• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought, why don't NVIDIA make the OS use the 512MB of reportedly slower RAM for OS functions and then games get the best performance part of the RAM.

I am not a driver developer or NVIDIA, but if they could do that then surely problem resolved as the OS is always stealing VRAM.

If windows used 512mb yes but its probably less than 100mb most of the time

The truth is yes it might be a SLI issue, but how else can we monitor the stutter if your running a single card to get over that 3.5GB (4K for example) at 10-20fps ?

I might have gone a little overboard with my statement in a way but I think theres a legitimate concern behind it.

there is a concern, absolutely. I'm just hoping since it appears worse in SLi that it's something they can fix with software. We'll see.

i've posted a vid of AC:u at 30fps average, 4gb usage. Not the highest framerate but then it was ac:u :p

I've tried other suggested games and software, universe simulator was one suggestion. 3.9gb usage, 50-60fps and no obvious lagging. Difficult to test with a single card as i seemly run out of gpu grunt before memory, which is expected BUT that's also something single gpu owners should be considering - does it actually matter ?

Just a thought, why don't NVIDIA make the OS use the 512MB of reportedly slower RAM for OS functions and then games get the best performance part of the RAM.

I am not a driver developer or NVIDIA, but if they could do that then surely problem resolved as the OS is always stealing VRAM.

Sounds like a good solution. Not sure if it's possible or not (I'm an analog engineer, not a software engineer ;) )

Well I got my 2 msi 970's 3 weeks ago with the Swift monitor and I am very very happy with um.

Dragon age Inq runs in 2k with all on ultra fade texture and aax2 and I get 60-90 fps.

BF4 in ultra 2k with AAx4 I get 100-120 fps.

Hell even the piece of ****e Far cry 4 runs 50fps-90 with ultra settings and AAx2.

Rome 2 battles run at over 60 fps with max units on with ultra settings.

I aint seen any problems with the cars unless I try to play any of those games in 4k.

there is a concern, absolutely. I'm just hoping since it appears worse in SLi that it's something they can fix with software. We'll see.

i've posted a vid of AC:u at 30fps average, 4gb usage. Not the highest framerate but then it was ac:u :p

I've tried other suggested games and software, universe simulator was one suggestion. 3.9gb usage, 50-60fps and no obvious lagging. Difficult to test with a single card as i seemly run out of gpu grunt before memory, which is expected BUT that's also something single gpu owners should be considering - does it actually matter ?

I think its related to how that memory is used, if pre-allocated (1440p) or activately swapped and in use (4K)

The truth is yes it might be a SLI issue, but how else can we monitor the stutter if your running a single card to get over that 3.5GB (4K for example) at 10-20fps ?

Load up Crysis3 with settings that use 4gb on a couple of 970s and compare to a couple of 980s.

Crysis3 is very demanding on hardware but at least the game runs ok unlike some of the rubbish games people have be testing with.

Load up Crysis3 with settings that use 4gb on a couple of 970s and compare to a couple of 980s.

Crysis3 is very demanding on hardware but at least the game runs ok unlike some of the rubbish games people have be testing with.

I will try it later tonight if I can, I guess we want the frametimes and min-avg fps at above 3.6gb but lower than 4gb?

Even when things like this happens, these slaves of Nvidia wont admit these cards are ****. If you cant even run a game (A GAMEWORKS GAME AT THAT) at 1080p these days then i dont know.

And its probably not the case that everyone was happy about the cards, just the majority of this new BREED of fanboys that bought the 970 chose to ignore the flaws that were and are present at this time, and probably assumed it was drivers and would be fixed. Now that it turns out its caused by the just downright pathetic RAM and the even more pathetic 500mb and disabled ROPs, ofcourse people wanna get a refund because they got tricked into buying it and now realize it wont be fixed in the near future by a driver update.

I say if you're deadset on getting an NV card, get a secondhand 780 or a 980, because they're actual good cards from what ive seen... This 970 is just a piece of **** along with the 960.

Last edited:
Even when things like this happens, these slaves of Nvidia wont admit these cards are ****. If you cant even run a game (A GAMEWORKS GAME AT THAT) at 1080p these days then i dont know.

And its probably not the case that everyone was happy about the cards, just the majority of this new BREED of fanboys that bought the 970 chose to ignore the flaws that were and are present at this time, and probably assumed it was drivers and would be fixed. Now that it turns out its caused by the just downright pathetic RAM and the even more pathetic 500mb and disabled ROPs, ofcourse people wanna get a refund because they got tricked into buying it and now realize it wont be fixed in the near future by a driver update.

Don't forget the rubbish ports (Ubisoft I'm talking to you) like FC4s 100% spikes on one core and AC Unity AnvilNext garbage engine.

Man i know I have been replying back to some people here today but now does make me wonder..

I usually run my SLI 970's with 2xaa and DSR set at 2.25 giving me 4K res... some games even though showing good FPS were stuttering like made so I just went back down to 1080p.. now makes sense why my heavily modded skyrim works flawless at 1080p but soon as i change the res although fps seems to be around the same the game just stutters like mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom