• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is that there is a point where 3.5 will struggle as opposed to 4gb. If you catch my drift !

Yes but in all seriousness if your going past 3.5GB your also gonna be going past 4GB as well very soon.

But as I've already said and has being the case with all cards, reducing a texture setting in-game can have a minor effect on image quality but a drastic improvement in performance.

I'd rather game at 100fps with medium/high details in complete smoothness especially if on a 120Hz panel rather than game at say 50-60fps with massive stutters at high/ultra settings. I'd have a far more enjoyable experience from having much higher constant FPS.

tommy still trolling. so sad.

Nvidia lying to their paying customers-me(2 x Nvidia systems v 1 Amd system), I've bought and paid for my tuppence worth mate.

Considering the blatant vendor/shill reviewer lying going on, with the amount of NDL anything AMD related trolling(you know 40-60 anti AMD posts in a few hundred comment thread like the usual suspects go for), I would like to think I'm being nice with this just my 9th post in what, a near 4000 comment thread?

:)

Nvidia say they are happy to help if you want a refund, my question is what's Overclockers official stance on the whole refunds thing? I doubt many will want a refund as the 970 is still the best value for money card at least for me, but I just want to know my options are, I wanted a GPU that's future proof for years, Obviously 970 isn't as good as i thought it was, I was going to get another one to SLI with but that does little to the whole issue of VRAM.

If that's the case and the VRAM doesn't tally. What is the point of going SLI in the first place?

For the extra gpu grunt. That's like asking why someone would upgrade their cpu without upgrading their RAM. If they need more cpu power but have plenty of RAM then there is no need. Same deal with sli.

Yes but in all seriousness if your going past 3.5GB your also gonna be going past 4GB as well very soon.

But as I've already said and has being the case with all cards, reducing a texture setting in-game can have a minor effect on image quality but a drastic improvement in performance.

I'd rather game at 100fps with medium/high details in complete smoothness especially if on a 120Hz panel rather than game at say 50-60fps with massive stutters at high/ultra settings. I'd have a far more enjoyable experience from having much higher constant FPS.

People are complaining about the stutter that occurs way before the 3.5GB threshold as seen on many frame-time analysis against the 980..

I don't see it my self but that's down to the awesome Asus Swift Gsync monitor.

Nvidia say they are happy to help if you want a refund, my question is what's Overclockers official stance on the whole refunds thing? I doubt many will want a refund as the 970 is still the best value for money card at least for me, but I just want to know my options are, I wanted a GPU that's future proof for years, Obviously 970 isn't as good as i thought it was, I was going to get another one to SLI with but that does little to the whole issue of VRAM.

There will be some word from OCUK today if NVidia don't come out with something.

And as far as I'm aware NVidia haven't said they are happy to help with a refund, a forum post from one of their employee's (no matter how senior) is not NVidia as a company saying anything.

Although I'd be pleased if I am wrong and missed were they have said that.

There will be some word from OCUK today if NVidia don't come out with something.

And as far as I'm aware NVidia haven't said they are happy to help with a refund, a forum post from one of their employee's (no matter how senior) is not NVidia as a company saying anything.

Although I'd be pleased if I am wrong and missed were they have said that.

that Nvidia guy will personally help you if you want a refund but can't get one, Nvidia can't fix this, it's a hardware thing, best they can do is stop the stutter but lets be real here, people want a refund because it's effectively a 3.5GB VRAM GPU and we've been mislead.

lol gm
kaap but which games??

to the above..
i agree pc gamers do need to tweak more, cant just put everything on max
i think thats one of the good things about pc gaming

I play Civ5 a lot and that should run fine if I turn the settings down a bit.

I will also have a quick look at other games to see how low I have to go on the settings but I think I will be able to get most of them to run ok.

I think people are getting way to obsessed with hardware specs in this thread and missing the obvious. If people are into running everything with ultra settings how may of them can run Crysis 3 @1080p maxed and keep a 144htz monitor busy. The answer is hardly anyone so do they send their cards back because they can not do 1080p or do they turn the settings down.:)

Depends on the game, right now a 980 will absolutely power through any game at 1440P, but next year who knows.

If you do come across a game which uses the 4GB up and it slows down, simply reduce a setting to bring the performance back up.

From my own experience I'd say a single 980 is fine for 1440p60, if you want 1440p144 and are targeting over 100fps pretty consistently, get 2.

This tbh, I'm still on older 3gb 780's. Grand for my games at 1920x1200. Play a lot of bf4, which this setup can max out with ease. But for mp I run with everything on low. Saves any fps dips, makes people easier to see/shoot too which helps.

People are complaining about the stutter that occurs way before the 3.5GB threshold as seen on many frame-time analysis against the 980..

I don't see it my self but that's down to the awesome Asus Swift Gsync monitor.

If it is before the 3.5GB then that makes no sense at all, unless the driver is not addressing the memory right.

Based on what your saying, that is without doubt a driver related issue and one which can be fixed. I am fairly sure NVIDIA can programme the driver to only use the 3.5GB faster pool first if it is already not which would prevent that issue. The more difficult part would be if they can programme the driver so that the OS operates out of the 500MB slower pool reserving the full 3.5GB for games as then it would resolve the issue and in effect you'd be no worse off as the operating system typically uses around 200-600MB of VRAM anyway.

Its a 4GB card, it can use all 4GB at same time, the issue is and what is being questioned is how it uses that 4GB.

I'm glad I held off purchasing a 970 now. I have been thinking of getting a g1 for ages, but in light of the vram issues, I think will now wait for the next tier of gpus or hope the gtx 980 comes down in price at some point.

I'm glad I held off purchasing a 970 now. I have been thinking of getting a g1 for ages, but in light of the vram issues, I think will now wait for the next tier of gpus or hope the gtx 980 comes down in price at some point.

In the last 2 months I seen the price go up ever so slightly, the cheapest 980 I seen in December was at £399, now the cheapest is somewhere around £450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom