• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 780Ti was the fastest card from Kepler IMO but it's no coincidence that they shaved off 3GB from the overpriced supercomputer cards

Yes the 780ti would have looked exceptionally attractive with 6gb and who would buy a 4gb 980 if you could pick up a 6gb 780ti? It's a shame the market is this way now. In the past each new generation would comfortably supersede the old so people would want to upgrade because the new stuff was so much faster. Now we have so-called new gen that's 10pc quicker than the old and has to rely on the built in obsolescence of the old gen to force the upgrade.

Yeah NVIDIA really have a habit of making sure they always give the enthusiast the imperfect card just so they can upgrade to the next flagship.

The 780Ti was the fastest card from Kepler IMO but it's no coincidence that they shaved off 3GB from the overpriced supercomputer cards and never offered a version with 6GB. Otherwise why buy a 980?

Yup, OEMs were under strict instruction not to launch a 6gb ti. Why? hey, look, come buy a 980 it's got 1gb more VRAM.

I got my TBs for £699 each. Yeah, that's expensive, but it's still cheaper than buying two 780tis, running out of VRAM and then buying two 980s.

I got to sit and laugh at the 9x0 cards, and tbh? unless the Titan X is twice as fast as my TBs I get to bypass that too.

What Nvidia have done with the 970 however is inexcusable. Sorry, I just don't buy the excuses people are trying to give to them. You don't feel sorry for large rich corporations and nor should you.

They knew exactly what they were doing. This was no mistake, no error, no accident.

Any chance this has anything to do with the matter ?

http://www.wkrb13.com/markets/468447/nvidia-cao-david-m-shannon-sells-21400-shares-nvda/

David M. Shannon sold 21,400 shares of the stock in a transaction dated Wednesday, January 21st. The shares were sold at an average price of $20.26, for a total transaction of $433,564.00.

Probably why some people should think that maybe , just maybe they are afraid of whats going to happen.

he still owns nearly $5m worth of shares, surely if he thought they were about to take a big hit he would have sold a lot more then $500k, lmao

the tinfoil hats and pitchforks are working over time this week aren't they, this thread is comedy gold

Last edited:
I've had more Nvidia cards than AMD/ATI but to sell cards with false specs is a joke, bad enough they overprice many of their cards.

I'll likely go AMD for my next card, guaranteed specs and at a better price to boot.. speaking of boots, NV need one up the backside. Not that this should affect me much because i'm on 1080p, but it has most likely damaged its resale value.. way to go NV.

any ocuk response yet ?

I'm debating giving them a call later on today to find out myself. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in talks with NVidia about what is going to happen. Personally I think refunds should be in order for those who want them. Heck, I'd even take store credit since I'm pretty loyal to OcUK. It would surprise me if Gibbo straight up declined any returns on the cards due to this since OcUK is always top notch when it comes to looking after their customers.

Yup, OEMs were under strict instruction not to launch a 6gb ti.

It does suck that they do stuff like that, I remember when ASUS were about to launch a clocked to the wall dual GTX680 card and Nvidia jumped on them because they didn't want a custom card that was above a GTX690.

It's the complete opposite of AMD, who not only didn't complain about third parties making dual 7970 cards but after seeing how popular they were decided to launch their own.

I think Gibbo is too busy counting the stocks of unsold 960s that OCUK bought in.

If anything would this have not helped sell the 960 as less people would have considered paying the extra for the 970?

It does suck that they do stuff like that, I remember when ASUS were about to launch a clocked to the wall dual GTX680 card and Nvidia jumped on them because they didn't want a custom card that was above a GTX690.

It's the complete opposite of AMD, who not only didn't complain about third parties making dual 7970 cards but after seeing how popular they were decided to launch their own.

Same for Titan. Do not remove the cooler, do not release any after market versions of it.

EVGA kind of side stepped them and sold an ACX cooler you could retro fit should you wish, but yeah, very strict on the Titan too.

It would surprise me if Gibbo straight up declined any returns on the cards due to this since OcUK is always top notch when it comes to looking after their customers.

This is the same company that offer a 30 day warranty on B grade stock, which is supposed to be IN ADDITION to your UK legal statutory rights but OCUK try to insist that the 30 day warranty replaces your statutory rights

yeah, top notch :D

I'm debating giving them a call later on today to find out myself. I wouldn't be surprised if they are in talks with NVidia about what is going to happen. Personally I think refunds should be in order for those who want them. Heck, I'd even take store credit since I'm pretty loyal to OcUK. It would surprise me if Gibbo straight up declined any returns on the cards due to this since OcUK is always top notch when it comes to looking after their customers.

I've already spoken to OcUK regarding this issue and it took me 5 attempts as 4 times the phone was picked up put down straight away from the other end and then when I did get through to OcUK I was explaining my problem when the person at the other end just hung up on me.
I then had to call back again through to the sales team who then made sure I spoke to someone called Quinn I think.

Oh and to top it off OcUK are not taking returns for this issue and are in talks with Nvidia but they have no time scale for a resolution or a response from Nvidia.

This is the same company that offer a 30 day warranty on B grade stock, which is supposed to be IN ADDITION to your UK legal statutory rights but OCUK try to insist that the 30 day warranty replaces your statutory rights

yeah, top notch :D

they provide 90 days on B grade items not 30

People do need to give it some time and remember whose fault this is, it would be crazy to expect any retailer to just accept returns without first talking to the cause of the problem.

I know is frustrating and I’ve maintained that I will not be happy with anything less than a refund, but I really don’t want it to be at the expense of a generally very good retailer if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom