• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain your thought process

i've used 4gb in a few games. they didnt tank. Therefore:

"Because it's like running your GTX970 with DDR3"

Not true.

"You guys DON'T want Nvidia to enable the last 512mb. Believe me those that don't have the issue will complain as well."

Not True.

"You go over that 3.5GB-3.6GB "threshold" the performance will tank and you will have every game stutter like there's no tomorrow."

Not True.

I still believe this issue is related to the management of the 0.5gb partitions when in SLi, or rather thats where the problem seems to manifest because virtually every video provided showing problems has been an SLi user. I'm a single card user - 4gb is no issue, so enabling ram that is already enabled is not going to make any different to me.

The problem is the only viable alternative to the 970 is the 980, which is £180 more for the same model. So I'm kinda stuck with the 970 as I can't spare another £180.

Then it's 8gb 290 single or CFX, 295x2, wait for the 380 or proper high end Maxwell.

Until very recently memory spec didn't really matter aside from the 10,000mhz gddr5 zomg. Memory spec only really mattered with Eyefinity which is the reason why AMD bother so much.

But both the 980 and 970 have terribly hobbled memory spec and now that the consoles have 6gb available to them for 1080p it's going to matter a lot more than it used to.

1440p, 1600p, 4k, oddball ultra wide and so on are all the white elephant minority. Fact is 1080p still isn't even the majority as many people are still using less.

I would go for a partially subsidized trade-up to a 980, if given the choice. Even though that would mean going without a GPU in the interim.

On other matters, when are Nvidia going to make 8GB cards? (and by that I mean, unified 8GB cards where all the memory is accessible at the same speed. Shame we now need that clarification, hey?)

Reading what Nvidia said, they will shift more stuff into the 0.5GB of RAM to allow the card to use the full 3.5GB better.

Also, they said it was a 4GB card, and it is a 4GB card. Just not 4GB in the way people expected it to be. If you don't like it, you can return it. If you don't own one it matters less. Yes it sucks that it was misscommunicated, but they are doing their best to fix what they can fix. And since it's a hardware issue, it's kind of hard to fix it now.

I'll probably use the EVGA Step Up to upgrade mine (my card actually arrives today).

i've used 4gb in a few games. they didnt tank. Therefore:

"Because it's like running your GTX970 with DDR3"

Not true.

"You guys DON'T want Nvidia to enable the last 512mb. Believe me those that don't have the issue will complain as well."

Not True.

"You go over that 3.5GB-3.6GB "threshold" the performance will tank and you will have every game stutter like there's no tomorrow."

Not True.

I still believe this issue is related to the management of the 0.5gb partitions when in SLi, or rather thats where the problem seems to manifest. I'm a single card user - 4gb is no issue, so enabling ram that is already enabled is not going to make any different to me.

The truth is yes it might be a SLI issue, but how else can we monitor the stutter if your running a single card to get over that 3.5GB (4K for example) at 10-20fps ?

I might have gone a little overboard with my statement in a way but I think theres a legitimate concern behind it.

Is that memory being used or just allocated for textures?

I think someone mentioned on the Nvidia forums about an SLi profile for Dying Light that addressed stuttering by limiting VRAM usage to around 3.5GB. Most probably a short term solution until they can work out something more sophisticated.

Reading what Nvidia said, they will shift more stuff into the 0.5GB of RAM to allow the card to use the full 3.5GB better.

Also, they said it was a 4GB card, and it is a 4GB card. Just not 4GB in the way people expected it to be. If you don't like it, you can return it. If you don't own one it matters less. Yes it sucks that it was misscommunicated, but they are doing their best to fix what they can fix. And since it's a hardware issue, it's kind of hard to fix it now.

I'll probably use the EVGA Step Up to upgrade mine (my card actually arrives today).

Just a thought, why don't NVIDIA make the OS use the 512MB of reportedly slower RAM for OS functions and then games get the best performance part of the RAM.

I am not a driver developer or NVIDIA, but if they could do that then surely problem resolved as the OS is always stealing VRAM.

Just a thought, why don't NVIDIA make the OS use the 512MB of reportedly slower RAM for OS functions and then games get the best performance part of the RAM.

I am not a driver developer or NVIDIA, but if they could do that then surely problem resolved as the OS is always stealing VRAM.

Because most have jumped on the bandwagon, want a perfectly good 970 for months of ownership then a full refund as a ROP is missing lol. Those type will never be happy, if its not that type then its AMD trolls leaving their puke all over the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom