• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same company that offer a 30 day warranty on B grade stock

Off topic but Isn't it 90 days? or used to be? Quite a lot of stores do that with sale/RMA items. Was in marks and sparks the other day and heard one of the cashiers telling an old lady that the dressing gown she was buying was non refundable.

I've already spoken to OcUK regarding this issue and it took me 5 attempts as 4 times the phone was picked up put down straight away from the other end and then when I did get through to OcUK I was explaining my problem when the person at the other end just hung up on me.
I then had to call back again through to the sales team who then made sure I spoke to someone called Quinn I think.

Oh and to top it off OcUK are not taking returns for this issue and are in talks with Nvidia but they have no time scale for a resolution or a response from Nvidia.

Wow, that is really surprising, can't believe they just hung straight up on you. Maybe once they hear back from NVidia returns may be on the cards? I don't exactly blame them on their stance at the moment since the last thing they want is to be left with thousands of 970's of which NVidia refuse to foot the bill for.

Hopefully we will know more come the weeks end. I know for a fact that If we do get the option to return that I will be. I will not support a company at all who considers the marketing of these cards acceptable. This is coming from someone who has never ever gone ATI/AMD. Make it right or they won't get my business ever again.

Least all the red team haters might see green isn't 100% spot on all of the time. I am neither as from gen to gen each card has strengths and weaknesses.

Still think we need a OCUK Blue team! to shake things up.

I know, but he was specifically tlking about 3.5GB in a specific timeframe

The 290 has 4GB into which is has to hold the Windows GUI (plus whatever web browsers and other GPU utilizing apps you have open) the 970 would store all of that in the shoddy 500mb so it's actually more like 3.7-3.8GB vs 3.5GB in favour of the 290, however the 970 has hardware memory compression so can actually fit more into that 3.5GB than the 290 can fit into it's remaining 3.7-3.8GB.
If you had been reading what myself and the other guy said, it was a 3.5GB+ list, not a 4GB list.

The compression is not at the Vram storage level either, the compression is when the information is sent.
I have 3x290 i push past the 3.5 GB and just under the 4GB all the time without issues so dont try to give me a lesson ;)

And Don't try to know what i have open and what i do not.

Last edited:
Just had another email from OCUK customer services.

They're basically washing there hands of anything to do with this until Nvidia say something on the matter.

I said about the ROP count being wrong which was mis-information and the guy said the 970 has a 256bit bus so it's not mis-information.... like lol?

What kind monkeys do OCUK hire for technical RMA returns?

Off topic but Isn't it 90 days? or used to be? Quite a lot of stores do that with sale/RMA items. Was in marks and sparks the other day and heard one of the cashiers telling an old lady that the dressing gown she was buying was non refundable.

Yes, they can say that it is non-returnable, however it still has to conform to the Sale of Goods Act - it must be fit for purpose and of acceptable quality... if the old lady got home and the first time she tried it on it split down one side then of course she would be able to get a refund for breach of SoGA
most shops have a "no quibble" returns period which they forgo for sale items, but that returns policy is in addition to your statutory rights and it says exactly that on the signs they put up behind the cashiers

but yes, typo, it is 90 days not 30

Last edited:
I highly doubt game codes will be enough for the SLI market since most of the time they already own the games on offer. Perhaps it will be OK for those who game at 1080p but 1440p users have a right to a refund.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not going to be happy with a game code, I'd rather just have my money back or a reasonable partial refund then I'd go straight back to the red team.

Well, I pretty much spent £600 on 2 G1 Gaming 970s and expected them to last me a while for 1440p gaming. I feel for OCUK, but the consumer has to come first, and people are well within their right to expect a refund if the item doesn't match 0.1% of the stated specs.

Just had another email from OCUK customer services.

They're basically washing there hands of anything to do with this until Nvidia say something on the matter.

I said about the ROP count being wrong which was mis-information and the guy said the 970 has a 256bit bus so it's not mis-information.... like lol?

What kind monkeys do OCUK hire for technical RMA returns?

doesn't sound good...

Partners want nothing to do with this , Retailers want nothing to do with this .. Common Nvidia pull ya fingers out ya lug holes

Dont understand how you can even begin to hold OCUK responsible for what is clearly a failing on the manufacturer / marketing or whatevers side, OCUK merely sell the products, they are provided the product and marketing material and thats it, their job is to sell to the consumer.

If the fault lies with the product itself and its a known issue or a design fault / misinformation from the manufacturers etc then this cannot be a fault of OCUK.

Just be glad OCUK have the excellent RMA policy they have tbh.

Hopefully return requests are piling up at amazon, they withhold payments to suppliers based on numbers of faulty items they are waiting to be replaced.. if you bought your card there I bet you could return it and they would back you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom