• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you either want the faster card or you don't, as you order is not shipped you can change it at any time.

But the 970 card which won all those reviews and has being raved about for months, is still that same excellent card, nothing has changed in the way it has performed since day one. So you only need to upgrade if you now feel a 970 is not powerful enough for you. :)

Nope. The main reason i went for the 970 was 4gb of memory on a 256bit bus with the cache and the ROPS it was advertised as having. Not 3.5gb of memory with .5gb of memory that causes stuttering when used and less specification than it was advertised by NVIDIA as having. And some 'average FPS' fob off.

The 980 is as described, the 970 i ordered is not. Also, the 970 was really more than i wanted to spend. I was tempted into it by your tinkering and the 4gb of full speed memory i was informed of. I cannot afford a 980. Nor can i run an AMD space heater in my aircooled SFF pc. The only route for me in this case is down to a 960 which is even less suitable for what i want

I'm quite aware that futureproofing does not exist, but i had in mind performance at certain settings over time. Only to find out that the £300 card i ordered probably isn't as good for that as i was led to believe it was by false advertising.

£300 clearly isn't as large a chunk of the available funds for other people as it is for me - seeing the specs some people talk about. It's a LOT of money for me. Please don't mistake the tone of my posts for someone who isn't feeling negative about their purchase, because i am. I am apocalyptically furious mixed with a lot of disappointment and feeling lied to by NVIDIA.

Right I am off home, might be online later.

Try not to kill each other in my absence otherwise the mods will be coming for you and if your really naughty 8 Pack will find you and well you know the rest. ;)

Only I have a handle, when I have the solution then I will inform the rest of OcUK, but no one else in OcUK be as upto speed as myself as it is me who is sorting this.

Check out this glory hound lol :D.

This right here is the reason why I will always recommend OcUK to anyone though, top notch CS.

Be fair, Rick has joined the forums to try and help, NVIDIA typically do not have forum reps, so this is a new battleground for him, the fact is they are trying to help and resolve matters.

People need to realise things can take time to find an outcome which works for all worldwide and that such a solution cannot come about in minutes, or even hours and will most likely take days.

But thanks for my 10/10! :D

and to be fair also a lot of people just asked him stuff which was impossible to answer
.....and not like nvidia gave him much to appease people

I think there are a number of reasons why people are angry. Whatever the case, I would say the average buyer fixates on VRAM, I mean you only have to look at those shoddy sellers on ebay selling cards with 8GB VRAM and 6GB of that is shared system memory. People don't like to be deceived even if it wasn't intentional I think if this came out a week after release, people would feel a little better about the situation.

The issue I've experienced is microstuter, and even hitching using 2 970s on the latest games. It's almost like the graphics driver tries to limit the game to 3.5gb, but it's pushing against the engine.

Nope. The main reason i went for the 970 was 4gb of memory on a 256bit bus with the cache and the ROPS it was advertised as having. Not 3.5gb of memory with .5gb of memory that causes stuttering when used and less specification than it was advertised by NVIDIA as having. And some 'average FPS' fob off.

The 980 is as described, the 970 i ordered is not. Also, the 970 was really more than i wanted to spend. I was tempted into it by your tinkering and the 4gb of full speed memory i was informed of. I cannot afford a 980. Nor can i run an AMD space heater in my aircooled SFF pc. The only route for me in this case is down to a 960 which is even less suitable for what i want

I'm quite aware that futureproofing does not exist, but i had in mind performance at certain settings over time. Only to find out that the £300 card i ordered probably isn't as good for that as i was led to believe it was by false advertising.

£300 clearly isn't as large a chunk of the available funds for other people as it is for me - seeing the specs some people talk about. It's a LOT of money for me. Please don't mistake the tone of my posts for someone who isn't feeling negative about their purchase, because i am. I am apocalyptically furious mixed with a lot of disappointment and feeling lied to by NVIDIA.

First off, NVIDIA neither Etailors advertised ROPS. NVIDIA advertised bandwidth which is exactly what the card can deliver. The card is not miss-advertised.

Just to clear it up, if the card had more ROPs, it would not offer any more performance, so people need to drop the ROPs, it was never advertised as such and even if it had more it would not perform any faster or better.

The only issue is the way the memory is addressed, it has 4GB of RAM, it can use 4GB of RAM, it is how it is used, for all we know this could be fixable, but we don't know, we, me, you and everyone else is not NVIDIA, this could just be a driver/game issue.

If you think the 970 is not for you and you don't want to spend more than £300 then check out the 290X they do offer similar performance or very close too and we do have some good deals on them from £250. :)

and to be fair also a lot of people just asked him stuff which was impossible to answer
.....and not like nvidia gave him much to appease people

It is no different than what I am experiencing with Ford right now, Hi I want to spend money with you, can I get this option on my car, how about this and how about that. They can't give me answers because they don't know as they are waiting for some big boss in HQ or some team to provide them the answer. So now they just be honest and say dunno, or they make crap up and make more more mad. :D

I am sure a solution will be found tomorrow. :)

Some saying it's blown at of proportion etc... it's a bit of a cop out.

They're not the most expensive cards on the planet but in the grand scheme of things they're still a lot of money.

People have paid £600+ for sli and the least they expect is a) it not to squeal at you with coil whine and b) for it to use the advertised 4gb without problem, not stutter and cause issues when it hits over 3.5gb.

Whether its a handful of games or every game, simply put the product does not work as intended and is not acceptable. Granted for most they won't notice if using lower resolutions and will no doubt be more than happy. Others may have the issues and believe it's game related.

All in all i hope a solution becomes available soon.

If you think the 970 is not for you and you don't want to spend more than £300 then check out the 290X they do offer similar performance or very close too and we do have some good deals on them from £250. :)

i would, but sadly a 275w TDP card is way beyond the thermal capabilities of my case. By about 100w. Also, it would ruin the quietness of my build

you aren't making me any happier tbh. I should have just waited for your posts tomorrow.

Nothing can change the fact that this GPU was misrepresented to everyone involved in the chain by NVIDIA. Including people who manufacture and/or put their company name to cards bearing this GPU.

We paid for a 4gb card that can use its 4gb full speed not as a 3.5gb card with .5gb of vram that causes stuttering.

If NVIDIA can fix it so the card can use its full 4gb without performance detriment then OK, but looking at the information they have already given us, that looks unlikely.

The line seems to be 'its still an awesome card, shut up whiner'

Awesome or no, it was still misrepresented. It's not as awesome as we were told it is

I immediately noticed a rather stuttery feeling to many games when I upgraded from a Radeon 7950 in November. I returned the first card I bought (Inno3d Gtx 970) because it had quite a bit of stutter in farcry 4 and Watchdogs but thought it was due to heat issues or a faulty card. I got a refund but like an idiot fell for it a second time when the Galax was on special offer. The Nvidia forums made me think the stutter was because of drivers and should improve but now I know why its happening.

This is a major bummer and Nvidia has to accept its at fault. I wish I had stayed with AMD..never had a problem like coil whine or stutter.
Yea I do recall seeing people mentioning having stuttering issue even way before those whole 3.5GB+512MB memory thing surfaced, but some Nvidia "users" helpfully reassuring them it's just result of poor drivers of late, or Ubisoft games bring POS...

Shame what you said will be ignored or pretend not been read by those people that will continue going on preaching it as people making a big deal out of a "non-issue", and how those 970 owners enquiring about possible refund being shameful...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom