• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's worrying is not just about the 970, but the concern is if Nvidia really can get out of this without needing to do anything to make up to the 970 users who essentially bought something that's falsely advertised (it's missing 8 ROPS!), then what's stopping them from letting the same thing happen again for future releases?

I think they are more likely to play this down / sweep it under the carpet by focusing some of their attention on to other press releases.

I don't see them making exactly the same **** up again.

The eyes of the geekdom world are on that thread in the Nvidia forums. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the PR posts are genuine.

Nor would I, and I think its actually quite clever.

How it seems to me: nVidia, the faceless corporation that took your money without being entirely open what was sold is much more likely to elicit rage from people rather than the nVidia where people work who have a name and who'd try to help you because they feel bad over the mistake their copany made. And I think that rage probably results in a higher number of RMA's, so soothing the emotions ... nice trick.

I'm shocked there weren't more people complaining about this card before the vram issue arouse.

Mines been a pain in the arse for a while, low usage/fps stuttering. Arma III is a joke. WoT I get blurry tanks and sometimes the fps will just drop to the 30s so have to restart PC.

Arkham asylum ran OK. Playing TR at the moment which is OK but just dosnt seem smooth, like there is very micro stuttering going on.

All in all the card seems gutless, great temps and noise but I'd rather be able to play games as there meant to be played.

Arma 3 performance i can actually comment on, and i play it with my 1440p and a single 290. Plays beautifully, I feel for those who feel ripped of by Nvidia :( as i was thoroughly ripped off by MSI and their Lightning card, god what a piece of **** that was...

Last edited:
Gibbo responded that they don't work for Nvidia, so I guess that translate to "it's not their responsibility or position to comment", so it's all down to Nvidia.

Honestly doubt anything will be done about it though. What's worrying is not just about the 970, but the concern is if Nvidia really can get out of this without needing to do anything to make up to the 970 users who essentially bought something that's falsely advertised (it's missing 8 ROPS!), then what's stopping them from letting the same thing happen again for future releases?

Hmm, cant see that in this thread :/

Anyhoo....work for nVidia or not......surely OCUK are the people we go to if say, we had a warranty issue, is that not right?

Does that not apply to the issue of specs being incorrect?

J

Nividia really need to step up and offer refunds to those who want them. At the end of the day this card was advertised wrongly and as such buyers were mislead.

Just thought i would check......anyone know if the Gigabyte G1 page has always had the following on it or was that a tactical addition lately?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5209#ov

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

Seems generic and moreso focused at general system/os builds etc.....but could be spun to this purpose i guess

I tried Google's cached version but it melted

J

After my reply from OC and the way my call was treated I've decided to go down this route, will let everyone know how it goes.

Can you definitely let me know what happens with this - because I'm going to return my card (MSI 970 4G Gaming) that I bought from here 3 months ago.

How did you phrase your request to overclockers and what did you quote from consumer protection - when I went to small claims with my projector it was on grounds 'not fit for purpose'.

"When you buy something, consumer law says the item must be fit for purpose.

For example, a toaster must be able to make toast and a washing machine must be able to wash clothes.

As well as being fit for their normal purpose goods must also be fit for any specific purpose that the seller told you they would be fit for.

The law which gives you this right is called the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

This right only applies when you buy something from a business, not from a private seller."

I decided to change my pre-order for an OcUK reference 970 to a 980. While it's galling to spend even more money with NVIDIA, I didn't want to regret buying a 970 in 12 months' time. I did take a very close look at the AMD R290X, but it just didn't do it for me.

Gibbo responded that they don't work for Nvidia, so I guess that translate to "it's not their responsibility or position to comment", so it's all down to Nvidia.

They don't have to comment but they do have to respect and abide by Sale of Goods Act 1979.

It's always down to the retailer of the goods to sort out issues with anything they've sold - so unfortunately they will have to deal with it.

They don't have to comment but they do have to respect and abide by Sale of Goods Act 1979.

It's always down to the retailer of the goods to sort out issues with anything they've sold - so unfortunately they will have to deal with it.

Indeed.... if they do not help then get your credit card company on the case.

So far i have not tried to contact ocuk for a return as i am waiting to see if anything official appears. I assume they will comment soon though! now it is officially an issue.

Last edited:

Given the size and scale of any operation required to fix this, cut Gibbo & co some slack. They'll be working on it :)

EDIT: Sorry, it's early, mis-read that as you laying into them. Apologies!!

I'm shocked there weren't more people complaining about this card before the vram issue arouse.

Mines been a pain in the arse for a while, low usage/fps stuttering. Arma III is a joke. WoT I get blurry tanks and sometimes the fps will just drop to the 30s so have to restart PC.

Arkham asylum ran OK. Playing TR at the moment which is OK but just dosnt seem smooth, like there is very micro stuttering going on.

All in all the card seems gutless, great temps and noise but I'd rather be able to play games as there meant to be played.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27541243&postcount=2399

Given the size and scale of any operation required to fix this, cut Gibbo & co some slack. They'll be working on it :)

EDIT: Sorry, it's early, mis-read that as you laying into them. Apologies!!

Yeah - I agree it must be a nightmare for retailers when this sort of thing happens - but as customers we can only approach the person who sold us the item for recompense.

It's in the retailers interest to help the customer not drive them away.

I should imagine all the manufacturers and Nvidia are talking seriously about this - you can't ignore it.

I don't know how the retailer deals with this type of problem but I would assume the manufacturer eventually pays them compensation and then the manufacturer takes Nvidia to task.

To be honest - I don't normally buy PC components from anywhere other than Ama zon as they have a no quibble return which I've used many times. (I successfully returned a complete system I'd built used and then dismantled without incurring any fees.... can't beat that - no questions asked).

I'll watch this and see how it pans out but I'm going to be wary of buying any PC components from here and other smaller players in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom