• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Nvidia employee on their forums, this is the full post....

I totally get why so many people are upset. We messed up some of the stats on the reviewer kit and we didn't properly explain the memory architecture. I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

It sucks because we're really proud of this thing. The GTX970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance.

Having said that, I understand that this whole experience might have turned you off to the card. If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

--Peter

Sure, lets all give Peter a call....he will fix it.

FLOL.

It should not be up to poor Peter. I sympathize for him....HE is trying.

BUT. Everyone involved in making all the greedy, stinky money involved with these cars (yes, driven by appetite, fanboi'ism whatever) should be doing the same. OCUK included.

We are all PC nuts.....we look at every minute detail when buying a card and I for one, while I have never had an SLI rig in my life...always build and buy with that prospect in mind if I can afford it.

Does it KILL me in game now? No.....could it do so in the future....of course. And that is why refunds quite simply HAVE to be on the table.....from everyone involved.

Granted, nVidia are goign to try and help the performance....most notably, probably by stopping the card using that 500mb of RAM. Greatly changing the specs....time will tell.

Yes, I will try the fix....but if that fix turns the card into a 3.5Gb card.....nothing will stop refunds. Nothing.

Just IMO of course :D

J

Lip service from Nvidia, they aint fixing botched up vram implementation.

They deceived people that bought the 970, if them people want a refund they should get it.

1) They can't fix a damn hardware problem that easily. You know how long it takes to fix these issues?

2) Trying to fix things with a driver is an easier solution, that could fix some of the problems

3) Nvidia are willing to give support to people who can't get refunds.

Which one of these don't you understand?!

Just had a look at the product pages for MSI and EVGA and as it stands at this moment they have not stated what Gigabyte have:

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. "

Sorry but nvidia HAVE admitted an issue have they not? im a bit confused here... are ocuk saying that unless makes a press annoucement saying "RETURN THEM" they they will not help?

It's probably more to it than that, OCUK like many retailers are likely waiting for Nvidia to cough up the money for the resellers to accept returns. It's why that post is a clever PR exercise at best. I think it's going to take a class-action suit before Nvidia admit fault and pay out.

Sorry but nvidia HAVE admitted an issue have they not? im a bit confused here... are ocuk saying that unless makes a press annoucement saying "RETURN THEM" they they will not help?

that's what the reply states in the CS section I have posted.

here is a quote from it

We are clear, NVIDIA are clear, until as such it is proven that NVIDIA are not clear we won’t be accepting returns, so we see no fault and until NVIDIA inform us otherwise we won’t be accepting RMA’s based on threads in forums on the internet.

Well, I have gone and bought 3 x 290x 8gb cards.

Will keep watching this though, as I would like to be able to return my 970's for refund.

I didn't want to get 290s, but I wasn't giving Nvidia more money for a 980, and I just want my system up and running. I have so little time for gaming, I want to just have my system set up and ready, not having to worry about chaning things for the next 1.5+ years.

Just had a look at the product pages for MSI and EVGA and as it stands at this moment they have not stated what Gigabyte have:

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. "

I wish I'd stuck with my gut and gone EVGA, apparently they are offering customers the ability to step-up outside of the usual 90 day window.

Actually I wish I'd stayed with my EVGA 980 SC. I had zero problems with that card but got greedy and wanted more performance.

Chargeback

If you are serious about getting a refund and getting no joy, and you paid with either debit card or credit card you can ignore retailer and go directly to your card provider.

I've successfully done this in the past with a debit card (First Direct) but you have to remember card chargebacks are not enshrined in law and are down to the card provider.

WHICH INFO CHARGEBACK

However anything over £100 on Credit Card is subject to Section 75 rules and you are protected by law:

WHICH INFO SECTION 75

Last edited:
Can someone answer the question of how many games this affects now? And does this affect games at 1920*1080 resolution, or do most games only use 3.5GB+ of VRAM above that?

There's 1, maybe 2, some games tested are a mess on any card, but its convenient to blame it on the 970, infact my toaster this morning wouldnt hold the bread down, I should text my mate and blame that on his 970 too.

Can someone answer the question of how many games this affects now? And does this affect games at 1920*1080 resolution, or do most games only use 3.5GB+ of VRAM above that?

I would guess that any of the latest super pretty games are affected and obviously, most/all going forwards where designers are fully using the mythical 4gb hardware ram

J

Where did you get your money tree?

Can you send me some of the seeds pls

KTHXBYE

Ha! Lol

It was not an easy decision, but because of not having huge amounts of time (but still some :) ) I just want my system "complete" for a while.

Had the 970's not been misrepresented, I would have got a third and left it at that.

Just want to close my box up and not touch it for a while :)

I wish I'd stuck with my gut and gone EVGA, apparently they are offering customers the ability to step-up outside of the usual 90 day window.

Actually I wish I'd stayed with my EVGA 980 SC. I had zero problems with that card but got greedy and wanted more performance.

I did this too (literally swapped same graphics card to the ones you/I have now!) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom