• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Soldato
Ok everything seems stable but I'm not sure what I'm getting is right, used to looking at my 5930k for so long. Can some-one go through some settings for my gaming 7.

Should I use Speed step and hyper threading?
Using 1.350v ok but prime95 isn't moving on all workers, 48c top core.
Set to Turbo on LLC.
Volts don't ever drop even though the core speed does.
What else can I test stability with for 15/20 mins while I switch between settings?

Thanks guys X

Last edited:
Associate
Ok everything seems stable but I'm not sure what I'm getting is right, used to looking at my 5930k for so long. Can some-one go through some settings for my gaming 7.

Should I use Speed step and hyper threading?
Using 1.350v ok but prime95 isn't moving on all workers, 48c top core.
Set to Turbo on LLC.
Volts don't ever drop even though the core speed does.
What else can I test stability with for 15/20 mins while I which between settings?

Thanks guys X

https://youtu.be/mcZkEZ8x3oA

:)

Associate
  1. Set AVX -3
  2. Play PUBG
  3. Observe fluctuation between 5ghz and 4.7ghz. Average frequency according to HWInfo ~4.75ghz
  4. Set AVX -0
  5. Play PUBG.
  6. Observe stable 5ghz. Average frequency according to HWInfo ~4.99ghz
Reproducible on:
  • i7-8700K @ 5Ghz/1.31V
  • Asus Maximus X Hero
  • G.Skill RGB 3200Mhz CL14

Soldato
I've not built my 8700k system yet and it's still in the ocuk box, but can I ask why the offset is needed? If the CPU maintains its overclock with it disabled I'm struggling to understand why this is important.

Just for clarity, I'm not trolling anyone here and this question is just because of my own ignorance but I'm always hungry to learn more

Due to the high current demand (AVX). The offset is needed if pushing the CPU frequency beyond what is possible under heavy workloads that use those instructions.

Soldato
  1. Set AVX -3
  2. Play PUBG
  3. Observe fluctuation between 5ghz and 4.7ghz. Average frequency according to HWInfo ~4.75ghz
  4. Set AVX -0
  5. Play PUBG.
Reproducible on:
  • i7-8700K @ 5Ghz/1.31V
  • Asus Maximus X Hero

Thinking this might be something in ucode that needs rectifying, going to try it for myself tomorrow.

Associate
Due to the high current demand (AVX). The offset is needed if pushing the CPU frequency beyond what is possible under heavy workloads that use those instructions.

Thank you for explaining that clearly. I thought the avx offset was supposed to reduce the speed by the amount of the offset (e.g. avx -3 would reduce a 50 multiplier to 47) so that is what it seems to be doing. So is the issue here that the tasks that people are running aren't avx and the offset is kicking in anyway?

Apologies if that is a bit of a daft question

Soldato
Thank you for explaining that clearly. I thought the avx offset was supposed to reduce the speed by the amount of the offset (e.g. avx -3 would reduce a 50 multiplier to 47) so that is what it seems to be doing. So is the issue here that the tasks that people are running aren't avx and the offset is kicking in anyway?

Apologies if that is a bit of a daft question

Yes, or at least that's what appears to be happening.

Soldato
  1. Set AVX -3
  2. Play PUBG
  4. Set AVX -0
  5. Play PUBG.
Reproducible on:
  • i7-8700K @ 5Ghz/1.31V
  • Asus Maximus X Hero

Yep, can confirm the same happens to me also.
Same cpu/mobo

Associate
Yes, or at least that's what appears to be happening.

Thank you for explaining that so patiently. I've now re-read everything and it would seem as if the MB is misinterpreting something when these tasks are being run (or the tasks do include avx instructions and people don't realise?) - hopefully a quick bios update can fix this, but i'm wondering if I should leave all of my parts in the box (i've not even opened them or eaten the Haribo yet!) to see if this can be fixed or whether it needs to go back.

Soldato
Thank you for explaining that so patiently. I've now re-read everything and it would seem as if the MB is misinterpreting something when these tasks are being run (or the tasks do include avx instructions and people don't realise?) - hopefully a quick bios update can fix this, but i'm wondering if I should leave all of my parts in the box (i've not even opened them or eaten the Haribo yet!) to see if this can be fixed or whether it needs to go back.

If you don't intend on running AVX workloads, then it's not necessarily needed to have an offset. A few games do use the instruction sets, but you can count them on one hand. The ones listed in this thread as inducing the offset do not use AVX.

If it's a ucode update that's needed then it's on Intel's side and will be in a revised BIOS. Not personally saying for definite that's what it is as I've not put mine on the bench yet, but it sounds as though that might be the case.

As for thinking about returning the parts, I wouldn't let any of this phase you from setting up and installing now. New platforms have new problems, that's just how things are.

Associate

I doubt I would have the patience to let the Haribos sit in the box untouched. heck, I just opened a new in box IBM model M untouched in box for 28 years as soon as I received it.

Don't worry about sending it back. It isn't broken. for now just run with offset auto or zero and test temps.

Soldato
If some-one has a Gaming 7 and 8700k setup could you please bench Prime95 in blend. I can run small FFT's (lots of heat) no problem but in blend or large FFT's none of the workers move past Test 1....ever. This is at stock and O/C'd. Thinking is a prime95 issue.

Soldato
So my findings with a binned 5gh chip -

Loaded up 1.350v and a few other settings and boom straight in, stable in gaming and benching, I can't believe how cool this thing runs under a 280mm AIO, 15/20c cooler than my [email protected] (not delidded). I'm able to get 5.2g @ 1.450v but things start getting a little hot for my liking - tested with 10 loops of Cinebench, Prime95 Small FFT's for 10mins and 15 mins BF1 max temp core 91c, so that's a no no really. However I ran it just so I could top the boards in our Firestrike single GPU scores :cool: beating Kaapstad for once.

Comparing my [email protected] with my old [email protected] I ran a few more tests:-

In PUBG I'm seeing nice gains, before I upgraded my chip I use the most intensive part which I believe is the spawning lobby (with the crashed plane), here standing on the rear tail looking backward towards the crowd with roughly 50/60 people running around with guns and smoke I benched 3X from a 30 seconds countdown giving it time for everything and everyone to load ingame. Here are some of the lowest average fps I witness playing PUGB 1440p 21:9 Ultra settings. I stand in the same spot each time facing the same direction.

My [email protected] saw an average of 54/52/53fps
My [email protected] saw this increase to 63/66/62fps
So gaining over 10FPS on average at the bottom end of PUBG performance - 22% increase

Who said 1440p is bottlenecked by GPU?

Firestrike scores:
[email protected] - 23940
[email protected] - 26033

I'll continue testing some other titles, other than prime95 blend not benching for some reason, really enjoy my new chip, and the gaming 7 looks so pretty.

7skck4p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom