• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to some people - a 970 is MID RANGE CARD

It is.

750ti low end. GTX 960, now that we have it, entry level mid range. 970 and 980 mid range, Titan X and 990ti or whatever they decide to call it, high end.

The 970 and 980 are made on mid range silicon, the kitchen sink is yet to come. If you look at how they are specced compared to say, the Titan, they have much weaker memory pipelines.

The 670 2gb and 680 2gb were also mid range cards.

The only difference? Nvidia has changed their crap around since Fermi and now do it in the reverse order. And it's pretty clever, because you get people rushing out to buy 970s and 980s and then within a year you release the actual high end cards and guess what? they sell them for peanuts and go running back to Nvidia for more.

Even *I* got caught out with Kepler. I bought two 670s kinda knowing they were mid ranged (all I had to do was take one bloody look at how they were built and the tiny PCB and over hanging coolers) and begrudgingly handed over £650 for a pair, then within two years I'm buying a pair of Titan Blacks for 4k.

If the 970 and 980 was everything that Maxwell could manage, with everything unlocked (and not stepped like the Titan, then the Titan black) then they would be high end Maxwell.

But they're clearly not. One look at the memory pipelines when they released and I LOLed.

The tricks Nvidia have pulled off since Fermi is -

1. Launch the lower end cards first, but, pretend they are high end. That way you can charge £350-£450 for them, which used to be the price of a real high end Nvidia card.

2. Then sell the actual high end ones for six hundred and ninety nine pounds and ninety nine pence, setting a new precedent for high end card prices.

They've been cutting corners worse than Lewis Hamilton since Fermi. Hence why you just got sold a card that isn't as advertised, because when you have the successes of Kepler you think you can get away with anything.

I can't tell you how many reviews I read about the 970 that said, and I quote -

It's basically the same as the 980, and when overclocked is about as fast.

Only it isn't, is it?

Seriously, if you think your card is high end just wait until they actually stop the messing around and release the real Maxwells.

a mid range card at the same price the GTX 480 was selling at? = no its a high end part

No that's just Nvidia milking it's customers by fooling them into thinking that because it's more expensive than the competitors high end that it's also high end. And as Andy pointed out above, wham they drop the true high end for almost double the price.

That's all there is to it

a mid range card at the same price the GTX 480 was selling at? = no its a high end part

No, it's a high end PRICE.

Watch what the Titan X and 990ti do to your 970. They will make mincemeat out of it.

The 480 was a massive die that cost a fortune and was hot and power hungry. Why? because it had a kitchen sink bolted to it.

They learned a very, very valid lesson from that and haven't repeated it. IE - make the cheap crap first, get the old trousers down on people, sell your mid range silicon at high prices then break the rules with your actual real high end silicon.

The lesson was easily learned from the GTX 460. Mid range card, £120 (like actual EEK did Nvidia really charge that little for such a cracker?!) sold by the bucket load.

Big fat hungry hot one? sold like a dose.

Last edited:
wish I could send a virtual drink to andy

read something like that a few yearsago - Nvidia held back a real performer because AMD couldn't smash them so it was heldback then srapped, back wth Fermi / Kepler. They had a real thoroughbred but held it back.

Smaller than a 780.

It was as big as Fermi got, though. 580 was pretty much the same thing, only with a better cooler and more efficient power stages. Oh yeah, and the throttle lol.

The 780 is beast, still is. So how do you make that replaceable? you simply limit it to 3gb and then tell every AIBP not to make a 6gb 780ti as per their instructions.

That way you can charge six hundred and ninety nine pounds and ninety nine pence for the real, actual, high end card that will last more than five minutes.

Just to break up the bickering...

If you want to start that there are plenty of Kepler Card's bursting into flames images that can be posted from the days when Nvidia had problems with their cards blowing up.

But let's not behave like 4 year old's and just stick to the topic, they are inanimate objects that you feel are being insulted, nothing more.

Nope all my background programs are running like always and no none of them have the option to turn off GPU acceleration.
Now with Aero.

No idea why your usage is so low, what resolution are you running? Are you sure you have GPU acceleration enabled in stuff like Steam/Chrome/etc?

Notice the dynamic MEM, which is system ram which is where non priority gfx assets are stored

Yes, my G/F's 280X rig has that too.

And no one is trying to make you feel bad

Actually that's exactly what the guys I was replying too were doing, albeit tongue in cheek (I hope)

but dont try to make out that 290 are facing the same issues when it come to 4GB usage because the OS is using such and such they are not

Really? because I see similar results on my backup 290 rig, hence why this issue isn't bothering me in the slightest because I know I'm not really losing out on anything.

Last edited:
If you want to start that there are plenty of Kepler Card's bursting into flames images that can be posted from the days when Nvidia had problems with their cards blowing up.

But let's not behave like 4 year old's and just stick to the topic, they are inanimate objects that you feel are being insulted, nothing more.

I'm only trying to have a bit of fun. My actual opinion is, I feel disgusted by this whole situation and Nvidia's canned response is pathetic. It doesn't matter if it's AMD, Nvidia or Intel, you cannot incorrectly sell a product and expect consumers to just deal with it. By law, Nvidia have to do something here, and they think it's just going to disappear. Their reputation is at rock-bottom now and the longer this goes on, the worst it will get.

I'm only trying to have a bit of fun. My actual opinion is, I feel disgusted by this whole situation and Nvidia's canned response is pathetic. It doesn't matter if it's AMD, Nvidia or Intel, you cannot incorrectly sell a product and expect consumers to just deal with it. By law, Nvidia have to do something here, and they think it's just going to disappear. Their reputation is at rock-bottom now and the longer this goes on, the worst it will get.

Fair enough, my apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom