• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont understand how you can even begin to hold OCUK responsible for what is clearly a failing on the manufacturer / marketing or whatevers side, OCUK merely sell the products, they are provided the product and marketing material and thats it, their job is to sell to the consumer.

If the fault lies with the product itself and its a known issue or a design fault / misinformation from the manufacturers etc then this cannot be a fault of OCUK.

Just be glad OCUK have the excellent RMA policy they have tbh.

I haven't seen anyone blame OCUK for this, just that one guy had a less then pleasant experience trying to talk to their support and a couple speculating that we may not get refunds at all.

Or did you just see someone say something negative and make the rest up yourself? there's enough of that going around this thread already.

To recap then...

In real world terms, people wont notice anything different with the 970. But some people will still moan as its not using the the 4gb vram at full speed and demand refunds as they are that way inclined.

?

A nice analogy is this.

you buy a car with a v6 engine. Except the engine can only ever run as a V5 or a v1 and never as a v6 and when it runs as a v1 it gets lumpy and as a v5 never delivers the numbers it should as a v6?

you buy a graphics card with 8000mhz memory. Except the Memory can only ever run as a 5000mhz or a 1000mhz and never as a 8000mhz and when it runs as a 1000mhz it gets lumpy and as a 1000mhz never delivers the numbers it should as a 8000mhz? nope thats not right is it?

Analogies do not make things easier tbh, A graphics card and an engine are 2 different things that work differently.

I would have said more along the lines of,

I buy a car that has a v6 engine that 'ALWAYS' runs as a v6 engine, but at very high speeds or when pulling my caravan the fuel line narrows itself on a few roads only, Which makes the car never reach its top speed on those roads ( and the car judders around ) but on other roads its fine.

^ even that is a poor analogy but more closely related than your analogy as the graphics card never slows down or downgrades its performance unless you reach a vram limit or vram problem in certain scenarios, the engine of the graphics card is the GPU which i am assuming is fine on the 970?

I took a TV back to a local retailer as was advertised with 3 HDMIs and it only had 2 when I opened box

Was nothing to do with manufacturer etc and refund was given on spot

To recap then...

In real world terms, people wont notice anything different with the 970. But some people will still moan as its not using the the 4gb vram at full speed and demand refunds as they are that way inclined.

?

In real world terms you will if you have a 4K monitor (talking SLI here so don't tell me Im playing at 20fps :P)

For those with 1440p and 1080p you will feel it when Witcher 3 comes out so don't say I didn't warn you.

Just had another email from OCUK customer services.

They're basically washing there hands of anything to do with this until Nvidia say something on the matter.

I said about the ROP count being wrong which was mis-information and the guy said the 970 has a 256bit bus so it's not mis-information.... like lol?

What kind monkeys do OCUK hire for technical RMA returns?

Playing devils advocate here, but the ROP count an L2 size may have been wrong on Nvidia's site, however neither were listed on OCUK's product page so neither were actually misrepresented by OCUK.

Waiting for Nvidia to say what to do about Nvidia's mistake/problem seems like a normal move for any retailer in this situation.

In real world terms you will if you have a 4K monitor (talking SLI here so don't tell me Im playing at 20fps :P)

For those with 1440p and 1080p you will feel it when Witcher 3 comes out so don't say I didn't warn you.

This is exactly why I'm so annoyed, already having trouble with games that are out now and my system was created so I could run DA and The Witcher 3 at max settings on 1440.

To recap then...

?

You don't get it, Nvidia were falsely advertising a product.. and it does affect users, more at 4k i believe but that's besides the point. Point is they were selling a card with false specs.

IF you wanted to take a swipe at the retailer - the Sale Of Goods Act could be in effect - was the product as described? you bought it based upon specs on the website which may or may not *at the time* listed it as being 64 ROP`s (of which google cache does show that as advertised specs - before maxgate started and now have been changed)

there are some ,especially those with Hynix cards which are experiencing issues (Samsung ones seem less effected)

but answer yourself this:

does the card genuinely have issues? are you playing at 4k or filling the ram?

or are you playing at 1080p and just want the chance of *something* for free?; the 970 IS a fast card

You expected to play Witcher 3 on a GTX 970 at full settings when you bought it ?

I feel like I bought a car with 4 wheel drive but the full power "4 wheel drive" only works on 3 wheels and the 4 wheel will only be used when the other 3 are in trouble and will only rotate once in a while to get out of the mud.... Imagine car manufacturers doing a marketing stunt like that !

All those quirks with Vram usage I had I thought was driver issues to be fixed - no ! Man I feel like nVidia laid a turd on my head.
Anyhow I am parting with ALL my GTX 970's goodbye to 5 970's and hello to 3 980's. My 970 SLi rig gets a single 980 and my 3 way SLi 970 will be 980 SLI.

I imagine unless Nvidia agree to refund resellers then there won't be any refunds forthcoming. Though I imagine if a class-action lawsuit arises in the US which you can bet somebody is planning, then that stance might change...just have to wait and see.

I feel like I bought a car with 4 wheel drive but the full power "4 wheel drive" only works on 3 wheels and the 4 wheel will only be used when the other 3 are in trouble and will only rotate once in a while to get out of the mud.... Imagine car manufacturers doing a marketing stunt like that !

All those quirks with Vram usage I had I thought was driver issues to be fixed - no ! Man I feel like nVidia laid a turd on my head.
Anyhow I am parting with ALL my GTX 970's goodbye to 5 970's and hello to 3 980's. My 970 SLi rig gets a single 980 and my 3 way SLi 970 will be 980 SLI.

That sounds like Electronic brakeforce distribution in cars, its genius :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom