statement. "talk of a 7970 OC being close to a 780 was just completely false"

The 7970ghz clocked at 1200 or higher is still a serious force to be reckoned with.

No I don't think you read the charts properly. The 780 OC is a good margin ahead in all charts. And so it should be being a mini Titan :).

Yes i think he was talking about clocked 7970 being equal to stock 780 £299 vs £550.

I was obviously talking about a like for like comparison as I don't see the point of comparing one card overclocked to another at stock other than for a point of reference.

I think its worth comparing when there is over £200 difference between the cards. :)

Lol with the way you speak to people im amazed you don't end up with more black eyes. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes i think he was talking about clocked 7970 being equal to stock 780 £299 vs £550.

Yes but then you can overclock the 780 and the difference is large. Whether it's worth the difference is another matter.

I don't know what he was talking about to be honest :D.

I don't really see the point of overclocked vs not overclocked comparisons. It's like racing a Ferrari limited to 2nd gear and it being matched by a Suzuki Ibiza with all gears enabled and then saying, "yeah but the Suzuki matched the Ferrari in these conditions". :D

Extreme example but the point holds true.

I think its worth comparing when there is over £200 difference between the cards. :)

Lol with the way you speak to people im amazed you don't end up with more black eyes. :p

It's disingenuous as explained above.

Well I did make that comment on page 1 and he's obviously misinterpreted it so back in the box is a fairly soft response :D.

Caporegime
OP
Yes but then you can overclock the 780 and the difference is large. Whether it's worth the difference is another matter.

I don't know what he was talking about to be honest :D.

I don't really see the point of overclocked vs not overclocked comparisons. It's like racing a Ferrari limited to 2nd gear and it being matched by a Suzuki Ibiza with all gears enabled and then saying, "yeah but the Suzuki matched the Ferrari in these conditions". :D

Extreme example but the point holds true.

The point is quite simple, so ill explain it to you. Its worth comparing when the card you're comparing to is almost double the price. Its interesting then when you can match something costing almost double the price with something costing considerably less. For the majority of people this is definitely worth comparing.

Soldato
The point is quite simple, so ill explain it to you. Its worth comparing when the card you're comparing to is almost double the price. Its interesting then when you can match something costing almost double the price with something costing considerably less. For the majority of people this is definitely worth comparing.

But then you can overclock the 780 as well so it is completely pointless. You can explain all you like but it doesn't make it any less stupid :D.

You're assuming that somebody buying is going to overclock the 7970 but not the 780. Either compare them at stock or compare them while overclocked. The difference in performance might be worth it while overclocked and if somebody is going to buy a card and is interested in 7970 OC performance then they're just as likely going to be interested in 780 OC performance.

Soldato

Back in your box :D :D.

No you weren't obviously referring to any such comparison or you would have specified so. I refuse to believe you would be so stupid to leave that point out. You did not specify OC vs OC and all the previous "talk" referring to this comparison, was indeed in reference to how a GTX680/GTX770, or HD 7970 would reach stock GTX780 speeds with a decent OC.

You say one thing, get called out and then move the goalposts to "prove" you were right all along. It's amazing to watch a typical zealot squirm when called out. :rolleyes:

Soldato
No you weren't obviously referring to any such comparison or you would have specified so. I refuse to believe you would be so stupid to leave that point out. You did not specify OC vs OC and all the previous "talk" referring to this comparison, was indeed in reference to how a GTX680/GTX770, or HD 7970 would reach stock GTX780 speeds with a decent OC.

You say one thing, get called out and then move the goalposts to "prove" you were right all along. It's amazing to watch a typical zealot squirm when called out. :rolleyes:

It was obvious actually hence only you quoting that post and misinterpreting it. I didn't specify it because it was obvious. I can't help with your lack of comprehension skills. The "previous talk" was based on loose forum comments here and there where people were saying that a 7970 OC could catch an overclocked 780. I think you're referring to something different to me. If I had meant a stock 780 I'd have no reason to deny it so I think you've lost your head.

** comment removed *** I've got CF 7950s and was very happy with them, and before then I had SLI 680s which I was also happy with. Both had quirks as well. If that's a zealot then I guess we all are. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
But then you can overclock the 780 as well so it is completely pointless. You can explain all you like but it doesn't make it any less stupid :D.

You're assuming that somebody buying is going to overclock the 7970 but not the 780. Either compare them at stock or compare them while overclocked. The difference in performance might be worth it while overclocked and if somebody is going to buy a card and is interested in 7970 OC performance then they're just as likely going to be interested in 780 OC performance.

The point is you can match the performance of a card costing £550 with a card costing £299, assuming you keep the free games. Of course you can overclock the 780, but the point still remains. If the difference in price between the cards was much smaller, it wouldn't be worth mentioning, but thats not the case. To be able to match stock performance of a card costing £550 or more with a card costing £299 or more is amazing in my opinion. What other cards can you do that with where there is that much difference between the price?

Back
Top Bottom