• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will stick with my 970's and see what games are like when my 4k monitor comes back from repair. Not everyone is outraged.

No because in reality its being blown all out of proportion, only a week ago everyone was recommending the 970 to each other as the card to buy, it still is the card to buy.

I am little surprised at the outrage, OK I can understand how customers might feel annoyed, but every single GPU has had game related performance issues whether it be performance, poor image quality or the game crashing. Which the game developer and NVIDIA/AMD have always resolved with software updates.

This is no different, we have literally a handful of games displaying an issue, which I suspect will all be fixed with a software update.

Anyway we've pushed NVIDIA hard for a solution, even talking to them now and we hope and will give updates tomorrow.

If I get a phone call later with updates I will post it tonight, because OcUK is good like that, we work round the clock. :)

Gibbo, thanks for the response. Dropped £600 on a pair of 970 SLI which have been fine in 1440p but the reason for doing it was to future proof a bit. I'm about to drop £800 on a 3440 x 1440 monitor and very concerned that I'll be up against VRAM limits. I am over the 3.5gb in Crysis 3 on my 3x 1080p setup so suspect similar issues may arise on the 34".

Credit or whatever would work, I'd probably keep hold of it for a bit and jump on a pair of 980Ti when released :D

3440x1440 will take you well over 4GB, so you will need to reduce detail settings.

No because in reality its being blown all out of proportion, only a week ago everyone was recommending the 970 to each other as the card to buy, it still is the card to buy.

I am little surprised at the outrage, OK I can understand how customers might feel annoyed, but every single GPU has had game related performance issues whether it be performance, poor image quality or the game crashing. Which the game developer and NVIDIA/AMD have always resolved with software updates.

This is no different, we have literally a handful of games displaying an issue, which I suspect will all be fixed with a software update.

Anyway we've pushed NVIDIA hard for a solution, even talking to them now and we hope and will give updates tomorrow.

If I get a phone call later with updates I will post it tonight, because OcUK is good like that, we work round the clock. :)

Appreciate it Gibbo :)

Thank you :) 1440p is perfect for me at the moment, can't see myself upgrading to 4k for some time.

Don't blame you, i'm still on 1080p 120hz and the games i play at 120fps are extremely smooth.. the bad thing for me now is that motion looks a bit crappy when other games drop to around 50fps, which i wouldn't consider a low frame rate anyway. 1440p would be the max i go for some time due to power needed just for decent fps.120hz/144hz makes a bigger difference than i realized.

Here are some frametime results. Use Google translate to read some of the site, I am too lazy at the moment :p

Make whatever deductions/conclusions you want from this info.

PCGamesHardware.de:

p0oDb0Q.png
Xew0wIU.png

qg93AHQ.png
DJrIvi4.png

Now this is why everyone is complaining. The frame times are noticeably higher on the 970 even when the card is using less the 3.5GB. This would result in the occasional stutter and lack of perceived smoothness during gameplay

The other major thing is why the card is using less than 3.9gb even when set at the same settings as for the gtx 980. They both are supposed to have 4GB so why the discrepancy.
Wouldn't it be common sense to expect the game to use the same amount of memory with the same settings when the same amount of memory is available?

It's obvious Nvidia have made sure that the gtx 970 does not go into the separate 0.5Gb via drivers or bios . The game is probably not being allowed access to the extra memory unless as an absolutely last resort.

I immediately noticed a rather stuttery feeling to many games when I upgraded from a Radeon 7950 in November. I returned the first card I bought (Inno3d Gtx 970) because it had quite a bit of stutter in farcry 4 and Watchdogs but thought it was due to heat issues or a faulty card. I got a refund but like an idiot fell for it a second time when the Galax was on special offer. The Nvidia forums made me think the stutter was because of drivers and should improve but now I know why its happening.

This is a major bummer and Nvidia has to accept its at fault. I wish I had stayed with AMD..never had a problem like coil whine or stutter.

Last edited:
Regarding Arma3

I play it pretty regularly and since i switched to a 970, the nvidia driver is constantly crashing with it.I thought at first it was just generally bad drivers.But now the vram situation is known,it makes me reconsider why the game keeps crashing.I play at 1080p but i run settings that push vram usage towards 3.3-3.5gb range,starting to think this may be part of the reason for constant crashes.

Game never crashed on my 280x :/

Really nervous about how my 970 will hold up with some actual demanding games,like TW3 Batman:AK with the vram situation

Rick,i wouldnt have bought this card if nvidia had been honest at the initial reveal.I had plans to buy a 2nd one in the coming month or too.But that certainly wont be happening now.
Hoping nvidia do the right thing and offer full refunds for those who are unhappy with the current situation.I feel really bad for sli owners and those who bought 4k/1440p monitors to go with their pair of 970's.

I'd give Gibbo a 10/10 on this one.

Rick, about a 4.

Be fair, Rick has joined the forums to try and help, NVIDIA typically do not have forum reps, so this is a new battleground for him, the fact is they are trying to help and resolve matters.

People need to realise things can take time to find an outcome which works for all worldwide and that such a solution cannot come about in minutes, or even hours and will most likely take days.

But thanks for my 10/10! :D

Gibbo and Ocuk seem to have a handle on this. I'll drop by tomorrow and see what's occurring rather keep posting here with my little niggles.

Only I have a handle, when I have the solution then I will inform the rest of OcUK, but no one else in OcUK be as upto speed as myself as it is me who is sorting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom