• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Associate
How do people run 5 GHz AVX Prime95? HWInfo shows me almost 300 W power consumption when I try that... Failure is inevitable.

I got a 5.1 binned. I run it at 5ghz, 1.35v, avx offset 0. tested overnight prime95 latest version. Works fine for me. Also running full small FFT for maximum heat output I max out at 82 degrees on air (case open), and in place large FFT maxed out 70 degrees (NHD15 Silent profile) with 160-200w in CPUID (I run and test with AVX because its 2017 and I don't see the purpose of dumbing down a 600£ CPU. Like when people disabled Hyper-threading on I7s ages ago to achieve better OC temps).

Last edited:
Associate
@8 Pack: Prime and Cinebench behave as expected. AVX offset with AVX Prime, normal clocks with everything else. It is games that get AVX clocks.

I also use an NHD15 and seem to get much higher temperatures. Maybe I should reseat it to make sure the thermal paste got applied correctly.

Soldato
No game I ever tested caused the CPU frequency to dip under AVX load even when the platform has AVX offset set. So I am pretty sure games don't have AVX. Try Prime V 26.6 vs AVX version 27.x 28.x see what happens.

26.6 does the same for me. Avx loads also does the same. It seems anything that loads more than 2 cores causing it to fall back to the avx offset.

Associate
I just set HWInfo to sample 10 times a second and noticed Cinebench dip to AVX Offset once during a run. It was only for a short moment and not enough to affect scores, but it happened. Then I launched BF4 and basically got stuck on AVX clocks.

Soldato
I just set HWInfo to sample 10 times a second and noticed Cinebench dip to AVX Offset once during a run. It was only for a short moment and not enough to affect scores, but it happened. Then I launched BF4 and basically got stuck on AVX clocks.

Yeah I don't believe this is a setup issue, seems like a bios problem

Associate
I also use an NHD15 and seem to get much higher temperatures. Maybe I should reseat it to make sure the thermal paste got applied correctly.

I have SA and Io at 1.05 and running a gigabyte gaming 7 (that seems to vdroop a bit, from 1.37 to lowest 1.29) if that helps

EDIT: vdroop are actually around 0.02 or maybe 0.03. there was a conflict running cpuz and hw monitor simultaneously, was also reading VID voltages from hw monitor and not VCore (vcore monitor sometimes disappear if cpuz and HWMonitor run simultaneously and conflict)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, I need 1.2 IO and 1.23 SA for my RAM to run at 4133. Maybe not ideal circumstances for 5GHz AVX Prime. At least I got rid of the heat spreader on my RAM so I can use both fans now.

Soldato
Yeah, I need 1.2 IO and 1.23 SA for my RAM to run at 4133. Maybe not ideal circumstances for 5GHz AVX Prime. At least I got rid of the heat spreader on my RAM so I can use both fans now.

What latency is that at? So far I've found 3600-3866 has had best latency. 4000+ and it goes out of the window.

Associate
17-17-17-37. Might also do 17-16-16. 4266 needs at least 19-18-18. At 3866 I could do 16-16-16, maybe 16-15-15 would work there as well.

Associate
CPU runs AVX clocks if AVX offset is set, despite no AVX instructions being used to our knowledge. Seems to happen happen a lot in games.

Associate
Also having the issue with AVX offset issue with binned 5.2ghz 8700k & MAXIMUS X HERO

Xmp
Avx offset 3
All core ratio 52
Digi power llc level 6, could current cap 140%
Cache ratio min 44
Cache ratio max 44

Core voltage 1.4
Dram voltage 1.4
Vccio 1.1
Vccsa1.1
Cpu standby volts 1.1

Associate
I think I figured out why me temperatures seem so bad. The heat spreader seems lose at one side which probably screws up the contact to the die. Not sure whether I should return it, it seems stable at the 5.1 GHz in non-AVX Prime, just running much hotter than it could. And I kind of need a CPU.

Soldato
How are your guys temps when the frequency throttling occurs in games? Is it only hitting the target AVX offset?

I think I figured out why me temperatures seem so bad. The heat spreader seems lose at one side which probably screws up the contact to the die. Not sure whether I should return it, it seems stable at the 5.1 GHz in non-AVX Prime, just running much hotter than it could. And I kind of need a CPU.

When clamped and braced down by the socket bracket that shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom