• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8700K OcUK Stock and Binned Processors

Soldato
I've not OC it don't see the point ! it already flys super fast ! I Render 4k Files files and use Photoshop all the time and its just way a head of what my i5 2500k would do.

If you're not going to overclock then what's the point of paying the premium for a z370 board & an 8700k? You'd be much better off getting a 8700 & a lower end board and save up the cash for your next upgrade.

Also, overclocking it doesn't make it run at 5G all the time either, it only runs at 5G underload. i.e. when your system needs the extra juice essentially.

Associate
I pre-ordered mine on the first day they listed the CPU on the site and paid £299.99 (before tax). They said I'll get it sometime in November but I received it a week later on the 8th October. So I guess I'm one of the the lucky ones. Oh and btw its the fastest CPU ive ever owned! OCs to 5200MHz @ Adaptive vcore 1.350v LL6 (-1 AVX) cooled by the Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Paste.

I bought the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Intel Z370 too.

Idle temps 25c (18c ambient) ive seen it idle as low as 16c when ive got my window open on cold nights.
Max Stress 70c-80c.
Gaming 40-55.

It will do 5300MHz @ 1.40v but the temps get too high.

I'm gonna de-lid it and that should keep the temps in check @ 5300MHz.

It's stunning to see a 6 core run at such high frequencies and remain stable and it runs a lot cooler than my kaby lake did! Its an incredible CPU. I've benched it and compared it to the Ryzen 7 1800X and beats it on single and multithreading with ease. I think its the sheer speed of the CPU that gives it the upper hand on multitasking with the 2 less cores.

My RAM OCs higher on the Asus board as well compared to my Gigabyte Z170. Its Kingston HyperX Fury 2666 stock. Got it running at 3400MHz CAS16 rock solid stable couldnt believe it. I could only get it to 3200MHz on my Z170, got an extra 200MHz out of my RAM that I carried over from my previous rig. The Asus board must have better power delivery and the Z370 must be playing apart too.

Associate
If you're not going to overclock then what's the point of paying the premium for a z370 board & an 8700k? You'd be much better off getting a 8700 & a lower end board and save up the cash for your next upgrade.

Also, overclocking it doesn't make it run at 5G all the time either, it only runs at 5G underload. i.e. when your system needs the extra juice essentially.

My understanding is i7 8700k Runs faster than 8700 plus & if I do decide to OC later I can :) I'm pretty sure you only gain 5 FPS max going from 4.7 ghz to 5Ghz so thats why I don't understand why people pay £200 extra over the RRP for such a tiny gain in gaming.

The same can be said for memory at the moment! its been proven that 3200 MHz is the sweet spot and that going up to 4000 doesn't really give you any advantages in gaming , again people wasting money , if there is any gain its like 1 or 2 FPS MAX! lol

Last edited:
Soldato
was looking at the 8700k bundles the last few on OC just noticed the prices have shot up in the last week or two? Is this because of black friday? are we putting prices up the then have a "sale" for black friday? was very surprised by this price hike i saw of 879 -> 939 or am I missing something?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/defc...00k-4.80ghz-overclocked-bundle-bu-0a8-og.html

I'd hazard a guess that it's a mixture of demand and what you said. Technically it's a sale...

Associate
My point is it will cost you £400 + more for a 4000 MHZ Ram and 5 + GHZ CPU for only 10 FPS Gain in gaming :) that is my logic there is no point when its such a little gain. If your rending 4k or 8k video then obviously it makes sense to get the best.

Soldato
My understanding is i7 8700k Runs faster than 8700 plus & if I do decide to OC later I can :) I'm pretty sure you only gain 5 FPS max going from 4.7 ghz to 5Ghz so thats why I don't understand why people pay £200 extra over the RRP for such a tiny gain in gaming.

The same can be said for memory at the moment! its been proven that 3200 MHz is the sweet spot and that going up to 4000 doesn't really give you any advantages in gaming , again people wasting money , if there is any gain its like 1 or 2 FPS MAX! lol

Your logic doesn't make any sense.

So you agree, paying £200 extra for a few fps is illogical. Then why are you paying the extra to go for 8700k & z370, only to overclock it a few years later? It's like paying £200 extra so that you can get another few fps a 3 years time, when you most likely can save up that cash and fund a new platform and have much better gain.

Further. You've already paid the premium to get the 8700k & z370 over the 8700, why not overclock it now? Not overclocking it now does not lengthen the lifespan of a CPU significantly (as long as the OC is not extreme).

But again, feel free to not use the performance already existed in the CPU itself, nobody can stop you.

Associate
Yours shipping today complete now Real Bench stability run 8 hours as well as usual testing.

Plug AIO pump into Fancha1 header which is just south of the CPU socket please. This is configured in the Bios for this purpose.

Is there a particular reason for this? I always assumed it would go to cpu fan header.
I am in the middle of putting my bundle together and have loaded up the overclock profile i am seeing a cpu temp of 41 c in bios with pump running at just over 1400 and have connected radiator fans to cpu fan header just wondering if this is ok?

OcUK Staff
8700K OEM is now in stock at £369 Inc. VAT :)

8700K Retails are landing tomorrow also.

Still plenty of 8600K OEM in stock and more 8600K retail also landing tomorrow. :)

Soldato
Is there a particular reason for this? I always assumed it would go to cpu fan header.
I am in the middle of putting my bundle together and have loaded up the overclock profile i am seeing a cpu temp of 41 c in bios with pump running at just over 1400 and have connected radiator fans to cpu fan header just wondering if this is ok?

Run some CPU benchmarks like Cinebench R15 (fast, mirrors the sort of temps you'll see in games) and Realbench (slightly hotter) and check temps then. The temp in BIOS is nowhere near max temp when stressed, although it'll be higher than when idling on desktop. 41C sounds perfectly fine for in-BIOS temp. HWiNFO64 is very decent monitoring software.

Back
Top Bottom