• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: How many games actually use up to 3.5GB of VRAM? Is this only really an issue at resolutions above 1920*1080?

I stupidly went and bought one of the GTX 970s before seeing this news, and I'm starting to regret the decision a bit. Problem is, I can't really afford to shell out for a 980 sadly :(

That's absolutely spot on, people just want **** for free.

That's not helpful - what do we want for free - our money back that we have already given to a retailer for a card that doesn't have the specs or perfomance that was advertised?

Why even bother posting?

Also if you go further down that post and look at the German website that has completed new testing you can see why people are concerned with stutter - frame times on the 970 are seriously screwed.

HERE

That's not helpful - what do we want for free - our money back that we have already given to a retailer for a card that doesn't have the specs or perfomance that was advertised?

Why even bother posting?

Also if you go further down that post and look at the German website that has completed new testing you can see why people are concerned with stutter - frame times on the 970 are seriously screwed.

HERE

Watchdogs ? lol its a mess for any card

ie... its hardware and cannot be "fixed" completely.

Sure it can't be "fixed" completely. But doing something with the driver is better than doing nothing at all.

Whatever it was, a mix up in communication during design, blatant lying (I doubt it was that, there is nothing to be gained from it) at least they are going to try and do their best to improve the performance which is all they can do,

From Nvidia..

"We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance."

The way people are talking, isn't this supposed to be an unfixable hardware issue?

If they can fix this through a simple driver update, this could be why retailers are holding off on taking any action? If Nvidia do manage to fix this for those affected, surely this can be put to bed.

How did this problem not get picked up in any of the reviews?

when I read the old reviews back its because the reviewers have a fixed portfolio of games they mindlessly trot out and don't ever test how any of the GPU's cope with memory filling in any instances.

They all run fill rate synthetics but not one of the main sites ive read actually tests how cards perform with fully utilised memory. Maybe they will now.

Why even bother posting?

HERE

So it's not even a 256bit card is a 224bit card at best.

From Nvidia employee on their forums, this is the full post....

I totally get why so many people are upset. We messed up some of the stats on the reviewer kit and we didn't properly explain the memory architecture. I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

It sucks because we're really proud of this thing. The GTX970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance.

Having said that, I understand that this whole experience might have turned you off to the card. If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

--Peter

i have asked to RMA my card because i am having issues gaming but OCUK will not take the card back unless Nvidia say so or admit there is a problem.

i don't blame OCUK at all and I don't mind waiting but the issue is that i have used the optimised settings from the Nvidia experience software and the card cannot run the games for long periods of time using the settings from the Nvidia software so surely its a issue with the card if it cannot run the settings they suggest.

the game isn't even a recent release its CSGO so its not like its a heavily detailed game! i will have to see if i can do some testing tonight

From Nvidia employee on their forums, this is the full post....

I totally get why so many people are upset. We messed up some of the stats on the reviewer kit and we didn't properly explain the memory architecture. I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

It sucks because we're really proud of this thing. The GTX970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance.

Having said that, I understand that this whole experience might have turned you off to the card. If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

--Peter

Seems no one at ocuk have read that then. I just tried to arrange a return and had the phone put down on me!

i have asked to RMA my card because i am having issues gaming but OCUK will not take the card back unless Nvidia say so or admit there is a problem.

i don't blame OCUK at all and I don't mind waiting but the issue is that i have used the optimised settings from the Nvidia experience software and the card cannot run the games for long periods of time using the settings from the Nvidia software so surely its a issue with the card if it cannot run the settings they suggest.

the game isn't even a recent release its CSGO so its not like its a heavily detailed game! i will have to see if i can do some testing tonight

Sorry but nvidia HAVE admitted an issue have they not? im a bit confused here... are ocuk saying that unless makes a press annoucement saying "RETURN THEM" they they will not help?

Seems no one at ocuk have read that then. I just tried to arrange a return and had the phone put down on me!

If that's true then they are going to put a lot of peoples noses out of joint.

It's fine to be annoyed but not with the customer. The customer provides your lifeblood afterall... would you buy from a company that treated you like that again?

I wouldn't.

Just thought i would check......anyone know if the Gigabyte G1 page has always had the following on it or was that a tactical addition lately?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5209#ov

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

Seems generic and moreso focused at general system/os builds etc.....but could be spun to this purpose i guess

I tried Google's cached version but it melted

J

Surely if that is up on the Gigabyte description it should be clearly stated on the OCUK product description?

I have checked and it is on the G1 product page at Gigabyte but it is not on the OCUK product description. I have screendumped the OCUK product page as of 9.51am today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom