• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
8GB is really only for 4k resolutions to be honest. At your resolution any game using more than 4GB is literally a handful of games or games with extensive mods such as texture packs etc.

99% of the games on the market 4GB is more than enough for upto 1440P resolutions.

4k is the killer on VRAM and even 4GB is not enough then, hence why we try to stick to the 290X 8GB in crossfire on X99 platforms as the best recommended gaming 4k platform is money permits.

Thank you :) 1440p is perfect for me at the moment, can't see myself upgrading to 4k for some time.

Thank you :) 1440p is perfect for me at the moment, can't see myself upgrading to 4k for some time.

No problem, if we still had TitanZ's we'd recommend them but in December we sold over 100 of them, they went very fast when people realised when it comes to 4k to enjoy it properly you need 6-8GB of VRAM to enjoy maximum quality.

I think the answer is I'm looking for is what IS the best solution for running 1440p and gaming at max /ultra. 4k I have no interest in. My 970 sli appeared to be OK as only of this week have I played games hitting the memory limit causing this hideous stuttering and general craziness.

I can understand why 970 owners are annoyed, despite the fact the performance hasn't changed. It's just the feeling of not getting what you paid for (or at least thought you were getting).

Makes me glad I got the 980s now, which was odd as usually I get the next card down from the top (with new cards) as it usually makes more sense, but for some reason I didn't (I think the 980 had a few extra features I thought would be nice). So I think I dodged a bullett there!

Hope a satisfactory resolution is rached for current owners though, be it via a driver (or firmware?) update or by getting a refund.

Hopefully this won't have too bad a knock on effect for Nvidia in the future as we need them as an alternative to keep AMD honest (and vice-versa).

Yes true.

but i'd rather 4GB than 3.5GB.

To be honest, the reality is if your game is using more than 3.5GB, its also gonna be using more than 4GB also.

3.5GB or 4GB, the performance will be the same.

The issue is how the card is addressing it, if they could sort it so the ram is performing better or partition it so 0.5GB is OS and 3.5GB is game then the performance would be improved.

As the OS is always typically consuming 200MB-600MB in VRAM, but I have no idea if drivers can be programmed to sort it or not or if the performance can be increased. Only NVIDIA can give a solution to that or a fix.

They have not informed us anything yet.

Come of the phone not long ago, basically requested I have a solution by tomorrow otherwise OcUK will take its own action for our own customers.

We want our customers happy, so we want a solution and want it ASAP, they've promised to come back to me.

I want to give my customers a solution by end of play tomorrow, it is what I am pushing very hard for and determined to get it. :)

If a driver resolves it then awesome, but if not possible I want a happy outcome for OcUK customers, working on it guys and will have more updates tomorrow. :)

thank you Gibbo, look forward to seeing what happens by Friday at the latest

Give NVidia a nudge about the Maxwell Titan please.:D

Dude I nudge them all the bloody time, like where the hell are my 980 8GB's, had 10,000 order request in since October, they'd sell like crazy and the market needs them now, there are no big VRAM cards left except the 290X and those are hard come by and becoming to get low in numbers.

So NVIDIA need to give us 980 8GB, as good as Titan II or X or whatever they call it will be, you will also be paying a lot for it, though I know I can count on you to buy at least 4 of them irrelevant of the price. :D

Titan II/X will be immense, but expensive and sell.
980 8GB would be about £100 more than 980 4GB but sell in 1000's and very fast!

My view is we need a 980 Ultra 8GB with prices at £599.99, it should feature 1304MHz base clock, 1414MHz boost clock and 7200MHz 8GB GDDR5 memory with a Titan cooler, NVIDIA could build it now and absolutely clean up, so come on NVIDIA please build it, pretty please!!!!!

The reason I considred the 8gbs is you hear oh 2gb is enough, then 3, then 4.. are the newer games going to start demanding 5-8gb for maximum settings? It's lazy coding for sure.

With all GPU setups you have to compromise somewhere for example I use 4 x 290Xs @4K but my cards only have 4gb, I could get some of the 8gb versions but I don't want to as they are a little bit slower than the 4gb ones due to the extra memory running a little slower. I would rather have the raw speed than the extra VRAM on my 290Xs which means I can get higher fps but may have to turn the settings down a bit @4K.

I am having issues with CSGO and now this game is not game intensive or highly detailed.

I use the optimised settings from the Nvidia software and then change it to 3840 x 2160. for a short period of gaming the card is fine as the vram gets used more and more the game then starts to stutter and then fps drops as a result.

you can tell its the gpu as when I lower the screen ress down to 1920 by 1080 everything appears fine as its using less vram.

To be honest, the reality is if your game is using more than 3.5GB, its also gonna be using more than 4GB also.

The issue is how the card is addressing it, if they could sort it so the ram is performing better or partition it so 0.5GB is OS and 3.5GB is game then the performance would be improved.

As the OS is always typically consuming 200MB-600MB in VRAM, but I have no idea if drivers can be programmed to sort it or not or if the performance can be increased. Only NVIDIA can give a solution to that or a fix.

If they really can fix the speed then fair enough but its highly doubtful as its a GPU issue at the end of the day.

But the cards have been impressive, i had 2 4GB 670s before and i thought these would be a nice upgrade, which they are 90% of the time.

It's Nvidias issue.

Gibbo, thanks for the response. Dropped £600 on a pair of 970 SLI which have been fine in 1440p but the reason for doing it was to future proof a bit. I'm about to drop £800 on a 3440 x 1440 monitor and very concerned that I'll be up against VRAM limits. I am over the 3.5gb in Crysis 3 on my 3x 1080p setup so suspect similar issues may arise on the 34".

Credit or whatever would work, I'd probably keep hold of it for a bit and jump on a pair of 980Ti when released :D

You've given us all better answers then Rick! Thank you.
Oh and any chance of a VERY CHEAP KFA2 GeForce GTX 970 tomorrow? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom