• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I’m Rick, a Product Manager for NVIDIA based here in the UK. Although I read the Overclockers forums a lot and work with the guys here, this is my first post.

I want to just start by saying sorry, we mfessed up.
We posted the wrong GTX 970 spec and we did not fully explain the memory architecture, and I get why you guys are so annoyed.

However, I feel the GTX 970 is still an amazing card and one we are really proud of and I believe it is still the best card you can buy for the money.

If you’ve got any specific questions I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thanks
Rick

Classic Nvidia rickrolling if you ask me!:eek::p

On a serious note welcome to the forum rik, and good luck.:)

Nvidia sold a 4GB card. The card has 4GB of VRAM. Yes, not all of it accessible at the maximum speed, and it's split into 3.5GB and 0.5GB, but it's still 4GB. Unless it is advertised as being accessible at maximum speed, there isn't actually any false advertising going on.

It was obviously an architectural decision, for whatever reason. We will probably never know the answer as to why it was done.

I am going with it was more misscommunication of information, or a mix up somewhere, rather than deliberate lying. Maybe this teaches us a lesson to buy EVGA ;)

You might be very surprised, as Gibbo has already said he's sold more this Mon/Tue than last Mon/Tue thats after this 'story' broke.

that would also depend on if people buying these cards know of this thread. i have had my card since Christmas and only found this thread yesterday and also had the issues of games stuttering and low FPS since i have had the card but as it was brought in November for black Friday i was well out of my 14 days to return it so only option i have had it to lower the settings\ress

we should have asked him his favourite coffee
peppermint mocha im betting

*sings* never going to make u cry never going to say gudbye! lalal

If I had known I may not be able to take full advantage of the 4gb of Vram I would not have chosen a 970 ... simple as .. that's not hearsay that's fact.

I haven't been banging on about im going to do this that and the other with my credit card. but I do ask questions as to where I stand with rights so I can make an informed decision for myself.

I was asking someone a question , who quite nicely said fire away. I was asking you nothing.

You can take advantage of the full 4gb, so if that's your basis for choosing the 970 nothing has changed.

The credit card comments were in general.

I'm sure when Rik re-appears he will answer you, although you are in a forum where everyone discusses almost everything that is said, you might be wise to remember that or if you want a one to one discussion with Rik and no-one else to respond then trust him.

Wow... What a load of rubbish is in this thread ! I feel sorry for retailers selling this card, they didn't know about it when they sold them, same as the end user ? Looks like your gonna have to wait & see what the out come is rather than speculation... I'm off to buy a 980...

Yeah I must say I feel terrible for the companies making a mint out of selling these. The poor dears!

Back in reality they won't lose a bean, Nvidia will have to foot the bill just like when Intel released a broken chipset.

That has changed. hasnt it?

You are responding to one of the top three pro-nvidia posters on the board, so you're never going to convince him, change his mind or have a balanced discussion with him. He has a personal grudge against AMD so strong that he'd be on the boards telling everyone how many fps his nVidia magic beans get in Crysis 3 at 4k after being conned into paying £1400 to run two beans in SLI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
Everything you said is hearsay.

Imo, no-one is getting their money back, no-one is getting a step up but 970 owners will get a driver update to resolve issues with memory and performance.

But, end of day, nobody really cares about your opinion.

It's just pity we can't stop you sharing it.

:D

You can take advantage of the full 4gb, so if that's your basis for choosing the 970 nothing has changed.

The credit card comments were in general.

I'm sure when Rik re-appears he will answer you, although you are in a forum where everyone discusses almost everything that is said, you might be wise to remember that or if you want a one to one discussion with Rik and no-one else to respond then trust him.

when its a direct reply via a forum thread , I don't expect you to try dissect my question . ask your own questions

if my perception on how this card may not be suitable for me annoys you so badly then ill happyily block you now

ive tried being polite in this thread so many times , but the smart arses just keep rolling in .

Classic Nvidia rickrolling if you ask me!:eek::p
I actually feel sorry for Rick (if he really exists, rather than a random identiy that Nvidia created). Nvidia basically send him to the front line as a foot-soldier and order him to reclaim lost ground, while not providing him with any weapon and ammunition and no air support whatsoever :D

Nvidia wouldn't even arm him with the authority to even talk about any possible compensation...

Nvidia sold a 4GB card. The card has 4GB of VRAM. Yes, not all of it accessible at the maximum speed, and it's split into 3.5GB and 0.5GB, but it's still 4GB. Unless it is advertised as being accessible at maximum speed, there isn't actually any false advertising going on.

It was obviously an architectural decision, for whatever reason. We will probably never know the answer as to why it was done.

I am going with it was more misscommunication of information, or a mix up somewhere, rather than deliberate lying. Maybe this teaches us a lesson to buy EVGA ;)

There are two issues for nvidia:

1. false advertising
2. leaving out important information

Even if they've not done 1 (because you think that 3.5+0.5 = 4), they've definitely done 2 (because they didn't tell us that 4 = 3.5+0.5).

It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not and as such the consumer will be entitled to a refund if they're upset about this or worried about the performance of their card in future games that they anticipate will require 4gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom