• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm ... so if I sell a PC system with 16GB of ram and 8GB is physically installed and I'm giving the buyer the other 8GB ram physical in his hands. Then I did sell him a PC with 16GB ram ? right ?

Another take on it is - DON'T HOTLINK

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I’m Rick, a Product Manager for NVIDIA based here in the UK. Although I read the Overclockers forums a lot and work with the guys here, this is my first post.

I want to just start by saying sorry, we messed up.
We posted the wrong GTX 970 spec and we did not fully explain the memory architecture, and I get why you guys are so annoyed.

However, I feel the GTX 970 is still an amazing card and one we are really proud of and I believe it is still the best card you can buy for the money.

If you’ve got any specific questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thanks
Rick

Hi Guys,

I’m Rick, a Product Manager for NVIDIA based here in the UK. Although I read the Overclockers forums a lot and work with the guys here, this is my first post.

We posted the wrong GTX 970 spec and we did not fully explain the memory architecture, and I get why you guys are so annoyed.

However, I feel the GTX 970 is still an amazing card and one we are really proud of and I believe it is still the best card you can buy for the money.

Thanks
Rick
You're not allowed to say otherwise are you?

Because most have jumped on the bandwagon, want a perfectly good 970 for months of ownership then a full refund as a ROP is missing lol. Those type will never be happy, if its not that type then its AMD trolls leaving their puke all over the thread.

Seriously? Talking of trolls? You always jump in AMD threads to troll and leave your mint sauce all over the thread!

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Rick

Just one - can I get a refund? :)

Though, thanks for taking teh time to come on here, and I apologise in advance for anyone who is rude :)

The mega drive didn't **** the bed when it was running at full capacity. :D

That's because it had BLAST PROCESSING! Nvidia needs to patch some blast into it's drivers! XD

NB: The European one actually did because it was locked to 25FPS unlike the 30FPS US/Jap consoles, so would stutter slightly when Sonic was running full speed.

My last OT post, promise :P

"Utilizing graphics memory after 3.5 GB can result into performance issues as the card needs to manage some really weird stuff in memory, it's nearly load-balancing. But fact remains it seems to be handling that well, it’s hard to detect and replicate oddities. If you unequivocally refuse to accept the situation at hand, you really should return your card and pick a Radeon R9 290X or GeForce GTX 980. However, if you decide to upgrade to a GTX 980, you will be spending more money and thus rewarding Nvidia for it. Until further notice our recommendation on the GeForce GTX 970 stands as it was, for the money it is an excellent performer. But it should have been called a 3.5 GB card with a 512MB L3 GDDR5 cache buffer."

FCAT testing by Guru3D
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-geforce-gtx-970-vram-stress-test.html

He isn't using any more than 3.6GB so he is only using 100MB of the slow VRAM :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Rick

Here's a specific question: would Nvidia offer a partially subsidized tradeup to a 980? I.E. we return the 970, and pay part of the difference for a 980?

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Rick

nice to see a nVidia Rep state that they messed up.

So Rick, refunds or not?

It's good that Nvidia think it's an amazing card.

Just a bit of a bummer then that those who bought them don't feel the same way.

That post is useless and offers those who stumped up three hundred sheets absolutely nothing apart from a confession it was falsely advertised.

Come on now, do the right thing. At least Intel did with the Sandy chipset.

"Utilizing graphics memory after 3.5 GB can result into performance issues as the card needs to manage some really weird stuff in memory, it's nearly load-balancing. But fact remains it seems to be handling that well, it’s hard to detect and replicate oddities. If you unequivocally refuse to accept the situation at hand, you really should return your card and pick a Radeon R9 290X or GeForce GTX 980. However, if you decide to upgrade to a GTX 980, you will be spending more money and thus rewarding Nvidia for it. Until further notice our recommendation on the GeForce GTX 970 stands as it was, for the money it is an excellent performer. But it should have been called a 3.5 GB card with a 512MB L3 GDDR5 cache buffer."

FCAT testing by Guru3D
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-geforce-gtx-970-vram-stress-test.html

He isn't using any more than 3.6GB so he is only using 100MB of the slow VRAM :)

2560x1440 – Ultra Quality + DSR @ 3840x2160 = almost 3.6 GB VRAM usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom