• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what speeds? Simultaneous read and/or write between the two modules? I doubt it. Gimped card is still a physically gimped card.

Well, if the 7th L2 has to access 2 chips, then that's half the bandwidth of 1x L2 = 16bit so 192bit + 16bit = 208bit?

What fillrate would that work out as?>

edit: no, stupid. it would be 256bit - 16bit = 240bit.

maybe.

Ok i dont know :p

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question but, if you don't ask, you will never know.

Ok so say NVidia could fix this and enable the last 0.5. Would this then put the card on level terms with the 980? I'm not very technical so forgive me:D

I dont know bud.....but i guess its down to how they would fix it

I think that some ways of fixing it basically would.

Ok so say NVidia could fix this and enable the last 0.5. Would this then put the card on level terms with the 980? I'm not very technical so forgive me:D

No, it wouldn't put it on the same level as the 980. After all, why would anyone buy a more expensive 980 if they had the same performance?

They can perhaps improve the situation through drivers so that the stuttering some people are reporting is less of or no longer an issue, but that's about it. It'll never perform as well as a 980 because it isn't a 980.

Well this is a kick in the nuts, I bought the 970 because I wanted a 4GB card, not a 3.5GB card. After watching all the videos showing performance drop after 3.GB I'm sitting here wondering what to do. I just read on the Nvidia forums to return the card if you're not happy, but they also said there will be a driver update to help the situation but I doubt it can be properly fixed with a driver update.

Well this is a kick in the nuts, I bought the 970 because I wanted a 4GB card, not a 3.5GB card. After watching all the videos showing performance drop after 3.GB I'm sitting here wondering what to do. I just read on the Nvidia forums to return the card if you're not happy, but they also said there will be a driver update to help the situation but I doubt it can be properly fixed with a driver update.

Link to the nVidia Forum post please?

Nvidia are not going to make it perform the same as a 980 because that will just bring with it a whole heap of new problems for them (ie no one buying 980's and all current 980 owners wanting a refund)

If you guys are angry about this, did you know that the Mega Drive wasn't actually 16bit although it said so on the console in big letters?

It had a 16bit CPU like the Super Nintendo but it's GPU was only 9bit (64 on screen colours) as opposed to the Super Nintendo's 15bit GPU (256 onscreen colours).

I think SEGA owe us all refunds! XD

LOL - That is ALL :cool:

the only thing they can probably do is improve the memory management and make sure that the the last 512mb does not need to be constantly accessed during gaming. which will essentially make it a 3.5gb card with 512mb reserved for OS. not ideal but not the end of the world.

the only thing they can probably do is improve the memory management and make sure that the the last 512mb does not need to be constantly accessed during gaming. which will essentially make it a 3.5gb card with 512mb reserved for OS. not ideal but not the end of the world.

But

not as advertised.

and that will be the end of that

I've been trying to wrap my head around this whole thing since Saturday. I'm genuinely not bothered about the difference in specs - I purchased my card based on benchmarks and reviews.

I am however not happy about the stuttering over 3.5GB - performance drop sure but the stutters I've experienced really makes it unplayable. I can only see games getting better with textures so this will likely affect more and more games @ 1080p.

Doubt very much drivers will fix this unless they just decide to disable the final 0.5GB, however can they do anything with a BIOS update or is this really down to physical design?

Actually able to access them at the same time could do more harm than good. Performance might actually be better, but the 512MB part of the memory get sealed off and not used at all.

The 512MB memory could well be dragging down the speed and performance of the main 3.5GB memory.

Or just the other 7th L2/ROP MC associated 512MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom