8Pack Binned 5ghz+ Delidded 7700K CPU's for sale at OCUK

Associate
They would be re-tested to the point that they still get the 5GHz clock as 8-Pack stated but the temp is still not relevant for their sales point in that they do not state anything about it.

And yeah it may seem that it is a politician answer but it is exactly what is being sold and thus deciding that just because you want it to be lower temp wise doesn't make it so :/

What is being sold is a binned CPU, capable of 5Ghz, and has been de-lidded in order to replace Intel's TIM with liquid metal. If the de-lid process is done properly (and anyone buying one of these CPUs would reasonably expect the job to have been done properly), then the expected load temperature with a good quality cooler would unlikely to be over 80C. OK there's no guarantee of what temperature each CPU might run at, but it appears that one customer achieved ~20C reduction by "tidying up" the de-lid process that had already been carried out. If the customer thought "that temperature seems a bit high, might be a dodgy de-lid", then a simple test would have shown the same issue before the CPU was sold.

I assume that there's added cost in carrying out the de-lid operation, so it's reasonable to expect that the process will be carried out correctly in order for the CPU to run at a significantly lower temperature than if it hadn't been de-lidded.

Soldato
What is being sold is a binned CPU, capable of 5Ghz, and has been de-lidded in order to replace Intel's TIM with liquid metal. If the de-lid process is done properly (and anyone buying one of these CPUs would reasonably expect the job to have been done properly), then the expected load temperature with a good quality cooler would unlikely to be over 80C. OK there's no guarantee of what temperature each CPU might run at, but it appears that one customer achieved ~20C reduction by "tidying up" the de-lid process that had already been carried out. If the customer thought "that temperature seems a bit high, might be a dodgy de-lid", then a simple test would have shown the same issue before the CPU was sold.

I assume that there's added cost in carrying out the de-lid operation, so it's reasonable to expect that the process will be carried out correctly in order for the CPU to run at a significantly lower temperature than if it hadn't been de-lidded.

Look what you are saying is correct in what we as a consumer would expect. What cannot be stated is technically then the de-lid was complete and it was still stable at the 5GHz and therefore regardless of anything else it works as intended under their description.

That is all.

Associate
Look what you are saying is correct in what we as a consumer would expect. What cannot be stated is technically then the de-lid was complete and it was still stable at the 5GHz and therefore regardless of anything else it works as intended under their description.

That is all.

By failing to test temperature before/after a de-lid, it's not possible to tell if you`ve carried out the de-lid properly. If I were de-lidding my own CPU, I'd take a temperature readings in order to know that I'd applied the new TIM correctly, and that the lid is making proper contact with the die. The extra effort and time to do that as part of the process is minimal. In fact, if you are overclocking the CPU, monitoring temperature is usually something that you do. Well I do anyway.

Saying "I`ve done what I said, I've de-lidded the CPU and applied new TIM" is all well and good, but the idea is to do it properly to obtain lower temperatures. If you aren't going to bother to see if the load temperature is reduced, how will you know if you`ve done the job properly, and what's the point in de-lidding in the first place ?

Soldato
By failing to test temperature before/after a de-lid, it's not possible to tell if you`ve carried out the de-lid properly. If I were de-lidding my own CPU, I'd take a temperature readings in order to know that I'd applied the new TIM correctly, and that the lid is making proper contact with the die. The extra effort and time to do that as part of the process is minimal. In fact, if you are overclocking the CPU, monitoring temperature is usually something that you do. Well I do anyway.

Saying "I`ve done what I said, I've de-lidded the CPU and applied new TIM" is all well and good, but the idea is to do it properly to obtain lower temperatures. If you aren't going to bother to see if the load temperature is reduced, how will you know if you`ve done the job properly, and what's the point in de-lidding in the first place ?

Honestly I get what you are saying. With what happened and how it turned up I would actually suspect in this case though that it didn't ever get de-lidded and come from the wrong pile whilst packing thus it had been tested for the 5.0GHz overclock and then was meant to go and be delidded.

However whoever picked it up to package thought it had been done already and sent it out. That would explain why the black adhesive was as such and why the temp dropped by the full 20 degree you would expect from the TIM change in question.

If it had dropped less than that then I would say it was not applied properly but I don't see that being the case here.

Soldato
These things happen - on the plus side, atleast I've done my own now.

Just had to make you guys aware to avoid others disappointment :)

Re-reading this and then going with what I posted above and with 8-Pack confirming that de-lid happens after he has binned them then I would say your chip got dropped into the wrong pile and was never actually de-lidded.

That would explain the mess and the temp with the drop you got upon doing it yourself.

Associate
Honestly I get what you are saying. With what happened and how it turned up I would actually suspect in this case though that it didn't ever get de-lidded and come from the wrong pile whilst packing thus it had been tested for the 5.0GHz overclock and then was meant to go and be delidded.

However whoever picked it up to package thought it had been done already and sent it out. That would explain why the black adhesive was as such and why the temp dropped by the full 20 degree you would expect from the TIM change in question.

If it had dropped less than that then I would say it was not applied properly but I don't see that being the case here.

Fair enough.

Although you suspect that it never got de-lidded, so why was the adhesive in a mess ? Maybe the person who received that CPU can state if the TIM that was on the CPU die was liquid metal when the lid was removed.

Anyway, this isn't a criminal enquiry ! OCUK should be testing temps before and after de-lidding as a QC measure. If CPUs are not being sorted or labelled properly, that's another problem that is easily to solve. Binned and de-lidded CPUs should be placed in a container with the binned speed and something like "DL" written on the outside.

Soldato
Fair enough.

Although you suspect that it never got de-lidded, so why was the adhesive in a mess ? Maybe the person who received that CPU can state if the TIM that was on the CPU die was liquid metal when the lid was removed.

Anyway, this isn't a criminal enquiry ! OCUK should be testing temps before and after de-lidding as a QC measure. If CPUs are not being sorted or labelled properly, that's another problem that is easily to solve. Binned and de-lidded CPUs should be placed in a container with the binned speed and something like "DL" written on the outside.

Surely the adhesive would have been a mess for the poster to have removed the lid themselves? But yes I assume there would be a visual obvious difference between Intels TIM and the Liquid Metal.

And yeah, I think someone just had a bad day and got it wrong that is all.

Soldato
So far zero RMA on these chips and many sold. All doing 5ghz no problem.....

Yep we know that, the person who had the high temps as you saw just de-lidded it themselves to sort it. I am suggesting the reason for the high temps etc is that one your pickers just accidentally picked up a binned but not de-lidded CPU and thus packed it with the liquid metal etc as they do with the others?

I am all good with what you are doing and how well they appear to run myself. Just an observation of why this one case may have experienced much higher temps to, well, everyone else that has had one from you guys.

:)

Associate
I am suggesting the reason for the high temps etc is that one your pickers just accidentally picked up a binned but not de-lidded CPU and thus packed it with the liquid metal etc as they do with the others?

It seemed (and this is a guess as to the cause) that either intel's old glue hadn't been removed properly, or too much was reapplied - it was quite messy.

I reapplied my own Liquid Metal Ultra, relidded and have just tested.

Results:

OcUK delid: 81-85 on XTU stress @ 5Ghz 1.35 vcore

My delid: 59-61 on XTU stress @ 5Ghz 1.35 vcore.

Describing it as "messy" suggests that it had previously been de-lidded, unless the glue looks "messy" the first time the lid is removed.

OcUK Staff
OP
Describing it as "messy" suggests that it had previously been de-lidded, unless the glue looks "messy" the first time the lid is removed.

Dervious your using i5 2500K this is elite tier hardware discussion.

It can look messy yes. Depends how clean the lid was removed by the customer. I checked a random samples and all delids fine. It's possible one was placed in incorrect pile yes in the warehouse. We had one where the lid had not been replaced too.

All are running fine Detvious really no need to concern yourself with other customers products thanks :)

OcUK Staff
OP

Dervious your using i5 2500K this is elite tier hardware discussion :)

It can look messy yes. Depends how clean the lid was removed by the customer. I checked a random samples and all delids fine. It's possible one was placed in incorrect pile yes in the warehouse. We had one where the lid had not been replaced too.

All are running fine Detvious really no need to concern yourself with other customers products thanks :)

Associate

Good to hear this is an isolated incident.

I see lots of people posting comments about other customer's products. Isn't that the idea of having a forum such as this ?

Associate
Well I looked at my account this morning, notice I had built up a little excess surplus. I broke down, I've bought. Its being delivered tomorrow =0)

Associate
8pack elite bundle

The binning was done before delid. All chips binned by me. Then technical team delided the CPU's and re-glued. I tested 5 at random after this.

All where completely fine as far as delid quality goes and running 5g at 1.35v or less.

Remember some chips are higher leakage.

I did a test today showing before and after delid temps on the same chip which I completed myself. Will post the results tomorrow as I left SSD at work.

Hi Ian I received my 8pack elite bundle yesterday with i7 7700k at 5ghz and the Asus Hero mb and 16GB team group 3200mhz ram. Just wondering should the mb still be running the bios which hasn't been updated and should my I7 vcore be set at 1.36v?

I'm just wanting a peace of mind that my bundle has been processed correctly?

Cheers

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Ofcourse!!!!! its fine!!

BIOS UPDATES mean nothing. I am getting kinda sick of saying this BIOS only ever needs updating if something is not working. Updating a bios is not an upgrade or an improvement it can be a negative in an already stable working well system.

Back
Top Bottom