• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
and the GTX 970 isn't a mid range card -that's the GTX 960 and 960Ti , the GTX 970 is low `high end`.

970 is not high-end, its not really mid-range its in the middle.

980, Titan, 295 X2 are classed as high-end. High-end is 4k, 970 are not much cop at 4k, never have being and never will be.

What's your opinion at running 1440p Gibbo. Will they cut it with the memory issue?

Well in my view a 290/970 were fine for 1440P in pretty much most games at high details, some might not have the FPS you desire on maximum details, but that is the beauty of being able to add a second for SLI/Crossfire.

I will be honest I never thought I'd see games starting to use more than 4GB of VRAM so easily at 1440P let alone 1080P, it just seems in the last 12 months the game developers have got sloppy or its due to console ports.

Either way whereas 2GB and 3GB cards were acceptable for so long at 1600P gaming and less, it seems 4GB will be very short lived and if your planning on 4GB well if you want to play maximum textures in future releases you most probably won't be able too with silky smooth frame rates, and will have to adjust a setting or two lower.

But then ask yourself this, noticing the difference between high and ultra setting on a game when your actually playing the game is pretty hard to notice, as when I game I am gaming, not stood still looking at close detail to a brick wall admiring textures. Then the fact is running at such high settings means lower FPS so reducing a setting not only improves gameplay due to higher FPS but of course your less likely to run out of VRAM so less stuttering also.

I would now recommend VRAM on the following:
720P: 2-3GB
1080P: 4GB
1440P: 4-6GB
2160P (4K): 8GB

That is what I would suggest to be upto 2-3yr approx. future proof on future gaming on VRAM.

Last edited:
yes will be interesting to see the all the options available.

some people will be returning for full refund if possible .
some would like to keep with maybe rebate .(if above happens there should be a rebate)
some would swop for relevant AMD cards.

hopefully all bases are covered.

well its obvious nvidia are going to rush a driver out. imagine re-funding every 970 gtx owner. you talking hundreds of millions. that aint happening.

driver update may help a little but it doesn't solve the way they deceitfully sold the cards. they knew about them. you don't own companies products to such a value and not know. thats BS.

Now don't burn me at the stake, however l bought the GTX 970 for the TDP and 4gb, it is just as fast as for "me" personally @ 2560*1080 as my R9 290X.

Ideally l use the R9 290X in winter and the GTX 970 in summer j/k.

The OcUK GTX 970 allows me to run it in a case with all the fans at min, whilst keeping the temps in check.

So ultimatly l went for the card due to efficiency with the GPU grunt l needed at the relolution that l game at.

Down the road l will prob SLi with another OcUK GTX 970 and still keep the low power requirement that l was looking for.

I couldn't live with knowing my 970 had freaky Vram.

Oh come on its getting really ridiculous now.

There are a lot of other people in this world which are a lot worse off than you and to come out with such a flippant remark is inexcusable.

Its sad the 970 will now be remembered for the wrong reasons other than being a remarkable card when really it does not warrant all the negative comments in this thread.

I would now recommend VRAM on the following:
720P: 2-3GB
1080P: 4GB
1440P: 4-6GB
2160P (4K): 8GB

That is what I would suggest to be upto 2-3yr approx. future proof on future gaming on VRAM.

That's the 970 ******!

970 top choice for future proofing@720p.:p

well its obvious nvidia are going to rush a driver out. imagine re-funding every 970 gtx owner. you talking hundreds of millions. that aint happening.

Nvidia will be offering free 512MB usb sticks for enabling superfetch as means of compensation, sorted.

9ER7snZ.jpg

#970GATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom