• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I bought a car with 4 wheel drive but the full power "4 wheel drive" only works on 3 wheels and the 4 wheel will only be used when the other 3 are in trouble and will only rotate once in a while to get out of the mud.... Imagine car manufacturers doing a marketing stunt like that !

All those quirks with Vram usage I had I thought was driver issues to be fixed - no ! Man I feel like nVidia laid a turd on my head.
Anyhow I am parting with ALL my GTX 970's goodbye to 5 970's and hello to 3 980's. My 970 SLi rig gets a single 980 and my 3 way SLi 970 will be 980 SLI.

You're doing it wrong: you should be going AMD (or pre-owned Nvidia at the very least!) at this point instead of giving Nvidia more of your money. If they don't loose customers due to their questionable business ethics they won't learn and stop being greedy shady see-you-next-Tuesdays!

adverts for the GTX 970 (and some reviews) were saying this card is suitable for gaming at 4k - its now the green team fangirls are saying its a mid range (yes really) card and doesn't play at 4k

Yes it does play at 4k? what are you drinking? People have said if you want as maxed details as possible then something with more vram would be better. but no one said it cannot play games at 4k.

Last edited:
One thing that makes me wonder about some of the posts in this thread is the fact that a 970 runs the SoM bench better than a 290X which happens to have a 512bit bus and 4gb of VRAM in one pool.:eek:

You expected to play Witcher 3 on a GTX 970 at full settings when you bought it ?

4K probably not at uber settings but I prefer to be horsepower limited and add a third GTX970 than Vram limited at or over 3.6GB.

Same applies to 1080p

If I get for example 50FPS at uber settings for 1080p and hit that dredded 3.5GB+ stutterfest ?

All those quirks with Vram usage I had I thought was driver issues to be fixed - no ! Man I feel like nVidia laid a turd on my head.
Anyhow I am parting with ALL my GTX 970's goodbye to 5 970's and hello to 3 980's. My 970 SLi rig gets a single 980 and my 3 way SLi 970 will be 980 SLI.

So you still want to give Nvidia your money. :p

This must be the fastest growing thread ever. Reading the comments makes me laugh.

OCUK and Corsair advertise the Corsair HG10 without mentioning you need a blower style fan which makes it useless to anyone without a R9 290 blower style cooler yet no one is up in arms about that being misleading.

Playing devils advocate here, but the ROP count an L2 size may have been wrong on Nvidia's site, however neither were listed on OCUK's product page so neither were actually misrepresented by OCUK.

Did NVidia actually ever list the ROP count etc? looking at their website they only list Texture Fill Rate and GTX970 is listed as 109GT/s v 144GT/s of the GTX980, aren't reviewers the ones who have misrepresented?

Yes it does play at 4k? what are you drinking? People have said if you want as maxed details as possible then something with more vram would be better. but no one said it cannot play games at 4k.

you cant read? let me break down what I wrote:

adverts for the GTX 970 (and some reviews) were saying this card is suitable for gaming at 4k

reviews were and still are saying it plays games at 4k

its now the green team fangirls are saying its a mid range (yes really) card and doesn't play at 4k

on certain more flamboyant forums (and in this thread) certain posters are desperately saying that a £300 video card is in fact `mid range` ; bare in mind the GTX 480 was similar money when it was new and bleeding edge!

Last edited:
To recap then...

In real world terms, people wont notice anything different with the 970. But some people will still moan as its not using the the 4gb vram at full speed and demand refunds as they are that way inclined.

?

It's not as simple as that, something Nvidia have yet to address.

Above the 3.5gb threshold, the game was BARELY playable. I believe it was even playable due to the nature of the game rather than the GTX 970 handling its Vram better in this particular title. Only the minimum FPS was representative of the ****** experience. What was 55 FPS felt like 15.
----------------------CONCLUSION---------------------
The GTX 970 is a 3.5gb card. It will perform horribly once 3.5gb of Vram is used and is a deal breaker to many high resolution enthusiasts.

Did NVidia actually ever list the ROP count etc? looking at their website they only list Texture Fill Rate and GTX970 is listed as 109GT/s v 144GT/s of the GTX980, aren't reviewers the ones who have misrepresented?

Apparently, according to Techpowerup, reviewers got their ROP count based on a non-public document NVIDIA circulated to the media before the 970/980 were launched. That document shows 60 ROPS for both cards with no mention of whether they were all active or not on the 970 so the media assumed they were.

you cant read? let me break down what I wrote:

reviews were and still are saying it plays games at 4k

on certain more flamboyant forums (and in this thread) certain posters are desperately saying that a £300 video card is in fact `mid range` ; bare in mind the GTX 480 was similar money when it was new and bleeding edge!

There is not a GPU that has been released and their won't be in the next two generations that is suitable for playing @4K, at the moment you need a minimum of 3 GPUs and the VRAM to back it up.

Review sites can say what they like as they do their testing on reduced settings @4K but at the moment there are no GPUs capable.:)

TBH

I am a 1080p gamer.

I have tried everything this morning on the only game I have (AC-U) to get it over 3.5, yeah it hits 3.6 but pretty much stays are 3.5 max out.

I have used shadow play to record it and each time, for me, there are no issue.

As I, a 1080p user, I can only opinionated from my perspective and day to day use.

Yeah Nvidia have definitely been up to shenanigans. The BS that came out yesterday is amazing and absolutely will not (or should be) accepted by the community.

But, and I got into trouble for this yesterday, I am good with the card.

That is not to say you hi res users should not pursue this with Nvidia. You are right to expect what you ordered and especially if you are asking the card(s) to work there hardest to give you the experience you expected and the way the games where meant to be played.

I do not think OCUK should be expected to RMA and refund when the suppliers have not moved yet. If the suppliers move then OCUK will jump to the beat of the drum based on the suppliers tune. however not before.They can not take the financial hit.

If someone fancy's getting the sale of goods act involved then go for it but by the time you have a resolution the next series will be out.

I don't think that Nvidia will do anything,might give a game code, probably not.

What I do know is, they have ****** off the wrong consumers.

There is not a GPU that has been released and their won't be in the next two generations that is suitable for playing @4K, at the moment you need a minimum of 3 GPUs and the VRAM to back it up.

Review sites can say what they like as they do their testing on reduced settings @4K but at the moment there are no GPUs capable.:)

review sites is how the bulk of people buy video cards - `oooh shiny GTX 970 ultra uber edition scores well at 4k` - here ocuk take my £500....

and

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/20.html

seems TPU seem to find cards right now that can game at 4k quite well thank you

oh and

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/12.html

that's 60fps at 4k....

Just got of the phone with a large online retailer and they will not be accepting any refunds for the MSI GTX 970. This seems to be inline with what I have read about other retailers too.

MSI directly also said the decision will be with the retailer and they will have no part in it.

Oddly enough the representative from the retailer claimed that this was the first he has heard about it!? Was there not even one single return tried?

I will seek legal alternatives over the next few days.

Just got of the phone with a large online retailer and they will not be accepting any refunds for the MSI GTX 970. This seems to be inline with what I have read about other retailers too.

MSI directly also said the decision will be with the retailer and they will have no part in it.

Oddly enough the representative from the retailer claimed that this was the first he has heard about it!? Was there not even one single return tried?

I will seek legal alternatives over the next few days.

trading standards and sale of goods act(1979)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom