• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compensation, free games, free upgrades will not be happening because then every 970 owner would go for it, in short take the mick and abuse the offer.

From your experience,if say nvidia agreed to refund people who RMA bought from OCuk would they then be forced to extend the offer to all retailors,at least within that Country?

I ask as i never got mine from OCuk,as the card i wanted was out of stock here and it was during silly season of the shortages near launch :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, do we have any rough ideas on the predicted performance of the new AMD cards coming in march and a rough idea of pricing? I paid £300 for my G1 gaming gtx970 and if i can return and get a creditnote or full refund, i will manage with my onboard GPU for a month or so if its worth hanging on for these cards. I wish i hadnt upgraded my 7970GHZ to the 970 now.....

From your experience,if say nvidia agreed to refund people who RMA bought from OCuk would they then be forced to extend the offer to all retailors,at least within that Country?

I ask as i never got mine from OCuk,as the card i wanted was out of stock here and it was during silly season of the shortages near launch :/

A NVIDIA solution will be across all etailors one would expect.
If we make our own solution it shall be only for our customers.

Just out of curiosity, do we have any rough ideas on the predicted performance of the new AMD cards coming in march and a rough idea of pricing? I paid £300 for my G1 gaming gtx970 and if i can return and get a creditnote or full refund, i will manage with my onboard GPU for a month or so if its worth hanging on for these cards. I wish i hadnt upgraded my 7970GHZ to the 970 now.....

Reliable sources today informed me June...........

Ok in what way is doing it correctly would win them new customers?

a lot of sales is about image
giving a full refund when they could scrap it out instead is obviously much better for their image
depending how they do it could be great for them, im betting there wont be the huge amount of returns some people are thinking anyway

See what i mean, i can see quite a large amount of 970 owners getting a refund or credit note and going AMD, AMD must be loving all this, bet they are hoping Intel mess up big time. :D

I'd theorize that if they did a free upgrade to 980s, virtually every single person would do it = a massive cost. Refunds will be a much smaller number as some can't be bothered to send it back and wait for a new card.

The VRAM advertising with dual GPU's and the 970 VRAM advertising aren't the same (Not that I agree with the dual GPU VRAM stuff)

You are quite correct and that was a poor showing from me.

I just feel people are reading too much into this and sure there are some people with issues but it is the same card that worked perfectly for 99% of people prior to this news.

In light of an upcoming solution that could mean a return and credit/swap for a different card, can you help clear something up in my mind fellas?

I don't want to return the card if I don't have to, especially it fits my needs... (as much as I think this has been poor form for Nvidia. )

Is there a definitive answer to my Q.... Are the 970's good enough for 1440p gaming at 3.5gb speedy vram? or does it ideally need more, ie full 4gb at full speed from a 290x or a 980?

I was intending on picking up a new 1440p monitor next month, and then maybe SLI if necessary for TW3, FC4, SOM etc. I have no interest in 4k.

If my Galax infinite black will do this nicely, especially OC'd, then great. No issue from me, and even will look to buy another at some point..

If not though, I potentially would look to go for something that will deliver what I want.

PS: Great input from OCUK/Gibbo over the last few hours. Has really turned the thread around and given it some direction, as well as the problem. Nice work mate.

You are quite correct and that was a poor showing from me.

I just feel people are reading too much into this and sure there are some people with issues but it is the same card that worked perfectly for 99% of people prior to this news.

The VRAM issue may explain issues that some people have experienced during the months the card has existed (For those that have had them)

There's also the potential for the card not being as smooth as it should be due to this VRAM thing.

Basically, the way I see it, if it was a small issue, then I don't think we'd see Gibbo pushing for refunds.

ohhh but the advert says 8GB :p
It does have 8GB of vram working as intended as how we all know how dual-GPU card would use it and at the rated bandwidth, while the same cannot be said for the 4GB of the 970.

Stop trying drag AMD into this Nvidia mess. No matter how much you try to sugar coat it as "jesting", it is very clear you are troll baiting- a lot lately.

Seriously Greg...go play some games instead. Honestly I don't remember you being this bad half a year or so ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom