• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8Packs no BS testing Intel 8700K and Z370 with Delid 5ghz and above available from OCUK.

Associate
CPU runs AVX clocks if AVX offset is set, despite no AVX instructions being used to our knowledge. Seems to happen happen a lot in games.

Hello. Hi,

I introduce myself, I'm new here.
I registered because I bought new CPU 8600k and Asrock FAtality k6.
I have the same problem you mentioned.
I have AVX offset, and RTTS monitoring with all games.

It's happening to me at all, the frequency is moving a lot.

Is there a solution?
Is it a BIOS problem?
Are they gonna fix it?

It's pretty annoying, since they're missing Hrz.
I have 400Mhz OC and and AVX stock.

Thanks

Soldato
Hello. Hi,

I introduce myself, I'm new here.
I registered because I bought new CPU 8600k and Asrock FAtality k6.
I have the same problem you mentioned.
I have AVX offset, and RTTS monitoring with all games.

It's happening to me at all, the frequency is moving a lot.

Is there a solution?
Is it a BIOS problem?
Are they gonna fix it?

It's pretty annoying, since they're missing Hrz.
I have 400Mhz OC and and AVX stock.

Thanks

I believe this is an intel problem as it's happening on numerous boards. At this moment it seems there is no fix, from what I can see not a lot of noise has been made about it either.

Associate
I believe this is an intel problem as it's happening on numerous boards. At this moment it seems there is no fix, from what I can see not a lot of noise has been made about it either.
I see....
And in the motherboards forums?
Could you ask yourself?
What are the chances they'll fix it? I think it's a pretty serious mistake.....

Just use 0 avx offset.

I'm not interested.
The OC that can be achieved without AVX is much larger.
For gaming is much better

Associate
Sorry for the late response. Yes, disabled AVX offset and this seems to have resolved it, though bus speed jumps around a lot but the core never seems to drop below 5.197, so I'm not going to moan about that, given it's negligible.

Just going to get on with my games now. Cheers.

To add to this, now getting similar scores to the original post + a nice bump in 3DMark.

Been playing Destiny 2, PUBG, BF1 and GTA V on and off all day yesterday. CPU hasn't missed made a hiccup once! Very happy :)

Associate
That's how it's meant to work. Using an avx offset is supposed to downclock the cpu.
Although with the 8700k this feature appears to be broken.
Yes, of course, I know that the AVX offset behavior is to lower the CPU frequency.
BUT ONLY when using AVX instructions no??
Why then, in ALL games, does the frequency rise and fall between the CPU and AVX offset settings?

EDIT:
broken?
mmm: - (
in 7Gen doesn't happen?
So they're supposed to fix it, right?

Associate
Yes, of course, I know that the AVX offset behavior is to lower the CPU frequency.
BUT ONLY when using AVX instructions no??
Why then, in ALL games, does the frequency rise and fall between the CPU and AVX offset settings?

EDIT:
broken?
mmm: - (
in 7Gen doesn't happen?
So they're supposed to fix it, right?

Yes, the intended result is only downclocks when receiving AVX instructions.
Currently there is a platform bug that causes downclocks under all instructions.
Yes, it will be fixed... hopefully!

For now just run your AVX offset at 0 or auto and don't run any AVX stress tests. I doubt you are running any software that uses AVX. If you are - then you will need to run a lower overclock until the bug is fixed.

Associate
Yes, the intended result is only downclocks when receiving AVX instructions.
Currently there is a platform bug that causes downclocks under all instructions.
Yes, it will be fixed... hopefully!

For now just run your AVX offset at 0 or auto and don't run any AVX stress tests. I doubt you are running any software that uses AVX. If you are - then you will need to run a lower overclock until the bug is fixed.
I understand.....
One last thing....
My OC at 5Ghz is stable without AVX stress TEST.
With the same voltage, AVX is stable at 4.7 / 4.8, but not at 5.
So....
What is preferable?
1º No offset in AVX and lower my OC to 4.7 to play and no oscillations.
2º Leaving the offset even if it oscillates 300mhz??
Although I didn't start the AVX Stress test, I think I have received a blue screen without AVX offset.
Do you think it's possible to run random AVX instructions while playing?
or is it just a problem of needing more vcore for 5Ghz even without AVX??
It's hard to know, and I'll need more time and evidence.
Anyway, what do you recommend?

Associate
There is an x264 stress test and also a way to turn it into an x265 stress test. Both should be high, but reasonable, real world loads using AVX instructions, unlike AVX Prime 95 which is basically a power virus. You can use them to find a voltage that is stable for real world AVX if you run AVX offset 0.

Soldato
I finally got around to properly clocking mine (5GHz binned 8700k) tonight rather than just running MCE/XMP/auto. I have only run Cinebench and a 15 minute (16GB RAM) Realbench to test, alongside some regular usage, but rock solid stable so far after a small upwards tweak of my initial voltage choice.

50x 100MHz (5.0GHz)
XMP 8Pack memory 3600MHz
vcore 1.325v with LLC 5 (1.296v under load in Windows)
DRAM 1.35v
IO 1.2v
SA 1.22v
CPU standby 1.2v
AVX offset 2
Current cap 140%
Cache/ring 4.4 (auto)

Initially I managed to boot Windows and run Cinebench with 1.275v vcore, but it blue screened after 10 mins of RB. I should be able to find a middle ground (I went straight up to 1.325v) but either way temps are good. I'm seeing it hover consistently at 70oC after 15 mins of Realbench stress test, and between 50 and 60 oC with non-AVX stress tests or under repeated Cinebench. Idle is around 26oC and it hovers around 30oC with browsing and light usage. That's with my AIO set to silent/slow fans and the chassis fans on silent (500rpm or so). There doesn't seem any point increasing noise when temps barely break 70 anyway.

gRqnoET.png
My Cinebench score now seems roughly in line with yours in the OP Ian, hitting 1665 multi and 220 single at 5GHz. Any advice on SVID behaviour? Is it worth changing from auto to try to lower temps even further? RAM tuning next... :D

Last edited:
Associate
There is an x264 stress test and also a way to turn it into an x265 stress test. Both should be high, but reasonable, real world loads using AVX instructions, unlike AVX Prime 95 which is basically a power virus. You can use them to find a voltage that is stable for real world AVX if you run AVX offset 0.
What? test stress x264 y x265?
no is recommend user Primer95 for AVX?

Associate
Sorry for the newbie question but I have bought the below and wanted to test CPU was @5 as advertised, whats the best way to test this. I am getting 4.385 on CPU Bench stress test.

It was also part of a full system so I jave not installed anything or touched anything.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x 8Pack Elite Tier Overclocked i7 8700K @ 5GHz Gaming Bundle = £1,244.99
    • Motherboard:Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:8Pack Asetek 570LX 240mm High Performance CPU Cooler - 115X
    • CPU:Intel Core i7-8700K 5.0Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Pre-Binned Processor - OEM

Total: £1,255.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom